Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Freezing cold and minus 3 degrees C at the club field but what the heck ..... I needed to do some circuits so took my Wing ......

only problem ...... it wasn't the Xeno despite me ordering the full kit 6 months ago ...... my RC store still hasn't received its stock order .......

I received my personal copy of the MPX december News letter today ..... it said ....

"Merry Christmas and a happy new Year!

Dear Newsletter readers,

All Multiplex team hereby says thank you for the confidence in 2009.

We wish you Merry Christmas and a pleasent take off into 2010"

Where's my Xeno I said to myself .......

superfly snn 231209_0001.wmv (9 min 23 sec)
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:11 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Guys,
.................. I am sure Multiplex is reading this, and will make it better,
Joe Pierson
USA
You mean like they did with the Blizzard?
Their 'solution' to the flutter problem was to suggest wrapping the wings with glass tape (at the owners cost of course ) to prevent flutter. What a joke!
What MPX need to do is carry out comprehensive testing of their new products before letting the public spend their hard earned cash on them.
They got it perfect with the truly brilliant 'Funjet', so why not with subsequent kits? (Blizzard, Cularis, and now the Xeno to mention just a few) Also, why do they advertise their new kits so far in advance of full production status. All this does is frustrate the buying public and then when it does arrive there's a possibility that it'll be flawed (and expensive) anyway! Maybe MPX need to talk to Ming of ''Windrider.HK'' and learn how he interacts with, and responds to customer input, and how quickly he can get a new (quality) product onto the market at a reasonable cost.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:37 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,691 Posts
Hi Ben D Wing,
I must agree with what you say!! If it was our company, we would do it right, for sure
on that!!! Merry Christmas and Have a Great Safe New Year
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Dec 24, 2009, 05:14 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Their 'solution' to the flutter problem was to suggest wrapping the wings with glass tape (at the owners cost of course ) to prevent flutter. What a joke!
What MPX need to do is carry out comprehensive testing of their new products before letting the public spend their hard earned cash on them.
They got it perfect with the truly brilliant 'Funjet', so why not with subsequent kits? (Blizzard, Cularis, and now the Xeno to mention just a few) Also, why do they advertise their new kits so far in advance of full production status. All this does is frustrate the buying public and then when it does arrive there's a possibility that it'll be flawed (and expensive) anyway!...
Ok, I must admit, that I neither own a Blizzard, nor a Cularis, but I have plenty of other Multiplex models.

When I use the search function, I can find a few guys who experienced flutter, but the huge majority seems to be very happy with their Blizzard. In the German forums I found even less about flutter issues.

I therefore assume, that those guys having problems either have excessive slop in their aileron linkages or they just expect too much from a foamie.

From the instruction manual:

Like any other aircraft, this model has static limits! Steep dives and silly, imprudent manoeuvres may cause structural failure and the loss of the model.
Please note: damage caused by incompetent flying is obvious to us, and we are not prepared to replace components damaged in this way. It is always best to fly gently at first, and to work gradually towards the model’s limits. The aircraft is designed to cope with our ‘Tuning’ (upgrade) power system, but is only capable of withstanding the flight loads if it is built exactly as specified, and is in perfect structural order (i.e. not damaged). Further upgrade measures are possible, but should only be attempted if you have plenty of experience in this field, as additional structural reinforcements will be required.

What is supposedly a problem with the Cularis?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 24, 2009, 09:55 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
if you don't like it don't buy it

Who is forcing you to wait until these models are available if, like you say, there are better choices out there?

Vote with your wallet, so will i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
They got it perfect with the truly brilliant 'Funjet', so why not with subsequent kits? (Blizzard, Cularis, and now the Xeno to mention just a few) Also, why do they advertise their new kits so far in advance of full production status. All this does is frustrate the buying public and then when it does arrive there's a possibility that it'll be flawed (and expensive) anyway! Maybe MPX need to talk to Ming of ''Windrider.HK'' and learn how he interacts with, and responds to customer input, and how quickly he can get a new (quality) product onto the market at a reasonable cost.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:36 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
Who is forcing you to wait until these models are available if, like you say, there are better choices out there?

Vote with your wallet, so will i.
I suspect the guys who are really upset about failed delivery promises are those that are traditional MPX fans ...... I have a couple of reasonably hot Easystar's that I still fly ...... a Parkmaster ...... an EasyCub running on 3 cells and due an wing/aileron mod soon ...... I gave up waiting on the Blizzard (can't rem what I bought instead but it was probably a Sebart Shark or Angel, both of which I enjoy flying) ...... In fact I was flying the Shark this morning in minus 5 degree's C ...... it would have been a great day for the Xeno ..... very cold but no wind at all .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:10 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
16 years ago a year delay for new products was the norm if a new item would become avaiable at all.
Also there might be first revision issues that motivate me to pass a new model until it has ben proven for a while (few mounths)
I have no idea what happend but i think something must have gone wrong at mpx since most (if not all) there new products hve been delayed.
I hope it will not be the same as with m$ vista wich was both late and had "room for improvement" but the report so far apear to be posetive.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:31 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post

What is supposedly a problem with the Cularis?

Jürgen

A lot of people have had problems with the connection between the electrical aileron/flap joint at the wing root with obvious results! Why didn't MPX use their own foolproof (green) 6 pin connectors instead of trying to re-invent the wheel?
However, if the supplied parts are modified slightly, a reliable connection can be effected.

I wish you all a ''Merry Christmas''!
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Dec 25, 2009, 01:40 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
460 Posts
back to the Xeno - flies well but sure has a high wingloading. it is much heavier then comparable models - also it turns on a dime but is really not very stable when flown slow. also grass tends to get caught where the rudders are attached to the wings (not sure if I can improve this by changing the design slightly). i like the looks and the foldable concept but am not overly impressed with the execution. it is a sturdy bird though.
Franz2002_01 is offline Find More Posts by Franz2002_01
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:57 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
Hmm... How heavy is it?

My Unicorn (48" flying wing) is happy flying and gliding even with gadgets stuck all over it, taking it's weight up to almost 1kg (35oz).
Pook is offline Find More Posts by Pook
Old Dec 26, 2009, 03:08 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook View Post
Hmm... How heavy is it?

My Unicorn (48" flying wing) is happy flying and gliding even with gadgets stuck all over it, taking it's weight up to almost 1kg (35oz).
Approx. 810g with the tuning drive option, giving it a wing loading of just over 25g/dm².

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:20 AM
Failure is an option !
Marseille - France
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
xeno throw

How do you launch yours ? Do you turn the power on once it has been thrown in order to keep your five fingers ?
austin13 is offline Find More Posts by austin13
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:58 AM
Greece, Attica, Piraeus
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Hi and Merry Christmas to all of you.
I have some observation to make about the Xeno.
I had a mishap with it (totally my fault) and i crashed it from ~10m.
The plane went in with the nose (typical) in about 10cm grass and here is what i found:
Although the crash was not that bad for any foam flying wing the plane was totaled...
The motor pod plastic bases were broken clean, the canopy was broken, the plastic center section was broken at the hinging area and at the nose and the wing's leading edges were deformed too much for my taste to repair it.
True that some glue would fix things but it would look like Frankenstein
not to mention that the pod plastic base would give up shortly in my mind.
True that all parts are available but i don't like selling my home each time the planes mildly crashes (for a flying wing).
I also have a Robbe Airbull, a Great planes wing and some other wings so i can say that the Xeno flies better than any flying wing i ever had but it is by far the most fragile.
Just to be more clear it is the best flying wing when it flies so i am not bashing the plane, in fact i will get me another one but i will reinforce it heavily with glass especially at the leading edge and this time the motor pod will stay out.
Chris
hendrix is offline Find More Posts by hendrix
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:05 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Merry XMas
Sorry to hear that
Could you post some pics, please?
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:14 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,417 Posts
I wouldn't reinforce it so heavily with something strong. The effect would be exactly the same as before, the foam and plastic will crash against the glass instead of ground !
The solution is to damp the impact as much as possible by patching the nose with a hard foam replaceable former that wil take the impact force and protect the plane itself.
Being in your shoes, I would used some layers of autoadhesive foam like this:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8999
I use a similar local bought foam having 6mm and adhesive one side only with great success on all my potential impact areas.
I am planing to build myself the next flying wing having the whole leading edge made from such foam on an internal hard core skeleton made from coroplast.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa