SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:36 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Discussion
F-105D Thunderchief 90mm scratch build with re-maiden video added

My F-105D Thunderchief build has started with a planned 65in fuse and wing span of 37in. The plan was to capture a digital scan from a model like with my F-106 and F-18 and reverse engineer it from there. Work has been so crazy and the timing to get it in was not working out. So with some great design help form Dan Eaton who had looked into the 105 some years back set me up (Thanks again Dan).

I decided to start the build log here because of the multi-material construction and it seems like the foamy EDF sections is more ARF type builds than scratch. We plan on using dapron, balsa, carbon rod and fiber glass board for the build with a planned weight of 7-8 lbs.

Major components used will be 90mm Midi pro, Medusa MR-3660-1300V2SE-5, Castle 110HV esc and BEC, 8 to10s batt options and Spring air 305 retracts. Well here goes.

Jeff
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; May 17, 2011 at 11:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:49 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,162 Posts
one of my favs ...i hot wired a fuse for one of these 20yrs ago to be turbax powered. this should be sweet .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:14 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Rodger,

This is a very lean and mean fuse shape and should be a very fast design. I will need some pointers on the intake ducts and look forward to learning the glass techniques you so masterfully use.

The build style will follow the same technique as the Dart with dapron sections slide over carbon to provide a spine like support structure. Dan scaled the sections for the fuse and I got them cut out of paper and looked over the 3-view for fit. A total of 29 sections will be spaced at 2 ľ in. I have Alex in for scale and Wow 65inís is huge. I will use 3mm dapron for the sections on this one.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:38 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Hi Jeff,
that is going to be one great looking jet. Better get on it though, we only got nine months and some change before E-Jets.

By the way, to give credit where credit is due, the 3D model I cut up for Jeff is one I derived from Steve Bage's free flight design. I know Steve was really interested in seeing an EDF based on the design. For that matter, so am I. I still have a copy of Steve's plans hanging on the wall in my office as a reminder to get a F-105 built one of these days.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,162 Posts
yeah the intake will be long tricky ...kinda like the Draken Ducts. long gear legs too. love the fuse on the thud.....area rule gone overboard.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:29 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
love it!!! fave for sure!!! and tricky ducts, but with a forgiving midi, and all the power available todat it'll do plenty fine! I did a 90mm vampire and left the height of inlets scale for the look, but cheated length wherre you dont relly see it. that and where it hits the fuse way in the corner you could open a half circle in fuse wall. heck even half a 50mm circle is gobs more air to be had. if this was the mod here that black spec area would be all you'd see.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,706 Posts
She's big because the real one was huge! This will be a sweet build.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Nov 27, 2009, 02:05 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,162 Posts
yes when you stand next to a 105 it is a huge jet for the time ....snd they had a huge motor 25,000 lbs thrust and more with water injection
Old Nov 27, 2009, 04:27 PM
Go Electrics
St. Peters, MO
Joined Jan 2008
95 Posts
Today I helped Jeff do some brain storming for the fus carbon rod placement and drawout more of the section views. The ducting and main landing gear will be the trick on this build.
FLYBOYRC40 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOYRC40
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:30 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Rodger,

The estimated intake side is 18in, 16in on the exhaust. I think your Draken was in that range.

With Gregís help we got the placement of the carbon rod that will go from the front gear to the fan for the major structure tie in. Section 6 to 22 have been made and placed on the rod. From the back view pic the shape is starting to show. This mid part of the plane will be my starting point. The wing design and ducting we be next on the list and will require some real thought.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:09 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,322 Posts
Sweet!

Keep posting progress.

--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,882 Posts
Looking good Jeff! Be sure to invite me to the maiden...I know its early but I'm just putting it out there.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Nov 28, 2009, 03:10 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Looking good, signing on for the build.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Nov 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Awesome works.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:23 AM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Thanks guys and Kevin you bet, your technical preflight expertise has saves us for sure in the past. Guys please add ideas for this mid-section, this is a tough one. Iím thinking of a drop in wing duct assembly structure to fit all the way to the fan but I could be way off on this idea.

The F-106 Dart had the wing with duct over top and it allowed a type of separate assembly. The 105 will not work this way though.

I had a chance to get the wing sketched out 35in tip to tip. This is where we were thinking of the fan placement and ducting. The intake coming in at a horizontal and then a twist to a vertical is really going to be a challenge. Iím thinking of a paper cutout to get a shape idea before moving into the foam try. We plan on adding 2inís to the tips and stretch the back side of the wing flaps to accommodate the retract placement. The spring airs should be in next week. They will dictate carbon support placement.

Jeff