HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:38 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
I am sure, he meant, whether you can still fold the model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Exactly, the wing, not prop blades
Ah, oops... Yes, it's still foldable. Although my first thought was it wouldn't be necessary, during the building it looked like a very nice feature. So the motor mount is only attached to one side. It's secured by 3 M4 screws and expoxy. Unable to see (and forgotten to take a picture) there are nylon spacers on the inside to prevent crushing the Elapor.

The paintjob is finished. Stickers will be applied tonight. Tomorrow the final mount of all electrical and mechanical parts. Hopefully some nice weather for the maiden flight this weekend.
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:24 AM
Joined Dec 2006
45 Posts
For alex.guzun
Quote:
i wish to know what colour (type of colour) to use? acrylic?
I would say that as it is elapor use MPX's special (expensive) remover product first. This apparently removes mould inhibitor used during manufacture. You can use other cheaper stuff- see the Twinstar thread as many paint that up. Treating the elapor first with something suitable is essential.

I tried car touch up paint spray on my (elapor) Acromaster. Whatever I did it bled past the masking tape edge [a little]. I then used Acrylic which was much better and I will use that on my Xeno. I dilute it just a little so it flows better. I find it takes 3 or more coats to get a reasonable - not perfect- finish. Obviously you do not want too much as it all adds to weight.

I use fluorescent colours as they show up well, but accept they will dull after a while. I then spray varnish - suitable for covering acrylic- over to protect the paint and hopefully slow the colour degradation.

I find cheap masking tape works better than expensive low tack tape which allows paints to creep under, but I keep it on no longer than overnight, or it can "set". Remember to leave folded over tabs in places at the ends, ready for peeling the tape off easily.

Test it all- tape, paint, varnish- first on some spare elapor! Hopefully you have some spare packing. Also be warned; I find I spend almost as long decorating as building a MPX model!

I have not really thought about it yet but will probably use Humbrol black on the plastic cockpit

I have an unanswered question on this thread, on the need, or not, for colours to help with orientation. A friend with a Funjet says for that he finds it absolutely essential, but it is faster than the Xeno is likely to be hence my question posted here. If people do respond that my interest you too.

Good luck
tony lechauve is offline Find More Posts by tony lechauve
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:57 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Multiplex Germany has been acquired by Hitec in late 2002.

Jürgen
and? it's just an acquisition
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jan 06, 2010, 06:41 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony lechauve View Post
I have not really thought about it yet but will probably use Humbrol black on the plastic cockpit

I have an unanswered question on this thread, on the need, or not, for colours to help with orientation. A friend with a Funjet says for that he finds it absolutely essential, but it is faster than the Xeno is likely to be hence my question posted here. ...
The plastic parts are fairly soft and certain paints may not stick to them very well. I have used a light coat of automotive plastic primer before finishing the job with Tamiya Acrylic Mini Spray "Gun Metal" for plastic models.

Suitable colors will always help orientation, but they are not essential.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 06, 2010, 06:43 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
i'll put some led lights + strobes
Old Jan 06, 2010, 10:43 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun View Post
i'll put some led lights + strobes
Alex ..... any chance you could post a link to the Strobes you plan to use? ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 06, 2010, 10:49 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
This one from Thanh

Thanh's LED kit for RC Plane - phase 1 (0 min 11 sec)

Thanh's LED kit for RC Plane - phase 2 (0 min 11 sec)

E-Flite Apprentice and Thanh's LED kit - phase 3 (0 min 31 sec)
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:53 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
After a few days my Xeno is ready for it's maiden flight. Some pics of the building proces...

All parts before the start:

Glueing the hinges:

Some cutting need to be done due to the molding process:

Tight fit, nice construction:

The wing spars:

Removable tail fins:

Reinforcements for the tail fins:

Slide and click the tail fins in place:

The HS-82MG's are a perfect fit:

The steel pin to complete the hinge:

So far, so good:

A few days later after painting the wing....

Top side, nothing special:

The bottom side is somewhat more... reflective:

The DIY motor mount, wires put in a mesh guard sleeve:

The electronics:

Despite the heavy LiPo some extra lead was necessary:

Still capable folding the wing for easy transportation:

The motor mount is fixed by three Nylon M4 bolts:

Ouch, 970 gram is pretty heavy. Never planned to use it for soaring so it will fly:

My setup:
- Turnigy 3530 1100kV Outrunner
- APC 9x6" Thin Electric Propellor
- Turnigy Plush 30A ESC
- Graupner 3S 2000mAh LiPo
- Hitec HS-82MG servo's (2x)
- Spektrum AR500 Receiver
Static full throttle takes 16,8A at 10,3V over more then 3 minutes. Just enough to stick on the bottom of my hand.

Now I'll have to wait for better weatherconditions. Over here in the Netherlands it's freezing: -9°C and winds up to 6 Bft. The ground is covered with frozen snow and snowstorms are expected.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:13 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,945 Posts
Wunderbar !
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:58 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Wunderbar !
Wunderbar? 910g is way over the original target weight and will put extra stress on the wing fold mechanism. Gliding performance also will be down, especially without a folding prop.

Jürgen
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:07 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,945 Posts
Well, we are entitled to an opinion everyone, right ?
On the other side, is the first evidence that a custom motor mount on this wing will require * a lot * of lead in the front for balance, until now this wasn't very well highlighted.
And this helps me to make a better idea if there are chances to find a placement for all my FPV stuff to avoid all that lead... for example the camera, has 110 grams, probably placed instead of canopy, or on top, can play the role of lead much useful
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jan 09, 2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:00 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Wunderbar? 910g is way over the original target weight and will put extra stress on the wing fold mechanism. Gliding performance also will be down, especially without a folding prop.

Jürgen
He might mean the guy has his Xeno in his very own hands ......

rem, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive ...... the World was created faster than my Xeno turning up ....

ps. minus 11c this morning with freezing Fog ..... no flying today ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:13 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
I'm aware of the overweight. But on the other hand, it will certainly result in a nice video snapping the wing in mid-air. And I don't like soaring so gliding is no option. From start until landing full throttle it will be.

Quote:
On the other side, is the first evidence that a custom motor mount on this wing will require * a lot * of lead in the front for balance, until now this wasn't very well highlighted.
And this helps me to make a better idea if there are chances to find a placement for all my FPV stuff to avoid all that lead... for example the camera, has 110 grams, probably placed instead of canopy, or on top, can play the role of lead much useful
There are certainly some points that will improve weight loss. but there are also some remarks. The motor can be placed almost 12mm more to the front. However, is the propellor bends (and thin electrics tend to do that ) it will eat up the foam. And the motor used is pretty heavy. So is the LiPo but it's what I had and just give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
He might mean the guy has his Xeno in his very own hands ......

rem, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive ...... the World was created faster than my Xeno turning up ....

ps. minus 11c this morning with freezing Fog ..... no flying today ....
I think the biggest problem will be the stress on the wings itself. Experiences with the overpowered Easy Stars, MiniMags and FunJets learned the stress is too big for the stock construction to keep up and wings or wing spars snapped. The two shorts strips will be too short. If so, the next one wil be a fixed version with a 100cm 8mm carbon rod through the wings. Ordering a new one in Germany and two days later it's on the bench in the Netherlands.

Weather conditions are very poor over here. Just a little snow and a brisk 6 Bft with bursts up to 8 Bft.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
I was not talking about an opinion, but about actual weights. It is also a fact, that more weight will increase the sink rate and a non folding prop has a lot more drag.

Jürgen
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:04 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleurhutje View Post
I'm aware of the overweight. But on the other hand, it will certainly result in a nice video snapping the wing in mid-air. And I don't like soaring so gliding is no option. From start until landing full throttle it will be.
If you don't like soaring, why did you get a glider then?

Jürgen