HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:35 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyy1axs View Post
Based on this thread, clearly there isn't an inarguable best solution that results in precision and performance... unless one performs unique re-engineering ...
???

I don't understand your comments. While the carbon shaft appears OK for the standard drive, i.e. no reported shaft failures, the tuning drive needs a different solution, i.e. a steel tube instead of the carbon shaft.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is online now Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:19 AM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
Agree with Jurgen

Alternative is you buy the KD-motormount (as posted previous in this tread) + carbon hub for folding prop, an AXI outrunner and a relative fat lipo for the correct c.o.g.
Total prices will be comparable

I designed my own mount, inspired by KD, but improved and adapted to a Hyperion outrunner with collet-adapter. Not an option for everyone; you need to know how CAD works, buy carbonfiber and find someone who can CNC something nice of that. And of course don't expect you'll succeed the first try...
ZamBeZi is offline Find More Posts by ZamBeZi
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:24 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
For 60 euros is a complete KD-style tuning set available.

Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:34 PM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleurhutje View Post
For 60 euros is a complete KD-style tuning set available.
Nice offer; I can't compete with those prices (was thinking of making a small series of my own design). I only wonder the downtrust is enough, looking at the pictures...
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:18 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamBeZi View Post
Nice offer; I can't compete with those prices (was thinking of making a small series of my own design). I only wonder the downtrust is enough, looking at the pictures...
Hmmmm, depends on how you glue the carbon rods.

The mentioned Torcster motor is in fact a DYS motor, made in Hong Kong. See their website. Specs of the 2826-1400kV motor can be found here.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:40 PM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleurhutje View Post
Hmmmm, depends on how you glue the carbon rods.
Yeah, but looking at the "nose" that fits the slot I have my doubts...
Time will tell; when the downtrust in my design is fine, it looks like that one is a bit to much "up"
Old Mar 27, 2010, 03:09 PM
Abe
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2007
75 Posts
The steel shaft

Is it safe to assume that the steel shaft for the "tuned" version will be out sometime in May for the US? Are there less vibration issues with the steel vs. carbon tube? Notwithstanding the fact proper installation would negate vibrations...
pyy1axs is offline Find More Posts by pyy1axs
Old Mar 28, 2010, 03:17 AM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
722 Posts
Today I completed maiden flight of my Xeno successfully.
Very stable, docile and easy to control flying wing.

power unit: tuning
battery: Outrage XP20 3S1000mAh
receiver: JR R790UL
servo: HS-82MG
AUW: 814g

I painted the wing and the canopy with water-based ulethane paint.
As the battery is 20C and the tuning unit draws over 20amps at 100% throttle, I set 80% for maximum throttle to keep the current draw under around 18amps.

To check the CG precisely, I drilled a small hole at 220mm from nose, attached a fishing line and hung the airplane upside down.

50% expo for aileron and 40% for elevator are recommended for normal cruising flight or thermal soaring.

I grabbed the left wing leading edge with my left hand and threw the airplane like a frisbee.

Great flying wing!

cvlex
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Last edited by cvlex; Mar 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlex View Post
Today I completed maiden flight of my Xeno successfully.
Very stable, docile and easy to control flying wing.

power unit: tuning
battery: Outrage XP20 3S1000mAh
receiver: JR R790UL
servo: HS-82MG
AUW: 814g

I painted the wing and the canopy with water-based ulethane paint.
As the battery is 20C and the tuning unit draws over 20amps at 100% throttle, I set 80% for maximum throttle to keep the current draw under around 18amps.

To check the CG precisely, I drilled a small hole at 220mm from nose, attached a fishing line and hung the airplane.

50% expo for aileron and 40% for elevator are recommended for normal cruising flight or thermal soaring.

I grabbed the left wing leading edge with my left hand and threw the airplane like a frisbee.

Great flying wing!

cvlex
Well done cvlex ...... I've only tried the side launch a couple of times ..... I wasn't to happy with it but must try it again and see if I can do it safely ....... getting someone to do the throw for me is often a pain unless the right guy(s) are around .....

Did I notice you left the prop band off? ..... if so, wise man ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Well done cvlex ...... I've only tried the side launch a couple of times ..... I wasn't to happy with it but must try it again and see if I can do it safely ....... getting someone to do the throw for me is often a pain unless the right guy(s) are around .....

Did I notice you left the prop band off? ..... if so, wise man ....
As I fly with mode 1 tx, I can easily control throttle with my right hand. If you fly with mode 2 tx, grab the leading edge of the right wing with your right hand and throw.

I always use the frisbee launch method to fly pusher flying wings, Carbon Falcon, Frenzee or Mini Speed Wing and so on.

Frenzee flying (1 min 35 sec)

Although Xeno is larger and heavier than these, no hard throw is required, only keep the wing level and let your airplane go straight to the wind.

BTW, I do not attach the black rubber band comes with the tuning kit to my Xeno.

cvlex
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Last edited by cvlex; Mar 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:41 PM
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
Joined Mar 2010
1 Posts
Hi guys..
Thanks you guy for all the info about the Xeno.
I have successfully assemble and maiden the Xeno yesterday.(see video above)
I have some flying experience in zagi and have also built one(foam and EPP)..similar saiz to this Xeno...with massive power plant..i.e 3600kv motor,45amp Castle Creation ESC..speed flying till the wing break into two!

But with this Xeno..I love the soaring part.Climb up high and dive with power off.This Xeno glides like a charm!..and supper smooth cutting through air...love it!
I have attached the 30A stock setup(expensive thou) with stock carbon rod..(i've read in this forum that the CF rod cant stand a more powerful motor )
With Hitec65 servos and 1300mah Turnigy Lipo 25c 3sell..I have no problem at all..fly flawlessly!

But on the 6th flight...I got greedy on the soaring part....climb up as high as my eye can see and dive hard with power off and prop folded.As it dive and speeding down...i gradually pull the elevator up,..my xeno starts to make a big loop...and at one point(probable at the highest speed point)...the wing flap once and then snap in two!)..the 2 pieces of wing separated on air and fall down like a butterfly...not much damage thou..accept for the left broken wing.
Then the CSI work started...we found out the elapor broke very close to the plastic fuselage.So by my common sense..a soft material(elapor) when bent upwards,the weak point is where the elapor meets the hard plastic fuselage edges.This is where it exactly broke.
We check the installation manual...it says to apply epoxy at specific spot on the fuselage..when it broke..the whole piece dislodge from the elapor,no remaining bits of elapor accept the one with epoxy.
We have done the repair job of epoxing the wing.This time we layered the whole surface with epoxy.Even the unbroken wing..we slit open and add more epoxy.After the epoxy cure..we apply fiberglass tape on the outside.

The plane looks good like new...but i'm not confident that it will stand hi G's.
I'm thinking of inserting a carbon rod inside each wings to strengthen the wings...what do you guys recommend?

All ideas are highly appreciated...i'm new in plane flying.
..and proud owner of Xeno

Thanks and cheers!
xenoMID2.mp4 (7 min 41 sec)
blingker is offline Find More Posts by blingker
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:16 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingker View Post
...we found out the elapor broke very close to the plastic fuselage.So by my common sense..a soft material(elapor) when bent upwards,the weak point is where the elapor meets the hard plastic fuselage edges.This is where it exactly broke.
We check the installation manual...it says to apply epoxy at specific spot on the fuselage..when it broke..the whole piece dislodge from the elapor,no remaining bits of elapor accept the one with epoxy.
We have done the repair job of epoxing the wing.This time we layered the whole surface with epoxy.Even the unbroken wing..we slit open and add more epoxy.After the epoxy cure..we apply fiberglass tape on the outside.
The manual is asking for epoxy? I don't think so:

Important note

This model is not made of styrofoam™, and it is not possible to glue the material using white glue, polyurethane or epoxy; these adhesives only produce a superficial bond which simply gives way when stressed. Please use medium-viscosity cyano-acrylate glue exclusively, preferably our Zacki-ELAPOR®, # 59 2727 - the cyano glue optimised specifically for ELAPOR® particle foam. At some points you will also need the extremely low-viscosity version of the adhesive: Zacki ELAPOR super liquid, # 59 2728.

You may want to double check your manual.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is online now Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:28 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlex View Post
As I fly with mode 1 tx, I can easily control throttle with my right hand. If you fly with mode 2 tx, grab the leading edge of the right wing with your right hand and throw.

I always use the frisbee launch method to fly pusher flying wings, Carbon Falcon, Frenzee or Mini Speed Wing and so on.

Although Xeno is larger and heavier than these, no hard throw is required, only keep the wing level and let your airplane go straight to the wind.

BTW, I do not attach the black rubber band comes with the tuning kit to my Xeno.

cvlex
Thanks for the further info ..... together with my Xeno I also fly an 'Assassin' wing ....... I have hundreds of flights on it and only ever side launch with never a problem ..... I will try again with the Xeno .....

cheers ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:20 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Wing launching

On all my wings, I add a rudder-aileron mix so I can have control of roll and throttle on launch with my left hand. It really comes in handy, especially on maiden flights when trim hasn't been set. It's kept me out of the dirt a few times so far.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:47 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
On all my wings, I add a rudder-aileron mix so I can have control of roll and throttle on launch with my left hand. It really comes in handy, especially on maiden flights when trim hasn't been set. It's kept me out of the dirt a few times so far.
MR2
In addition I programmed a switch that gives a little up elevator to compensate the nose dive in the first few meters.