HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2009, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,058 Posts
Discussion
Best receiver for FPV

I am planning on getting the Futaba 9c to use with my FPV plane. What is the best reciever I can get to use with this radio (PPM or PCM, it doesn't matter). I have read some good reviews about the Corona RP8D1, but I have also read that it is very glitchy. Any suggestions?
kyle7119 is online now Find More Posts by kyle7119
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2009, 07:03 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Yep go with the corona, inexpensive & you will love it. Just picked up one for My 9c and I was convinced after reports of up to 3 miles glitch free. Also another huge tip, use a 3 cell lipo in the transmitter and you'll get a stronger transmission, up to 20% farther.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Nov 26, 2009, 07:28 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
I like the RP8D1, so far I've tried a Futaba FP-R127DF, a Hitec Electron 6, and the Corona RP8D1, and the corona is the best of the lot, closely followed by the Electron. The Futaba was good, but easily affected by EMI/RF noise on the plane.

I just paid for a used Futaba R149DP PCM receiver to try out. I've often heard PPM is better, you have more warning signs that you're getting out of range than the sudden drop off with PCM, but I've also been reading of 8km flights with the R149DP, so I thought I'd give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, I've got a couple large planes that need a receiver, it'll find a home either way...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Nov 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I use the Futaba R149DP PCM receiver on both my FPV planes and I love them.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:12 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post

I've often heard PPM is better, you have more warning signs that you're getting out of range than the sudden drop off with PCM,
That is an old wives tale There is no better warning of getting on the edge of your range than seeing your plane go into failsafe. PCM with the failsafes set correctly is a minimum for FPV flight, its much better to have all controls go to neutral and have the plane go into a slow glide, with a slight up elevator in failsafe than have them go crazy like would happen with PPM. I have flown as much FPV as anyone and more than most, and I would NEVER fly FPV without a PCM receiver without properly set failsafes.

Mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:30 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
I certainly agree about having a failsafe, but the RP8D1 has it on all channels as well. I've never had to use it yet though, thankfully...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Nov 27, 2009, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,058 Posts
bump
kyle7119 is online now Find More Posts by kyle7119
Old Nov 27, 2009, 05:56 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,083 Posts
my rp8d1 is great. i love the synth feature, and the failsafe. i thought my berg7p was a cool PPM reciever, but the corona far exceeds the berg, and is literally 1/2 the price (and no crystal to buy).

I heard extending the antenna is helpful in extending range also, there is a thread going on about it somewhere here...
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:55 PM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2009
106 Posts
i'm wondering would it be able to let those osd detect rc link lost.
i know it's not ppm and can't set fail-safe like pcm does. however, it does have it's own
fail-safe switch. any ideas?
kason is offline Find More Posts by kason
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:16 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
my rp8d1 is great. i love the synth feature, and the failsafe. i thought my berg7p was a cool PPM reciever, but the corona far exceeds the berg, and is literally 1/2 the price (and no crystal to buy).

I heard extending the antenna is helpful in extending range also, there is a thread going on about it somewhere here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953701
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:08 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kason View Post
i'm wondering would it be able to let those osd detect rc link lost.
i know it's not ppm and can't set fail-safe like pcm does. however, it does have it's own
fail-safe switch. any ideas?
Hi Kason,

I've created a thread regarding fail safe and RVOSD here. You might check it to see if anyone has a solution.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Dec 09, 2009, 07:49 AM
Tbilisi, Georgia
Joined Feb 2007
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
That is an old wives tale There is no better warning of getting on the edge of your range than seeing your plane go into failsafe. PCM with the failsafes set correctly is a minimum for FPV flight, its much better to have all controls go to neutral and have the plane go into a slow glide, with a slight up elevator in failsafe than have them go crazy like would happen with PPM. I have flown as much FPV as anyone and more than most, and I would NEVER fly FPV without a PCM receiver without properly set failsafes.

Mike
+1

I had such a situations both with PPM and PCM. PCM was better for recovery... predictable. Just rise your Radio Tx antenna ahead immediately after loss of signal and you should gain it back soon.
gaviator is offline Find More Posts by gaviator