SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:40 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
Putting in a larger battery, an OSD and other equipment will make it prone to mid-air failure (folding) as well as having a rather abyssmal glide angle. Not recommended!
Some of the components could be burried in the wing, so I would not be too worried about folding. I just think a flying wing like Xeno is not the most stable platform for FPV (same reason why the XB-49 was not a good platform for a bomber ).

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:47 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
so I would not be too worried about folding.
I am, as wing loading and air speed go up, hence higher g-forces are generated in dives and turns.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:48 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
See the FPV pods developed by various people for Slinger.
Modding Xeno for such pod would imply massive changes though, at least the two internal spars.
Still possible to disassemble it, but not foldable.
Also, especially for FPV, I would still consider the Mars Ares Eagle mod.
The presence of a tail would make it more stable and less CG sensitive.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:56 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Mars Ares Eagle mod ?
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:07 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Flying speed is mainly determined by wing loading and wing section. If your EasyStar is too slow, just add some weight.

The Xeno does not have ailerons, but elevons. Aileron controlled models usually need coordinated inputs of aileron and elevator to turn. A rudder controlled model like the EasyStar might be easier to set up.

Jürgen
I seem to remember one of the top FPV guys over on the Easystar thread fitted Easy Glider wings to his EZ* (an easy mod) ..... runs the kit on two 4,000 mAh lipos and is famous for a video he made flying out to an off-shore light house (10km out in the ocean) .......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:08 AM
Multirotors blow
Peterborough, England
Joined Dec 2006
920 Posts
Hi Renatoa, thanks for the info - can you post some links so I can see what you are referring to?

IMHO you could burry the autopilot and additional batteries in the wing root with a little careful though to some additional reinforcement with carbon fibre rods/strips but I would like to keep the ability to fold the wings (a great feature of the Xeno IMO) and just bolt on a small underbelly pod containing all the extra gear. Anyone with decent CAD skills out there that could do a mock-up and give me some ideas?

George
georgebinns is offline Find More Posts by georgebinns
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:23 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
I am, as wing loading and air speed go up, hence higher g-forces are generated in dives and turns.
I have flown my Xeno pretty hard already - no problems. I would not expect an FPV model to be flown that way. Moving components into the wing reduces wing bending forces even more.

Jürgen
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:10 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun View Post
Mars Ares Eagle mod ?
Page 4, post #54 of this thread.
Just an ideea, nobody did it... yet
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:15 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebinns View Post
Hi Renatoa, thanks for the info - can you post some links so I can see what you are referring to?

IMHO you could burry the autopilot and additional batteries in the wing root with a little careful though to some additional reinforcement with carbon fibre rods/strips but I would like to keep the ability to fold the wings (a great feature of the Xeno IMO) and just bolt on a small underbelly pod containing all the extra gear. Anyone with decent CAD skills out there that could do a mock-up and give me some ideas?

George
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post13620449
If the guy that is building this pod has good plastic processing skills, it can even replicate the Xeno belly hinge, and keep the folding feature.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:17 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Oh yeah... but they changed it - http://www.space.com/businesstechnol...ng_020920.html
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:18 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
you can make a decent fpv setup within 30gr, just go with that, i garantee you that wont fold anything.. you don't need to have 50 ezXX components 3 HD cameras and 3 spare 5000mah lipos onboard!

light camera, uncased ~10gr or less (cx161 is like 6gr uncased, the 555 isnt a lot more if you'd rather have 550 lines)
light tx ~6gr (airwave uncased, like the 2.4Ghz 500mW)
small OSD (whatever suits you, approx 15gr with GPS and zero additional crap)
small LC filter or driver (1 to 5gr DYI)
wiring (solder most stuff to avoid heavy plugs, use light wires) 1-2gr
DYI antenna: <1gr
shared 2200mah battery with the engine
total ~30 to 40gr ..

i use something like that on other planes, except its a 5.8Ghz 25mW airwave. you've some hand work to do as usual yes.. but so many times lighter!

of course if you go the "regular way" with extra lipo, cased 130gr cam, zillion osd-f16-ultra-whatever components it will weight 3-400gr which is too much.

But as long as you dont care about "real air speed and alt", "horizon", "current sensor", "auto pilot", "giro", "pan&tilt" and things like that, you'd getting nearly the same result, except 10 times lighter.
i suppose you could add some of the above options and/or make them lighter so that your total added weight doesnt go too high.
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
I will make my own engine holder so I drew the back of the plane in ACAD 09. There is so much new in 09 to 06 so it isn`t really well, but here is the picture with datas in mm Milimeter

I hope i could help
Greetings dplane
dplane is offline Find More Posts by dplane
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:05 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerofreak View Post
Hello

Here is a couple of pictures of my new Xeno (Glider version), but not yet flown
that is great looking! the paint! please do post flight times in dead air when you give her a go! do you think you may do any sal's with it? side are launches?
BillHones is offline Find More Posts by BillHones
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:13 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHones View Post
... side are launches?
You probably meant "Side-Arm-Launch". Typical SAL models are much more efficient for this type of flying.

Jürgen
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:19 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Well my Kit was built yesterday ...... I'll hopefully get some air time today .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14