HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:42 PM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
Finally RTF

Carbonwork is my own design (inspired by what others did). Looks like to need 25g weight in the nose for correct c.o.g. (2nd "spar"), which is ok to me.
Will add some "invasion" stripes on the bottom. Will try blades with more pitch later (currently: 9x5).
ZamBeZi is offline Find More Posts by ZamBeZi
Last edited by ZamBeZi; Apr 05, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:21 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
I am not blaming the messenger. I just find the findings of the tester very strange. Considering his experience, he should know better.

Jürgen
Isn't FMT a German Magazine? I would consider it surprising if a German Magazine criticized a German product..

UK mags rubbish everything made in the Uk... it's been the "fashion" for many years
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:46 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
I suspect the reviewer (Andy Ellison) assumed that what ever they were given was the stock setup, incorrect but I'm guessing usually the case.

I really can't bring my self to buy any of the UK magazines anymore, to many old men write them and want to talk about there old man stuff :P

Ok maybe it's just me....but I don't care about a new OS Engine or about Control line & I don't want a "free" plan that is "worth £15" of a terrible ugly plane that will obviously fly badly.

The last magazine I bought regularly was Quiet & Electric Flight International in theory it should be aimed right at me as I like gliders and electric. Somehow they seemed to get stuck reviewing small RTF electrics and and talking about events that happened 6months previous. The best column in there was "Down under" he seemed to have something interesting to say every issue.

This months issue review an RTF ducted fan jet (which actually looks like a perfectly good model), a toy helicopter, the second part of a review from the previous month! & Realflight G5. The "Features" are Part1 of some plan build, Part2 of what went on at Nürnberg 2010 & some more waffle about a different plan....dull...dull...dull.

anyway....</rant>

*Edit*

Sorry I should never type posts when I'm up in the middle of the night unable to sleep.
Pook is offline Find More Posts by Pook
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:48 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
ZamBeZi,

Is the folding prop hub your work too? If not point me to where you got that from please
Pook is offline Find More Posts by Pook
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:09 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
Isn't FMT a German Magazine? I would consider it surprising if a German Magazine criticized a German product..
If there are shortfalls, they are usually mentioned - no matter where the product comes from. The problem with the carbon shaft usually does not show up immediately - especially with the softer drive option.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; Apr 07, 2010 at 02:25 AM. Reason: tyo corrected
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:12 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook View Post
I suspect the reviewer (Andy Ellison) assumed that what ever they were given was the stock setup, incorrect but I'm guessing usually the case.
Well, this would be the lamest excuse ever, as the power options are clearly mentioned in the manual, as is the negative exponential mix regarding control settings.

Jürgen
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:38 AM
Austria - Styria - Graz
Joined Feb 2010
39 Posts
Quote:

P.S.: The climb rate with the low power option is approx. 2m/s:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showp...&postcount=631
Notice:

The 1st log i made is with the Tuning Set and the 2nd log from Standart Set,
windy conditions 2 - 4 bft

PS.:

My "Composite Shaft" works fine since 15 flights

Norbert
Sport Wing is offline Find More Posts by Sport Wing
Last edited by Sport Wing; Apr 06, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:28 AM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
Pook, I made the Hub myself, customised for the Aeronaut folding blades; works brilliantly and very well balanced.
Because the Hyperion outrunner has no possibility to bolt directly the hub on the motor (like the Axi-motor with the hub made by KD), I unfortunately had to use a propadapter, which means a few extra grams on the worst possible place in the airframe. Because of that I needed a little bit more ballast in the nose.

I had to make front- and backplates in various lengths (in steps of 0.50 mm) to find the sweet spot to prevent the blades cutting the foam:

Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:34 AM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
By the way:

The CNC-work was done by Rob Bulk from www.rbckits.com

If there is enough interest we will be able to make a kit of the Xeno-motormount with prophub for Aeronaut blades
All you need is 30 min epoxy, 2 bolts/nuts for the propellorblades (for example: the bladeholders of a 450-size heli has the right size), and a about 30 cm mm (hollow) carbon rod
Quality will be excellent, although you’ll probably need a small round file to make some holes a little bigger (the carbon rod is not perpendicular to the mount for example)
Bolting-pattern will be suited for most outrunners in this size

Please send a PB when interested
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:05 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Well, this would be the lamest excuse ever, as the power options are clearly mentioned in the manual, as is the negative exponential mix regarding control settings.

Jürgen
Basic version in the review has a Himax C2212-1180motor with a BL-20s ESC
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Basic version in the review has a Himax C2212-1180motor with a BL-20s ESC
I am aware of that, but it still is no "stock motor".

As mentioned in the instruction manual, you can either use the Xeno power set or the Xeno TUNING power set. Most people go straight for the Tuning set, as it costs little more, comes with a 30A instead of a 20A ESC and you can always use throttle control.

Jürgen
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:28 PM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Hi all here's my tuppence worth of experience of this model:
1/ having suffered serious vibrations using the carbon/glass rod (tuning setup) I put the problem down to oscillations at certain revs which was going at some stage lead to a failure of some sort I changed the rod for a length of 4mm ali stock bought at my local diy store for a couple of Euros and fitting was achieved by a combination of some sanding after which freezing the rod for 24 hours so that it would just slip through the bearing. to date all seems well and a much smoother feel all round
2/ the launch 'problem!?' I have tried several ways to get it going but by far the best solution for me is to hold the wing side arm style then run the motor up until you can feel it trying to get away from you then give it a gentle lob into the air and away she will gently go quite stable and in control.
3/ watch the c of g, I spent some time getting it right for my way of flying and now I am happy with the performance.
4/ I find the tuning setup is 'adequate' to say the least.
cheers
Multiplex
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:28 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
What is the stock motor.... is this motor tamer than the Stock motor?

Andy Ellison said in the review that is the only combination available at the time "as the Tuning power set and carry bag were still lagging behind" and that he only had the "opportunity to have the basic version"

I really can't see the point in trying to "rubbish" the guys point of view, he has IMO a perfect right to speak as he finds... You don't have to be an expert on the Multiplex company and it's product to review them.

Why is it not acceptable to comment on a product without fitting the hottest motor combination?
Last edited by dekan; Apr 06, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:32 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
What is the stock motor.... is this motor tamer than the Stock motor?
I really can't see the point in trying to "rubbish" the guys point of view, he has IMO a perfect right to speak as he finds... You don't have to be an expert on the Multiplex company and it's product to review them.

Why is it not acceptable to comment on a product without fitting the hottest motor combination?
There is no stock motor. Stock motor implies, that the motor comes with the kit like on the EasyStar, TwinStar etc. The Xeno comes without motor. You have to buy the drive set separately and you can chose between two options.

You don't need to be an expert. It is all in the instructional manual.

Even with the low power option, the Xeno climbs at approx. 2m/s. Why should the model sag with power on? You can't blame the drive if you don't launch it fast enough.

You can hand launch the Xeno and gain height even without motor on - as seen on video:

http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Jur...03-04-2010.wmv

The model also does not need differential mix to keep the nose up in turns, but rather needs "negative differential" as mentioned in the instructions.

The instruction manual shows different weights to those published. While they are also too low, they are at least a bit closer to the actual weights.

It is perfectly fine to test a model with the low power option, but you would expect "a model tester" to at least read the manual, right?

Jürgen
Old Apr 07, 2010, 01:42 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
There is no stock motor. Stock motor implies, that the motor comes with the kit like on the EasyStar, TwinStar etc. The Xeno comes without motor. You have to buy the drive set separately and you can chose between two options.

You don't need to be an expert. It is all in the instructional manual.

Even with the low power option, the Xeno climbs at approx. 2m/s. Why should the model sag with power on? You can't blame the drive if you don't launch it fast enough.

You can hand launch the Xeno and gain height even without motor on - as seen on video:

http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Jur...03-04-2010.wmv

The model also does not need differential mix to keep the nose up in turns, but rather needs "negative differential" as mentioned in the instructions.

The instruction manual shows different weights to those published. While they are also too low, they are at least a bit closer to the actual weights.

It is perfectly fine to test a model with the low power option, but you would expect "a model tester" to at least read the manual, right?

Jürgen
I don' know having never read the manual, quite franky as I said before the Xeno is not my sort of plane...

In posting my original comments I just wanted to make people aware of the review, as a different side of the story...

Anyway I am done defending the rights of the reviewer...You guys will have to read the review and make your own minds up...May be Multiplex should complain to RCM&E...