HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:18 PM
Greece, Attica, Piraeus
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
OK my Xeno #2 is ready to fly.
I used all parts that i could from the first so i have some spares now.
Total AUW is 840g with 1550 mah lipo.
I will tell you now why the first Xeno crashed...
I forgot to put loctite somewhere, imagine where....
My excuse is my 6 months old daughter and her hysteric mother (which i love)
Chris
hendrix is offline Find More Posts by hendrix
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:05 PM
Failure is an option !
Marseille - France
Joined Nov 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Maybe I should do more javelin throw to train. Cause I gently crashed twice the Xeno while not applying power. Another time I hit my head but this is the dumb mistake. Wont happen again I promise. The Xeno is indeed heavy and the power up is pretty slow maybe due to the elastics on prop. Anyway, now I always launch it at mid power and runs a few meters at the same time. I still do not feel 100% comfortable during each launch and recount my fingers at the end of the flight.
austin13 is offline Find More Posts by austin13
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:11 PM
Greece, Attica, Piraeus
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
I am thinking installing a ducted fan on top of the Xeno where the first (middle)
motor pod mount is located.
I think that it might work despite the low efficiency of a fan.
This 10 inch prop i use sure looks like it wants blood
Chris
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:18 PM
Failure is an option !
Marseille - France
Joined Nov 2007
73 Posts
Jurgen please, Another dumb question. My CG comes right on spot, now the Xeno has a real tendency to climb up even at mid power. I trim quite a lot down and still climbs. How did you set up your ailerons : exactly neutral or did you have to trim down like me ?

Is it a natural tendency of the Xeno or did I do something wrong ?
Another test :
If I dive hard (typical glider test) with no motor applied and let it go, the Xeno will ressource up by itself quite strongly.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:24 PM
Failure is an option !
Marseille - France
Joined Nov 2007
73 Posts
Question number 3 to Jurgen (send me the bill no problem I am a lottery winner).

When recovering from stall or after a tight turn and I brutally change of direction, the Xeno will kind of flutter left and right .
I am a little confused even if this does not really impact the great flight behavior of the Xeno.

By the way I just LOVE the sound of the prop (Tuning set up) when applying full throttle. It becomes a real screammmmmmeeerrrrr
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:03 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin13 View Post
Anyway, now I always launch it at mid power and runs a few meters at the same time. I still do not feel 100% comfortable during each launch and recount my fingers at the end of the flight.
LOL, but you'll probably notice before landing. If steering or throttle fails, even if you feel like moving your fingers, you might have a little problem.

Quote:
Jurgen please, Another dumb question. My CG comes right on spot, now the Xeno has a real tendency to climb up even at mid power. I trim quite a lot down and still climbs. How did you set up your ailerons : exactly neutral or did you have to trim down like me ?
Like all Multiplex planes, CG is 5 to 10mm more to the front of the original CG. Had the same problems with my Easy Star, MiniMag, FunJet and Blizzard.

My Xeno is on it's way. I've got some stuff laying around to try to put in. The price of the Tuning Set is much too high. I was very disappointed about the ESC in the Blizzard Tuning Set (sold with the Blizzard). So I'll fix the motor like on a Zagi, right at the back-end. I'll try a Turnigy 3530-1100kV and a Graupner 3S 2000mAh to compensate the weight up front. With a 9x6" folding prop and a Genius 40A ESC should fly.
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:14 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
Has anyone flown one off the slope? If so, impressions?

S
Shedofdread is online now Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:41 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
My CG came out at 225mm without ballast and just left it there. My elevons are flush with the rest of the wings. As I have only had two flights so far in cold and windy conditions, I have not done much flight testing yet.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:54 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
When recovering from stall or after a tight turn and I brutally change of direction, the Xeno will kind of flutter left and right .
It has been reported that the Xeno sometimes oscillates around the vertical axis at slow speeds. I am sure one of the reasons are those tiny vertical fins.

Jürgen
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:17 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleurhutje View Post
Like all Multiplex planes, CG is 5 to 10mm more to the front of the original CG. Had the same problems with my Easy Star, MiniMag, FunJet and Blizzard.
Strange, I had no problems with the recommended CG on EasyStar, EasyGlider, MiniMag, FunJet etc.

Many beginners even prefer the CG further forward on models like the EasyStar or TwinStar.

Jürgen
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:58 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
I'm wondering if the Xeno would launch off a ramp? .......

Say 50mm (2") dia plastic pipes at 30 degrees ....... high(ish) power setting before release .......

I'm used to launching my Superfly Wing by simply holding one wing edge ..... point it up at approx 20 to 30 degrees ...... 1/2 power and then release ..... barely any force in the throw - more a "let it go" ..... simple and safe .... I have a feeling this might not work with the Xeno and hence the ramp idea .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:49 AM
Greece, Attica, Piraeus
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Before i crashed the Xeno #1 i managed to get 5 flights out of it and i did noticed
the pitch up problem (about 1,5mm down elevator) but it didn't bothered me
much.
Bare in mind that i use the normal motor kit and that the1550 mah lipo i use is
already ~60g heavier than the recommended 950mah lipo.
I trimmed it for casual flight and kept flying.
I didn't noticed any oscillations however which might be a result of my particular flying style although i did some inverted flying, stalled turns, barrel rolls and vertical dives with spin.
Although those maneuvers might sound violent it was anything but violent as i took my time and executed only one each time with moderate speed at half throttle.
The 10 inch prop does need some right aileron trim though (logical).
Chris
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:56 AM
Greece, Attica, Piraeus
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Xeno protector

It isn't pretty but it is working fine and it is removable by using Velcro.
The material is elapor from the deceased Xeno's wing.
It also acts as a lock and yes i know what it looks like
I know that it could be more triangular but i hadn't enough time right now so next time i will make one like a triangle that will have enough velcro area underneath.
Chris
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:03 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
It isn't pretty but it is working fine and it is removable by using Velcro....
Hi Chris,

the vertical fins on the Xeno are tiny and quite a few guys have reported oscillations when flying slow. Your "thing", creating additional side surface in front of the CG, may not be a good idea.

Jürgen
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:12 AM
Greece, Attica, Piraeus
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Well i flew with it and it works ok but your remarks are logical and aerodynamically sound since this contraption will generate a torque so i will make a better design.
The good thing is that i can just remove it since it uses velcro.
Chris