Closed Thread
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:30 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Build Log
Binder EB29 1/4 scale 7.3 meter scratch build

There is something special about scale gliders, especially large ones. I have been planning a scale build for some time now and was fortunate enough to find an ASW-17 fuselage, thanks to Tony Elliott.

The ASW-17 is an absolutely gorgeous sailplane but it has been done to death in most every conceivable scale. The special, one-off 23 meter version built by Dick Butler looked like a nice challenge but, for some reason, I just couldn't get excited about it.

While reading rec.aviation.soaring looking for inspiration, I happened upon a thread titled "Best Looking Sailplane". There weren't any really surprises, at least in my my mind, and predictably the ASW-17s, ASW-20s, ASW-22s, Libelles, and Kestrels all received nominations.

There was one glider mentioned, however, that I had never heard of: the EB29. The poster said something like:
If you like the 17 and the 22... check out the new Binder EB-29 - its
fuselage is a combination of the 17 and a T-tail.
Not to mention the nice aspect ratio of 51...

A combination of the '17 and '22 sounded too good to be true and I just happened to have an ASW-17 fuselage and canopy.

A little bit of Google research revealed an absolutely stunning ship:

http://www.binder-flugmotorenbau.de/eb29.html?&L=1

The folks at Binder Flugmotoren & Fluegzeugbau were kind enough to send me an information packet that contained three-view drawings. By the way, if you're in the market for an open class glider and have 220,000 Euro to spare they make some nice ships. You could get 10 of your closest friends together and it would only be .....

A quick trip to the local copy shop, a long explanation of why I needed "This drawing blown up 1,320%" and a roll of paper later, yielded full-scale drawings of the EB-29 from which I could work.

As the title of the thread states, the 1:4 wingspan works out to be 7.3 meters. The root chord is around 7.5 inches with the tips narrowing to less than half of that. The plan of attack for the wing and tail is the tried and true obechi/carbon cloth/foam sandwich devised and refined by Tony. I've wanted to try Graphlite since I first read about it so the spars will most likely be a pultruded carbon, balsa with aramid sleeve arrangement.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how very close the fuselage I have matches the scaled drawings. The conversion from cross-tail to T-tail should be relatively easy and the rework of the cockpit area doesn't pose any real drama.

As I have posted before, I would really like for the European GPS-EuroCup style of flying to get a strong foothold in the United States and other countries, so this ship will be built semi-scale with more attention directed at performance and less on small detail.

I'm tired of talking about this so let's get going. Attached are photos I've been collecting during my research.

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:59 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Fuselage

The work on the fuselage will be focused on reworking the cockpit area, tailoring the wing fillets to a new airfoil and converting the cross-tail configuration to a T-tail. The fin chord will also need to be increased.

The fuselage is epoxy/glass with gelcoat. It's of unknown origin so taking the Dremel Moto-Tool to it won't be quite so difficult.

The "waist" behind the wing root on the EB29 fuselage is slightly smaller than the '17 but the difference is too small to even consider changing.
Last edited by yyz; Nov 28, 2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:12 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Retractable landing gear

I liked the dual gear on the ASW-22 so much that I decided to use one on the ASW-17 build. This is one of the first non-scale modifications to the ship but I don't think anyone can argue against the use of heavy-duty landing gear on a seven meter ship.

Zbigniew Michalczyk of Z Mark Enterprise does beautiful work and his quote was very reasonable. His attention to detail and passion for my project was contagious and has been a great source of motivation.

The design is still being finished but here is a sneak preview.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:31 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Eb28

Some photos of the EB29's older two-place brother, the EB28.
Last edited by yyz; Nov 28, 2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:04 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Fuselage modifications begin

Today, the '17 fuselage got a glimpse of how it will look after its face lift.
Last edited by yyz; Nov 28, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:17 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Fin and tailwheel mods

Again, dashed lines are the ASW-17 profile.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:18 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
Looking very interesting. Are you going use the fuz to make a new mould or fly the modified fuz?

S
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:06 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Shed,

I'm going to modify the fuselage I have. I want to have this plane ready to fly for early spring.

If it ends up being a "good flyer" and there is interest, I can make a mold from the modified fuselage.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedofdread View Post
Looking very interesting. Are you going use the fuz to make a new mould or fly the modified fuz?

S
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
Hi Mike,
Glad to see the detail in your thread. I'll be following along with great interest.

LEN
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Nov 29, 2009, 03:17 PM
uk/england
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
Hi
Looks nice love the bends in the wings (some aspect ratio!)
Keep up the good work
Iain
The SKY MAN is offline Find More Posts by The SKY MAN
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:46 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Iain & Len,

Thanks for following along and also for the encouragement. I'll try and keep the thread interesting.

Mike
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Dremel Day in the shop

I was feeling energetic this morning so I decided to tackle the bodywork on the fuselage. If you are an ASW-17 aficionado, please turn your head for the next four or five posts...

While I was tempted to use the tail wheel fairing of the '17, it ended up being too far forward and it looked like the rudder might drag on the ground, so off it goes. Before grinding it off, I'll take an impression of it and add it back on later when I rebuild the fin.
Last edited by yyz; Nov 29, 2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:26 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Fairings have to go

After filling the wheel well, rudder cable fairings and stabilizer fillets with West Systems filler and micro-balloons, I ground them all off. The little German gentleman that built this fuselage was kind enough to use plenty of filler in the stabilizer fillets so sanding them off was an easy task.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:55 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Cockpit (cont).

To resolve the difference between the ASW-17 and EB29 cockpit, I decided to fill in the area with light balsa and then reshape it. This easily doubled the amount of dust in the shop.

Square canopy corners were the order of the day in the '70s. Gerhard Waibel designed some beautiful ships, including the '17, '20 and '22. It was a shame to hack on his sculpture.
Last edited by yyz; Nov 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
Closed Thread