HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2009, 05:10 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,513 Posts
Question
Supra Pro Competition questions

Hi all,
I need some advice from those with more knowledge than I have on the Supra Pro Competition. Or just more composite experience.
#1 I believe it would take less composite materials to build the Competition as compaired to the bagged Supra wing (ala Phil Barnes style). Therfore cost a little less even if harder to build.

#2 What weights / styles of CF are likely being used on the Competition's LEs?
I see a hearingbone CF/Kevlar on Vladamir's center LEs and in his boom. Dang it looks sharp! and a (probably lighter) CF only on the outboard tip's LEs.

Building the molds for me would be a lot of fun, and a great new adventure.
I have aquired all the stuff to vacuum bag. I want to get into competition while I still can see well enough
OzMo
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:01 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Good luck with building the molds. I am not even sure how one would go about building molds that large at home.

I will say that I have flown with a lot of bagged wing Supras and they seem to be plenty strong and fly very well. Many of those bagged wing Supras are flying Anker's wings:
http://www.stealthplaneworks.com/

When you build the molds, please post photos of the process. I would love to see how you do it.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:40 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,513 Posts
Hi Ed,
WEll, This will be an adventure. The methods are not to tough. The hand launch crowd has been doing this for a while. Pics I've seen so far are of male LE plugs on a board then just bag the composite over the male mold. WELL it sounds easy. I won't begin building 'til after the holidays. I may just do an Anker style bagged one. This I am set up for. But the desire to cut weight is always a BUGGER. Especially if it goes with less costs for composite material. If I can get a handle on the composites used I will be closer to deciding. Been through Anker's site several times. He does some nice work! Wish I could afford one ready made.
Lots of IFs her for sure
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
Why not just build one according to the plans? There are several threads showing exactly how to do it. It will come out weighing in the low 50 oz range, be as strong as molded, and not require any wing molds.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,373 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question... are you trying to build molds simply to SAVE money? You need plugs to pull molds off of. OR... you need to CNC the molds, or the masters... and pull molds off of them.... For one offs, bagging is the most cost effective solution.

I admire your ambition, but I would bet building one according to Drela's plans will save you a ton of money... as well as heart-ache.
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:02 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,513 Posts
Thanks Daryl and Tony,
As I said in the begining, going for bagged one per plans is likey the route I will go. I looked hard at the Competition version pictures thinking the D box LE out of carbon/ kevlar weave and just carbon on the tips was less composite material overall. I was thinking (allways a hazard) a conventional spar per plans with a composite LE taco shell could be combined with balsa ribs with CF caps behind the spar.
At this point I think I lack enough info on materials to have much of a chance at keeping weight under control. That size of bird would be an awfull big experiment.
It has been very nice to get opinions and advice from such experienced flyers THANKS
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:51 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question... are you trying to build molds simply to SAVE money? You need plugs to pull molds off of. OR... you need to CNC the molds, or the masters... and pull molds off of them.... For one offs, bagging is the most cost effective solution.

I admire your ambition, but I would bet building one according to Drela's plans will save you a ton of money... as well as heart-ache.
Daryl,
The answer is both. And bagging as you say is the most cost effective.
This is what I had in mind and it is bagged over the male plug.
Actually I was looking for composite fabric specification or recomendations.
Last edited by ozmo01; Nov 29, 2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:44 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,513 Posts
Hi,
Many have said the Supra and Bubble Dancer fly like oversized hand launch gliders. I guess the Supra continues to evolve in that direction.