HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:16 AM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin13 View Post

Next step we will do some combat with my brother (45 actually and I am 38 ) using some tape floating behind our wings ... by the way would you have any advice on which material to use to make 2x 5meters (15 feet) tail to our Swifts ?
I ll tell you the differences and my feeling between Xeno, Stryker and Swift II in the next days...
I've been using Safety barrier tape on my Superfly wing ...... it's great for orientation and adds stability in challenging conditions .....

the tape is very light weight but it does add some drag so I cut the width down from 50mm to a 1/4 of that (12mm) ....... I glued 6mm plastic tubes into the rear of my wing and to these I simply tie on the strips of tape ....

here's a link to the type of tape I use ..... it's available in most Builders/construction supplies outlets .... you need the non-adhesive type ...... top of the list ....

http://www.handyhardware.ie/cat/Safe...hfull/278/1040
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:58 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The diameter is 35mm and the carbon shaft diameter is 4mm. Unfortunately you can't mount another spinner anyway, because the supplied shaft is not long enough for any other commercially available spinner system.

Jürgen
My LHS ordered one for me, will get it in few days.
I'll buy 4mm carbon rod and some boat shaft coupler
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:40 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun View Post
My LHS ordered one for me, will get it in few days.
I'll buy 4mm carbon rod and some boat shaft coupler
Caution!: You can't use grub screws on a carbon shaft. The shaft of the Xeno drive is glued into an aluminium adapter on the motor side and uses a collet type adapter on the spinner side.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:48 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
hove some epoxy at home
thank for info

first, need to have it in my nahds, then will decide what to do.
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:59 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Flying at -5° C is no fun ...

but as the weather forecast predicts even worse conditions for the weekend, I left work early for a trip to the flying field.

Initially I planned to fly for 10 minutes, land and check the consumed energy from the battery. After only five minutes into the flight, my thumbs started to freeze and I decided to land a bit earlier.

6:50 minutes of flight consumed 156 mAh from the battery pack.

Frozen ground is "a killer": even a soft landing can leave lasting marks on Elapor.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:11 AM
Electric only
rkopka's Avatar
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
at temperatures next to 0°C (32F) and a cold northerly wind of approx. 15mph, this is no time for serious flight testing.

AUW weight: 810g.

With the recommended 3s950mAh battery, correct CG was achieved without additional weight.

Jürgen
Seems a rather high weight ?


This construction has the same weight with a 3s2200 Lipo !

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:23 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopka View Post
Seems a rather high weight ?


This construction has the same weight with a 3s2200 Lipo !

RK
Well, you can compare the weight of your "contraption" with the weight of the original drive set components :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=88

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:36 PM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Landings on frozen ground take their toll:
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 02:20 PM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
but as the weather forecast predicts even worse conditions for the weekend, I left work early for a trip to the flying field.

Initially I planned to fly for 10 minutes, land and check the consumed energy from the battery. After only five minutes into the flight, my thumbs started to freeze and I decided to land a bit earlier.

6:50 minutes of flight consumed 156 mAh from the battery pack.

Frozen ground is "a killer": even a soft landing can leave lasting marks on Elapor.

Jürgen
Please order a 'Transmitter cover and hand warmer' ......

we need you flying your Xeno for reporting purposes ......

something like this ....

http://www.greathobbies.com/products...ghpmitt_01.jpg
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 03:05 PM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Please order a 'Transmitter cover and hand warmer' ......

we need you flying your Xeno for reporting purposes ......

something like this ....

http://www.greathobbies.com/products...ghpmitt_01.jpg
The Xeno is really easy to launch, but I am not sure, whether I would get my hand in this contraption in time.

Also my trusted cameraman (James Frolik) is on vacation in the USA over X-Mas.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:23 PM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The Xeno is really easy to launch, but I am not sure, whether I would get my hand in this contraption in time.

Also my trusted cameraman (James Frolik) is on vacation in the USA over X-Mas.

Jürgen
yes, I agree ...... You would certainly need someone to do the launch for you .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:35 PM
Electric only
rkopka's Avatar
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, you can compare the weight of your "contraption" with the weight of the original drive set components :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=88

Jürgen
I did:

MPX: 219,9g + 103g battery -> 323g
mine: 134g + 167g battery -> 301g

From these numbers my Xeno should be even lighter, so I gained some weight somewhere. It's not the servos. I use a light RX.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:55 PM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopka View Post
I did:

MPX: 219,9g + 103g battery -> 323g
mine: 134g + 167g battery -> 301g

From these numbers my Xeno should be even lighter, so I gained some weight somewhere. It's not the servos. I use a light RX.

RK
So how heavy is your Xeno then?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:14 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,422 Posts
First serious design flaw revealed. A fellow Xeno engine axis broke at second launch, due to excessive acceleration.
He expected this thing, because there is a * known fact * that carbon fibers does not handle well longitudinal torsion, so he had ready the replacement: a brass tube same diameter, with a 2mm carbon rod glued inside.
The brass will provide anti torsion strength, while carbon will keep it straight.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Dec 20, 2009 at 04:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:42 AM
Electric only
rkopka's Avatar
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
So how heavy is your Xeno then?

Jürgen
810g

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Multiplex Xeno checkup Flying Wings 129 Apr 10, 2010 09:47 AM
Yippee! New Multiplex Models 2009: MERLIN and XENO Doubletap Slope 12 Feb 26, 2010 11:31 PM
Discussion XENO, New to Multiplex??? sparkie624 Hitec/Multiplex USA 4 May 27, 2009 07:16 PM
Discussion Multiplex Xeno as FPV JakAck FPV Talk 7 Mar 09, 2009 07:40 PM
New Product Multiplex Xeno soundcheque Flying Wings 2 Mar 03, 2009 10:25 PM