HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:28 AM
www.rcdude.com
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Discussion
Differences between the CC HV ESC's and HV "ICE" ESC's?

Not sure if everyone knows yet or not , but Castle Creations has released a new set of ESC's to the market. The have the newer "ICE" ESC's that came out a couple months ago , but they just came out with the new HV-ICE's ESC's as well. I don't understand what the reasoning is behind these newer ESC's?

The "regular" ICE ESC's have an internal 5 amp BEC , but the older HV series and newer HV-ICE series do not. Besides the name of HV and HV-ICE i see no difference between these two except some slightly different amp ratings.

Example in the older HV series they have a :

30 amp
45 amp
85 amp
110 amp
140 amp

in the newer HV-ICE esc series they have released ( as of now)

40 amp
60 amp
80 amp
160 amp

Ok.....i'm not really sure what the reasoning is behind these new ESC's as they just filled some small gaps between the older HV series , but why are they called "ICE" series......what makes them so special?

One more thing.....in the newer HV-ICE series , there is the 80 amp then they jump all the way up to a 160 amp....where is the 120 - 130 amp esc.....why such a huge gap here?

The only reason i'm posting this is because i'm trying to figure out what the differences are between a lot of these newer HV ESC's castle has come out with. And why are they called HV- ICE anyways.....they already have a HV class ESC group and the other standard ICE ESC's can handle the 50V as well.

I'm getting ready to buy a few of the bigger ESC's myself , probably the newer HV-ICE 80amp and a regular ICE 100 amp , but before i do , i'm hoping maybe someone can jump in here and help explain some of the differences. I've looked on the castle website , but the descriptions are pretty bland.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:01 AM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
Seen ICE ESC in action, and spoke with one of the test pilots before the new ICE series was release. This was what I have gathered.

One of the major selling point for the ICE series is its ability to log flight data. Voltage, RPM, current, temperature, etc... The 5A switching BEC on the none-HV ESC is only icing on the cake.

However, even if data logging capability is not needed, I would still opt for ICE ESC as it may be using newer processor with more memory. This along will ensure your ability to continue to upgrade and take advantage of the latest firmware/feature CC may come up in the future. If case if you are aware, not all exist CC Phoenix ESC can be upgrade to the latest v.3.00 firmware. CC's earliest offering used 220 processor, made prior 2002, with older processor can only run firmware up to v1.5x.

-
asm_ is offline Find More Posts by asm_
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:07 AM
www.rcdude.com
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_ View Post
Seen ICE ESC in action and spoke with one of the test pilot before the new ICE series was release. This was what I gathered.

One of the major selling point for the ICE series is its ability to log flight data. Voltage, RPM, current, temperature, etc... The 5A switching BEC on the non-HV ESC is only icing on the cake.

However, even if data logging capability is needed, I would still opt for ICE ESC as it may be using new processor with more memory. This along will ensure your ability to continue to upgrade to the latest firmware and feature CC may come up in the future.

-
Thanks ASM.....did you mean the HV-ICE series as well over the regular HV series? I know it was only a few months ago they released the newer HV-140 as well. So i gather that the older HV series may be phased out but why bring out a new 140 i wonder? since these newer ICE ESC's may have more memory and such , maybe they have a newer hardware type interface as well? gets confusing man.......
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:24 AM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
Yes, I mean HV-ICE.

The interface for the ICE and none-ICE ESC is still the same - Castle Link. I doubt it will ever change as I believe Castle link is simply a USB to serial type interface.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:57 AM
www.rcdude.com
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Thanks ASM for the advice.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:50 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,156 Posts
Biggest difference is the number of cells that the HV can take over the standard ESC.

ICE Lite 6S, Standard Ice 8 cells max, ICE HV 12S
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Dec 09, 2009, 05:59 PM
Joined Nov 2009
91 Posts
hey so what exactly is a switching bec
bigdog5332 is offline Find More Posts by bigdog5332
Old Dec 09, 2009, 06:26 PM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
Switching BEC is actually call Switching Regulator. It differ then the traditional BEC (aka linear regulator) by method used to regulate voltage.

Switching regulator cycles thousands of time per second, and the regulator is either in full on or full off state in each cycle, depending on the output voltage needed. Imagine if you can flip the a light switch on and off super fast to create a dimmer effect. In this method, almost no energy is wasted.

Linear regulator regulates by converting the excessive voltage into heat. Therefore it is far less efficient then the switching regulator.

-