HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:21 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,458 Posts
Discussion
Hobbico NexStar Mini EP -Tell Me About It Please

The Hobbico NexStar Mini EP looks to be a really nice plane for a trainer. And it comes with a crash replacement guarantee. That's a pretty cool feature in itself.

http://www.hobbiconexstar.com/nexstar-mini/index.html

Can anyone please tell me your experiences with this plane? How do you like it and has it served its purpose well?

Pros and cons of this plane would be awesome.

Thanks,

Frank

Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Dec 11, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,458 Posts
Anyone?

Thanks,

Frank
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:51 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
I'm sure you've read my posts about this plane here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9032345/tm.htm
Suprised that there is so little discussion on the Nexstar Mini as it is a very nice plane
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:58 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,520 Posts
There is a review by Tom Atwood in the Jan. 2010 Fly RC, p.76.
Interesting to note that Tom didn't point out any of the "problems" that were reported in the RC Universe thread.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:05 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I'm sure you've read my posts about this plane here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9032345/tm.htm
Suprised that there is so little discussion on the Nexstar Mini as it is a very nice plane
I don't visit RCU that much except for the Giant Scale Forums & glow areas, and hardly ever go to the electric forums. Not much action over there relative to e-powered flight.

But I will have a look. Thanks for the link.

I'd still like to hear thoughts and comments about the NextStar Mini though.

Frank

Edit: Yes, I have seen that. You made the comment that it was a good beginner's plane. I do recall that now. Still feel that way? I thought it was made for beginners.
Last edited by Murocflyer; Nov 29, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:09 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers View Post
There is a review by Tom Atwood in the Jan. 2010 Fly RC, p.76.
Interesting to note that Tom didn't point out any of the "problems" that were reported in the RC Universe thread.
Thanks Ken. Unfortunately, my subscription expired with the Dec issue. I'll have a peak at it when I'm in Wal-Mart next time.

Frank
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
Flyin' the TW!
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jul 2008
270 Posts
Muroc,

I have the Mini Nexstar EP. I bought the Receiver ready version. All I can say is that it is a wonderful airplane. The motor included is more than powerful enough to get you out of trouble (provided you have enough altitude), and it is a VERY STABLE airplane.

What I like about her is she is very versatile; she can do a slow, scale-like takeoff, or get airborne in less than 20 feet. At a little above half throttle, she patterns around very nicely or I can goose the throttle to just under full, kick on the high rates, and I have a very spirited sport-acrobatic airplane.

I should tell you I had over a year and a half experience before I bought her, so I never flew her with the droops or speed brakes. Stalls seem to be straight ahead, without a wing dropping. Yesterday I was at about 200 feet, had her at 1/3 throttle, and she would not stall; she just kept flying slowly with her nose up.

On approach, I give her just enough throttle to keep the prop spinning, and she slows down nicely, and she will do a smooth flare.

Have you flown anything before? I would be glad to share anything about flying.
brookfreeman71 is offline Find More Posts by brookfreeman71
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:14 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
I've now gotten 45 flights on this plane and I like it more each time I fly it. It's quick, quiet and stable. A great grab and fly plane that is very low stress to set up and fly. I also bought the Rx Ready version and am using cheap leftover Tx/Rx from an old Art-Tech foamy. Radio equipment can't have cost more than $20 or so but it performs great.
Because it weighs only 25 oz it is tossed about a good bit by wind but this is to be expected. It never becomes unstable but requires a bit more concentration on takeoffs and landings under these conditions. I've been flying a couple of years now and have progressed beyond trainers but still enjoy them. This one and my larger Electristar are nearly always the first planes I reach for for relaxed enjoyment of flight.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,458 Posts
This is good news. I'm glad to hear it. Looks like Hobbico might have a winner here with this plane. A good trainer platform coupled with a crash guarantee, that sounds like a winner.

Frank
Old Dec 05, 2009, 06:44 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Have one on order, looks like a great parkflyer, anyone have detail on ground and hand launch, any pulls to the left etc, caught the info on slight down trim for half throttle level flight...anyone use the beginner speed etc....how much stick required inflight, wings level with hands off when intrim during flight...I will respond hopefully myself when mine arrieve likely mid or late next week....BEST .
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:17 AM
Flyin' the TW!
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jul 2008
270 Posts
wnppmy,
She is a GREAT parkflyer. I've never done a hand launch, but T/O's are quick. I'm going to try 3/4 throttle to get a more scale T/O. Once she is trimmed out, she is extremely stable hands off. I've never used the speed brakes, or the droops. I'm using a DX5e, which is also bound to my micro Sukhoi, so my mini Nexstar always needs a L rudder trim (I realize I should straighten out the servo. Lazy, I know...) but once she is trimmed, she is straight and level (and OVERPOWERED!)
brookfreeman71 is offline Find More Posts by brookfreeman71
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,458 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Frank
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:12 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Maiden flight, few degrees above zero but winds died down below 10 MPH at times but some gusts, so heck new plane off we go, I was pumped, frigid air and all my bare hands stayed warm, with up to 15 MPH gusts abit dubious after all is a balsa here, no wheels except left the front on to keep the prop off the snow on hopefully a landing...just over 1/2 throttle she went right up needed boost more as winds going on and it penetrates well in the wind, pleased, did hang abit left the droops on for stability but no speed brakes with this much headwind..battery only partial charge at 4 so very brief flying and again gusts, made several turns back and forth finally after only 2 minutes abit further back behind me but close and as am a deadstick lander cut the throttle, it did sail rather well but wind was too much so had to pulse some minor throttle to get back to my open park area, cut the throttle and simply nosed down slightly worked and coming right in, went by me lifted too high in the winds so level again to keep flying, possibly the droops helped here as didn't wing tip or stahl but lots of winds going on, then she settled comfortably in the snow but the wheel came off, not sure if I even had it fastened ! found the small bolt and wheel no harm done, successful flight, see how gifted flyer I am in the calm weather, its does perform very well, pleased !!

Note had to cut the control rods for elevator and rudder as too long but worked fine with right length, the detail is nice on this one and yes it does have some wrinkles but a model iron will take care of that...the battery compartment is slightly cramped but not too bad, had much worse on other models, used packing to the rear of the opening for the right COG Center Of Gravity also remember no bottom wheels on my maiden..balanced right where it should just under 1/3 way back from the leading edge, believe there is a main spar there...easy point to spot...wings single bolt and go on correctly, like the sleeving here where the wings come together as fit over each other for a solid hold, no major issues getting it ready other than I always seem to not tighten the prop correctly and yes first attempt came loose but before launch, some more serious tightening took care of that..all in all a nice one, left the ailerons in the full throw position, forgot to check as would have made them less responsive for maiden, just a touch and it responses quickly, not sure if I'll change it as use to aileron flights...it does have some speed even tho near a stop in the strong 15 plus MPH head winds with only 2/3rds throttle, no suprises on the handling if you've flown ailerons prior...

My only caution is myself as tend to be abusive with flights at times, too windy etc, but if heads up hope to have several fun flights, is abit quick for my night flyers, other than that, another winner !!

Winning points it goes together fast with minor adjustments

Like again how the wings nestle together with only a single bolt
Strong brushless motor plenty of zip here if needed
lipo battery supplied

Only meager issues
yes wrinkled spots on the monocoating but still looks fantastic
surface hookups are much different than others I've used, need some trim work but no biggie
things are set for max throw, not the way I would release it for the novices, but can correct this

But its a beauty and flys very well, thumbs up !!

It flys great, rest is up to the individual pilot..

BEST ..<>...
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Dec 10, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:21 PM
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
I considered this but I prefer foam planes, easier to repair. Also, that crash gaurentee is a little wierd. No one gives those. It would be rc business suicide. Looks like what they're doing is charging so much for the plane that you've already paid for the replacement that you'll get. Of course thats just my opinion. Otherwise it looks like a great plane. I'd buy one if they were cheaper.
It's like the foam Apprentice that I bought.
When a foam plane comes down, you just fly it again. maybe with a little glue. My wood plane looked like kindling afterwards.
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnppmy View Post
Maiden flight, few degrees above zero but winds died down below 10 MPH at times but some gusts, so heck new plane off we go, I was pumped, frigid air and all my bare hands stayed warm, with up to 15 MPH gusts abit dubious after all is a balsa here, no wheels except left the front on to keep the prop off the snow on hopefully a landing...just over 1/2 throttle she went right up needed boost more as winds going on and it penetrates well in the wind, pleased, did hang abit left the droops on for stability but no speed brakes with this much headwind..battery only partial charge at 4 so very brief flying and again gusts, made several turns back and forth finally after only 2 minutes abit further back behind me but close and as am a deadstick lander cut the throttle, it did sail rather well but wind was too much so had to pulse some minor throttle to get back to my open park area, cut the throttle and simply nosed down slightly worked and coming right in, went by me lifted too high in the winds so level again to keep flying, possibly the droops helped here as didn't wing tip or stahl but lots of winds going on, then she settled comfortably in the snow but the wheel came off, not sure if I even had it fastened ! found the small bolt and wheel no harm done, successful flight, see how gifted flyer I am in the calm weather, its does perform very well, pleased !!

Note had to cut the control rods for elevator and rudder as too long but worked fine with right length, the detail is nice on this one and yes it does have some wrinkles but a model iron will take care of that...the battery compartment is slightly cramped but not too bad, had much worse on other models, used packing to the rear of the opening for the right COG Center Of Gravity also remember no bottom wheels on my maiden..balanced right where it should just under 1/3 way back from the leading edge, believe there is a main spar there...easy point to spot...wings single bolt and go on correctly, like the sleeving here where the wings come together as fit over each other for a solid hold, no major issues getting it ready other than I always seem to not tighten the prop correctly and yes first attempt came loose but before launch, some more serious tightening took care of that..all in all a nice one, left the ailerons in the full throw position, forgot to check as would have made them less responsive for maiden, just a touch and it responses quickly, not sure if I'll change it as use to aileron flights...it does have some speed even tho near a stop in the strong 15 plus MPH head winds with only 2/3rds throttle, no suprises on the handling if you've flown ailerons prior...

My only caution is myself as tend to be abusive with flights at times, too windy etc, but if heads up hope to have several fun flights, is abit quick for my night flyers, other than that, another winner !!

Winning points it goes together fast with minor adjustments

Like again how the wings nestle together with only a single bolt
Strong brushless motor plenty of zip here if needed
lipo battery supplied

Only meager issues
yes wrinkled spots on the monocoating but still looks fantastic
surface hookups are much different than others I've used, need some trim work but no biggie
things are set for max throw, not the way I would release it for the novices, but can correct this

But its a beauty and flys very well, thumbs up !!

It flys great, rest is up to the individual pilot..

BEST ..<>...
Thanks for the awesome review! I appreciate you taking the time to type your post. The NextSTAR Mini EP looks to be a real keeper.

Frank