SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:57 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Discussion
42" EPP Edge 540 by Fancyfoam

I have been talking about this plane over in my Edge thread.
It is based on Leadfeathers planes from his 32" Edge 540 thread. I am getting close enough that I thought I would start a new thread to stop taking up space in his.
I love how his 32" Edge flys and Leadfeather had been talking to me about trying a larger plane that used an actual airfoil to get better outside performance. Well I love how this 42" Edge flys.
42 Edge 540 vid2 (2 min 27 sec)

Specs:
Wingspan = 42"
AUW with 1000 mah 3s battery = ~18 oz.
Airfoil = Selig full symetrical.
CG = 4.5" from leading edge.
Construction = EPP foam and Carbon fiber.
Plans

Updated motor selection:
Turnigy 2410-12Y 1000kv, 10x4.7 or 11x4.7, needs prop saver and shaft shortened, mounts directly into stick mount. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6664
Turnigy 2410-8 890kv, 10x4.7 or 11x4.7, needs prop saver and shaft shortened, mounts directly into stick mount. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6944
20-22L, 10x4.7, needs prop saver and shaft reversed. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4700

Any way this thread is for asking question about the plane and build. In order to save you money I do not actually produce plans but rather will either do a build thread with pictures or a build video. My youtube account already has specific and general build videos on it as well as several flight videos including this plane.
NOTE: I have stopped using the 3mm tail stiffeners and now have the nose doublers extended all the way back.

There are two ways to put the doublers together.
1) Spray a heavy coat on the doubler and then press it against the side of the center piece with the alignment tabs. Pull it back off and then let the glue tack up. Start sticking them together at the very front edge and align them as you lay the doubler on the center piece. This is a one shot deal but you donot need to wait afterward and can do the other side and continue building.
2) Spray a heavy coat on the doubler and then press it against the side of the center piece with the alignment tabs. Slide it around so that it is aligned perfect. Turn over and do the other doubler. Recheck both doublers for alignment. Use a little weight to press the parts together evenly and let it set for 4 hours to day. After 4 hours check to see that the parts are stuck together well. If they pull apart let them dry longer. If you use too much weight or put it on unevenly it is possible to induce a warp.
42 Edge 540 Construction video #1.wmv (9 min 39 sec)

42 Edge 540 Construction video #2.wmv (9 min 47 sec)

42 Edge 540 Construction video #3.wmv (7 min 38 sec)

Mike
www.midwestfoamplanes.com
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Last edited by motorhead; May 06, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:16 AM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
It's a great looking plane, Mike. I have to wonder why you have stayed with the crutch style fuselage rather than going with an Infineon style full fuselage. You could save the carbon in the tail, and have a much more torsionally rigid fuse. Just a thought, not to take away from the current model in any way. Crutches are easier from a building stand point, I realize.
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:51 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Definately the easy to build was a driving factor. I have built a few full fuse foamies and think that they looks allot better but they more than doubled the complexity of the build. The other reason is that it flys so well as is I hate to change it.
Mike
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:30 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
I got the cut wings in and they look good. I will make the kits available for sale tomorrow. The construction videos are uploading now.
Mike
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:28 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Kits are now on the site available for sale.
Mike
www.midwestfoamplanes.com
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:50 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,239 Posts
Nice job motorhead as also.
Twisted Realm is online now Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:07 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Well, I have sold a few kits. Is anyone building? I guess I need to post another video to light some fires.
This is still my favorite plane to fly. I do fly it indoors when I can and if the temp is not too low I take it out side where I can really wring it out.
Mike
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:47 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
This airplane is just plane(play on word) great. It will do anything you tell it too. Can't wait for some decent weather to fly it some more.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 04, 2010, 12:40 AM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
Outfitting questions!

I have an order in for one of your 32" Yak 55's, once that is built I will buy this Big Edge EPP. My question is will a Hacker 20-20L be too powerful for this or the 20-26M be a better choice for outdoors flying? And what motor are you using? I have no batteries in the 1000ma 3s size, are these the smallest size batteries you would use? Naturally I would like it to fly as "light" as possible!!

Thanks
Bob
IBbob31 is offline Find More Posts by IBbob31
Old Jan 04, 2010, 04:47 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
This is how I equipped my edge.
Motor-Turnigy 2213/1050KV/19A/59 gram
ESC-Turnigy Plush 25
Batteries-Turnigy 1000mah 3S20C/92 gram
Servo's- HXT 9 gram
Prop-11x4.7 slofly
AUW-18.55 oz
It hovers at less than 1/2 throttle with plenty of pull out and good vertical.
Harriers with no wing rock. Knife edge with very little to no coupling, not even worth mixing out. Elevators perfect both upright and inverted. Flat spins both upright and inverted are ez. Flips and tumbles pretty good for a relatively large foamy. Roll rate is pretty good. Handles slow and fast speed very well.
As you can tell, I am excited to get some more stick time with this plane. It is a real good kit with exceptionally good fit and ez to assemble. Very good deal for the price.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:16 PM
Flapping Rudder
Kiowa, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
395 Posts
Comparison

Anyone here willing to compare this plane to the 3depp yak-55? I notice the price on this plane is far less expensive than the 3depp.com yak-55.
danamas is offline Find More Posts by danamas
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:38 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Mike,

The Edge looks great!!! I think I'm going to have to pick one up. I didn't realize that this has an airfoiled wing until Jerry Combs pointed it out to me.

This looks like it would make a great snow covered parking lot flyer!!!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:43 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,239 Posts
Looks great motorhead, how do the larger size epp foamies like this one handle a crash compaired to the smaller size like the 32" birds?
Twisted Realm is online now Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:04 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBbob31 View Post
I have an order in for one of your 32" Yak 55's, once that is built I will buy this Big Edge EPP. My question is will a Hacker 20-20L be too powerful for this or the 20-26M be a better choice for outdoors flying? And what motor are you using? I have no batteries in the 1000ma 3s size, are these the smallest size batteries you would use? Naturally I would like it to fly as "light" as possible!!

Thanks
Bob
I am running the Turnigy version of the Hacker 20-22l
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idproduct=4700

It has good performance on this motor. I have run this plane and motor with 3s 500mah, 1000mah and 2200mah. I like the 1000 the best for outdoors. You can feel the extra weight with the 2200. For indoor I use the 500 as it will hover at 1/2 throttle and as long as you keep the ful throttle to short bursts the battery can handle it fine. Plus the loss in weight is nice.
Mike
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:04 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
This is how I equipped my edge.
Motor-Turnigy 2213/1050KV/19A/59 gram
ESC-Turnigy Plush 25
Batteries-Turnigy 1000mah 3S20C/92 gram
Servo's- HXT 9 gram
Prop-11x4.7 slofly
AUW-18.55 oz
It hovers at less than 1/2 throttle with plenty of pull out and good vertical.
Harriers with no wing rock. Knife edge with very little to no coupling, not even worth mixing out. Elevators perfect both upright and inverted. Flat spins both upright and inverted are ez. Flips and tumbles pretty good for a relatively large foamy. Roll rate is pretty good. Handles slow and fast speed very well.
As you can tell, I am excited to get some more stick time with this plane. It is a real good kit with exceptionally good fit and ez to assemble. Very good deal for the price.
Any chance we can see a video of you putting it through the paces?
Mike