HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:18 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
I don' know having never read the manual, quite franky as I said before the Xeno is not my sort of plane...

In posting my original comments I just wanted to make people aware of the review, as a different side of the story...

Anyway I am done defending the rights of the reviewer. ...
Defending the rights of the reviewer? Nobody asked you to defend the reviewer.

It looks like the reviewer has not read the instruction manual either.

The Xeno has a few weak points, like the high price tag for the drive sets, the carbon fibre drive shaft for the tuning drive, the bottom mounted linkages and perhaps a slight tendency to oscillate around the vertical axis, but those points seem to got missed by the reviewer.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:36 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
I am sure they will make it track better! I just made some for mine out of Foam,will sand them to shape, and glass them with light cloth. Thanks for the idea
Joe
Hi Joe,

while bigger vertical fins will dampen oscillations around the vertical axis better, they will not help handling crosswind turbulence. That being said, you can always buy a spare set of fins to play with.

Jürgen
Old Apr 07, 2010, 03:52 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamBeZi View Post
Pook, I made the Hub myself, customised for the Aeronaut folding blades; works brilliantly and very well balanced.
Because the Hyperion outrunner has no possibility to bolt directly the hub on the motor (like the Axi-motor with the hub made by KD), I unfortunately had to use a propadapter, which means a few extra grams on the worst possible place in the airframe. Because of that I needed a little bit more ballast in the nose.

I had to make front- and backplates in various lengths (in steps of 0.50 mm) to find the sweet spot to prevent the blades cutting the foam:

very nice
do you have photos of finished xeno?
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Apr 07, 2010, 03:56 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun View Post
very nice
do you have photos of finished xeno?
He already posted pictures here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=691

Jürgen
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:49 AM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
Alex; see post Jurgen linked.

Anybody: when trimmed right, are the elevons exactly parallel to the fuse? (like before they were cut to make them turn).
Couldn’t do a good trimjob yesterday because of the windy conditions, but it looks like I had to trim the elevons a little bit down to fly level (perhaps I need a little bit more ballast in the nose, although the Xeno flew ok in these conditions). It seems that motor on/off doesn’t really influences this, which means the downtrust of my mount is ok.

Is after 48 pages data the generally best confirmed c.o.g. exactly on the second “spar” ???
ZamBeZi is offline Find More Posts by ZamBeZi
Old Apr 07, 2010, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
I have got my CG on the "rear spar" i.e. at 225mm. At that point, I have my elevons trimmed slightly down. For more stable flight, you might want to move the CG further forward.

Jürgen
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:09 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Like Jürgen, both elevons trimmed down a little. Left elevon about 3mm, right elevon about 1mm down. Otherwise the wing starts to roll slowly.

Flew my Xeno a few hours ago. It's definitely spring. A very nice 18 degrees centrigrade, only 2 Bft. and very sunny. Onboard movie recorded with a keyring spycam and wide angle lens.

ACH - Onboard a MPX Xeno (6 min 33 sec)
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Last edited by Sleurhutje; Apr 07, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Video added
Old Apr 09, 2010, 02:19 AM
Joined Jun 2004
5 Posts
Xeno Pilot Report from New Mexico

Flew my new Xeno last Sunday...excellent! It's increadibly clean and has almost unlimited vertical with the Tuning power package. The only issue was insufficient vertical surface area, as the aircraft wobbled in manouvres. To experiment, we taped 3cm balsa extensions on to the vertical fins. Results were good. I have since mounted a large 2mm Coroplast vertical fin atop the foam motor unit...will test this tomorrow. It's a bit ugly, but I may change it out for an extra Xeno fin.

One other problem: the aircraft is not stall-proof as claimed. With the CG at the recommended 22cm aft of the leading edge, the aircraft will drop a wing and spin in an aggravated power-off stall. It will go either way but seems to prefer left.
altosoarus is offline Find More Posts by altosoarus
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:31 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,472 Posts
Did my test flights yesterday and was surprised. My CF shaft held up fine (so far) and the modle flies well. Easy launches, just toss it like you see in all of the vid's, then add power. It climbs straight up with the Tuning set. I think I was a bit forward of the rec. CG yet it flew perfect. Very little oscillating as compared to what I've read and seen.

It does need some covers over those linkages especially if you fly from anything other than grass. Bingbingbing pop pop
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
What's Up with Hitec/Multiplex

All:

This is not a rant or criticism. It is just a question.

I ordered a Xeno Tuning set mid-February, and Tower showed the Backorder due in Late March, which then turned to Early April, which has now turned into On Order (i.e. Tower has not been given a Ship Date from the Vendor).

This, combined with shortages of many popular Multiplex planes and parts, as well as a shortage of Optima 7 Rxs, gets a Multiplex/Hitec fan a tad concerned. Hope all is well with them.

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:22 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
Dammed with faint praise

I hope RCM&E don't take umbridge to me reproducing a page of their excellent magazine
I was in England over the weekend and bought subject magazine to read the rest of the article.

With the model completed the C of G is a country mile forward from the recommended position, requiring not an insignificant lump of church roof to ballance out. And, of course, this is compounded further still on the slope with the motor and its pod removed.

There is something a miss here. So far all Xenos I have read about are rather tail heavy than nose heavy. Mine comes out with the CG at 225mm which is closer to the rear margin (220mm +/- 10mm) and with the pod removed, I am at 215mm which is still well within the CG range and I could bring the CG further back by moving the battery. There is definitely no ballast required.

Perhaps the reviewer of the Xeno had the CG way too far forward? That would at least explain the sag after launch, the lousy climb rate and the nose dropping in turns.

Some pictures also show a strange kind of gap between the canopy and the wing.

Jürgen
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:38 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Dissapointing, that's all I can say, especially considering the price of the Tuning power set!

Flew my Xeno for the first time last week, using the Tuning power set and a couple of Rhino 1300mAh 40C 3S packs. Unlimited vertical, yeah right, not by my standards. Also the fins are not large enough to provide enough stabilization for proper tracking, so it wobbles when turning. So I went ahead and modified my Xeno to suit my needs.

- bigger motor, approx 500W of power (Graupner 345Z 35 size outrunner).
- moved fins to the tips and angled slightly inwards.
- made room for a more common 3S/2200 LiPo
- cut out a larger propellor slot to reduce propellor noise.

Flew her again yesterday and the difference is night and day, she now tracks properly, doesn't wobble anymore in turns and unlimited vertical is indeed unlimited vertical now. All this added about 160 grams in weight (motor and larger LiPo) and she still balances out nicely on the CG without additional weight.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:20 AM
Abe
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2007
75 Posts
Nice Job... Where did you purchase the motor mount from? What size props?
pyy1axs is offline Find More Posts by pyy1axs
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:26 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyy1axs View Post
Nice Job... Where did you purchase the motor mount from? What size props?
The mount is something I milled out myself, so the Xeno still folds like it was designed to, it is glued to one side of the wing. The prop (and spinner) is the same 9x6 as included with the Tuning power set.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:47 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
Dissapointing, that's all I can say, especially considering the price of the Tuning power set!
Well, with approx. 250W/kg you can't expect the climb rate of a FunJet with 800+W/kg. The price of the power drive is also less dictated by the wattage, but by all the components. Your less aerodynamic motor mount and the increased weight will most likely reduce gliding performance noticeably. Your setup with camera however indicates, that you want to use the Xeno more like a power model anyway.

Jürgen