HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2010, 04:32 PM
Failure is an option !
Marseille - France
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Well guys I sell mine if anyone is interested : only 5 flights and perfect condition : xeno + tuning set up (with alloy shaft installed) + 2 mpx servos + mpx carry bag. 199 euros shipped in Europe.
austin13 is offline Find More Posts by austin13
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2010, 04:56 PM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Hi guys
Here is a pic of my finished xeno. Some modifications where needed after a unsuccessful power off madden launch. It went about 5 meters then skidded along the ground and striped one of the servos. I don’t understand why multiplex put the servos, pushrods and control horns under the wing as they are the lowest part when landing. I have moved the pushrods through the wing and the control horns are now on the top of the elevons. This makes the underside nice and smooth for landings. I then reinforced the wing with carbon tube on the top and extended the existing carbon spar with some more tube on the bottom i love the way you can use cyano on this foam. This has made the wing very ridged with virtually no flex and i feel much more confident in it being able to handle the extra weight of my fpv gear, higher speeds and wing assisted harder landings
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Last edited by fpvnick; May 07, 2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:47 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,144 Posts
alright, got the xeno and official powerpack.
well.. have two of them.. one set to ship to a winner.
I'll get some proper vid.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old May 14, 2010, 10:32 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
hay nice gfburke can i be the winner lol
here is quick not very exiting vid of my xeno maiden flight this is after the 1st maiden launch falier. This thing is hard to fly when its painted balck and you are flying conventionally so i didn’t take it to far away. But very stealthy when flying fpv o and by the time i had landed and got the fpv set up the red kite at 25 sec had gone hopfuly next time ill get to fly with him.
http://vimeo.com/11691446
Old May 14, 2010, 11:29 AM
Grenoble-France
Joined Sep 2007
67 Posts
Hi, did the first flight too, hard to launch with 1700/3s lipos and the HeroHd, need to fix vibes.

Xeno maiden (1 min 38 sec)
momozzzz is offline Find More Posts by momozzzz
Old May 14, 2010, 11:47 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Momozzzz that was hard to launch im surprised you didn’t strip the servos before you got her up in the air my servos broke on the first launch but they weren’t mg servos just some cheep new ones i had laying around. That is some great land scape you have to fly in there very picturesque.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:22 PM
Grenoble-France
Joined Sep 2007
67 Posts
thanks fpvnick, yes i'm lucky to have mg-servos and tall grass
momozzzz is offline Find More Posts by momozzzz
Old May 17, 2010, 09:51 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
I am a big fan of Multiplex, I own a Funjet and a EasyStar and I have a Xeno in my shopping cart at Advantage Hobby. But after reading this thread I am getting mixed feelings on this wing, should I pull the trigger or pass on it?
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old May 17, 2010, 11:51 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post
I am a big fan of Multiplex, I own a Funjet and a EasyStar and I have a Xeno in my shopping cart at Advantage Hobby. But after reading this thread I am getting mixed feelings on this wing, should I pull the trigger or pass on it?
Well, the Xeno is not as fast or agile as the FunJet, but a much better model for slope soaring. It is a sports model which is easy to take on holidays. The problem with the drive shaft is fixed and the servos at the belly are OK, as long as you land on grass.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 18, 2010, 07:12 AM
Multirotors blow
Peterborough, England
Joined Dec 2006
894 Posts
Dustypockets - I have been flying my Xeno for months now and am very happy with it but it does need some modifications to get the best from it IMHO. I feel that Multiplex should address these problems if they want the Xeno to sell consistently for years to come.

1. Increase the fin area - these post will give you an idea what to do - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=677
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=678
2. Modify the control linkages to exit from the top of the wing - it's easy to do if you give it a bit of thought.
3. I understand that they have now changed the drive shaft from a carbon rod to a metal one. To be honest, if you never run the motor while it is on the ground the carbon rod is fine as long as you alighn it correctly when you first assemble it - see this post - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=404
4. And my last request is - give it a go, you will love it.

George
georgebinns is online now Find More Posts by georgebinns
Old May 18, 2010, 07:57 AM
A fool in a field.
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Done, can pick it up after 5:00. Living just down the road from Horizon Hobby can be a blessing or a curse depending on your point of view.

Thanks
Old May 18, 2010, 09:38 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebinns View Post
I feel that Multiplex should address these problems if they want the Xeno to sell consistently for years to come.

1. Increase the fin area ...
2. Modify the control linkages to exit from the top of the wing - it's easy to do if you give it a bit of thought.
3. I understand that they have now changed the drive shaft from a carbon rod to a metal one. To be honest, if you never run the motor while it is on the ground the carbon rod is fine as long as you alighn it correctly when you first assemble it ...
Hi George,

I am not too sure whether increasing the fin area is such a good idea, especially when flying in cross wind turbulence, i.e. slope soaring.

Control linkages on top are better, except from an aesthetics point of view.

The CRP drive shaft is only good for the basic drive. On the Tuning drive it will fail - no matter how well aligned.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2010, 10:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
"Control linkages on top are better, except from an aesthetics point of view."

one of the first lessons from my design degree the principle of Form follows function
Old May 18, 2010, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
one of the first lessons from my design degree the principle of Form follows function
This does not apply to fashion.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2010, 07:27 PM
A fool in a field.
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
I have it all glued up with 1 coat of lacquer to keep it clean and help decal adhesion. As expected a nice kit. Servo horns top or bottom still pending a nights sleep, a bit surprised MPX did not do a servo cover like the Funjet but no big deal.

I like the curves of the Xeno, whats the old saying.....if it looks good it will fly good. Time will tell.

Happy flying

Dusty