HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:42 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,101 Posts
Discussion
CB100 Hangar

ALMOST STICKY: Since the opening of this hangar 17 months ago - there has been considerable effort trying to organize and collate the information in some kind of reasonable order to minimize some of the same questions. If you are searching for help in a specific topic (how to eliminate tail wag for example) - you might want to try the condensed versions offered in some of these links. Some redundancy but better than sifting through 345 pages!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1320483
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186337
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1112568

5166 posts and counting - lots of good advice and help and encouragement for those just getting their CB100 off the ground - as well as the seasoned pilot doing a 100 hour maintenance and checkup.

........................................_______________________
.................................................. ....__|__
.................................................. ...|.......|
.................................................. ....\...../
.................................................. .....----
.................................................. .. /.......\

FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE
Flies beautifully without any modifications or changes or upgrades, but first time heli fliers may find it difficult to control without some prior experience with a coaxial or sim or both. The 45 fly-bar provides a stability that won't be found on most other fixed pitch helicopters, but don't let go of the sticks and don't blink until it is hovering. On the CB100 the fly-bar is shifted 45 instead of the usual 90 degrees from the main rotor and the theory revolving around that is enough to make your head spin just thinking about it. But putting all the theory aside - brushless motors hardly get warm - an exceptionally stable gyro - 8-9 minutes flight time - can take a lickin and keeps on tickin - what an incredible flying machine!! I'm a looooong way from expert (in anything) but sure can appreciate the amount of development that was put into this micro.

SECOND HAND EXPERIENCE
Bought a 2nd one. Flies better than the first. Probably something to do with all the practice on the first? I named them one and two. When one crashes - there is still two left!!

captJack, author
Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQ's 101
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jun 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,012 Posts
I have to start out by saying that I don't have one yet, but I'm glad I waited because reading the other thread has increased my knowledge base. I had a 4#3b for a very short time and found I could not get that silly thing to fly and also spent a ton of time doing maintenance on it in an attempt to get it stable. I am hoping the newest addition to the Walkera random number generated heli's will be the ticket. Before anybody goes out and spends mega bucks on aftermarket mods that may or may not be necessary, just recently the other thread has discovered that changing motor pinions gives an equivalent result at a fraction of the cost!! If that pinion change is made, you can avoid the 2.9g tail motor that, supposedly, was a necessity. The only caution with that is the stock 2.0g motor has bushings instead of bearings, so , the motor life is still in jeopardy. I am planning on getting one after Christmas, but by then, the number of palm size FP heli's Walkera has available may grow exponentially.

ALTERNATE SKIDS:
http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2322
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Jan 30, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:56 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,101 Posts
hi Jack - thanks for climbing aboard and getting this hangar warmed up. Two weeks ago I never heard of a CB100 and from all the negative reports I read about Walkera I wouldn't buy one if I did. All that changed when I came across the original thread and start reading about the CB100 having brushless motors and rave reviews. I converted a Lama-V4 into brushless over a 3 month period (or more) and giving up at least a dozen times before finally getting it to fly. Reading the CB100 was brushless got my attention real fast for being an ideal indoor trainer - the smaller the heli the bigger my living room gets - funny how that works. Will be watching with anticipation how the R&D team on the other thread progresses - sounds like they ready to release version-B in the very near future!! I'd better get practicing !!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:30 PM
Holy Roller
United States, MA, Taunton
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
I'll be joining the hanger next week when my stock CB100 arrives from WOW. I'm looking forward to some relaxing living room flying. I've had various 4#3B's over the last year and have all but mastered them in all orientations. I still fly them. I ordered the CB100 due to all the rave reviews. I just wanted to see what all the hub bub was about.

Some have said that I'll be bored quickly with the CB100 after mastering the 4#3B, but I highly doubt it. I'm not bored flying anything! The act of flying just has that much appeal to me. My MSR is like flying the Titanic compared to the kayak that it the 4#3B, and I still haven't become bored with my MSR.
johnsma22 is online now Find More Posts by johnsma22
Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,845 Posts
Coming from a newbie if walkera is listening. The cb100 is geared towards us so here are my thoughts for your next generation heli. Include dual rates on the transmitter. Include 2 sets of servo horns 1 for learning one for advanced. I feel this would help to slow down the response enough to make it a better transition from coax. And one more thing beef up the landing gear were newbies remember.
This heli is geared towards the new pilot. After your comfortable you can make it more responsive as it has been shown here.

What you get for your hard earned $ I think its a bargin. The only thing I had to replace was the rotor head but was my fault dropped from 30' in neighbor's yard.

Robert
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Coming from a newbie if walkera is listening. The cb100 is geared towards us so here are my thoughts for your next generation heli. Include dual rates on the transmitter. Include 2 sets of servo horns 1 for learning one for advanced. I feel this would help to slow down the response enough to make it a better transition from coax. And one more thing beef up the landing gear were newbies remember.
This heli is geared towards the new pilot. After your comfortable you can make it more responsive as it has been shown here.

What you get for your hard earned $ I think its a bargin. The only thing I had to replace was the rotor head but was my fault dropped from 30' in neighbor's yard.

Robert
Do you think I'll be welcomed on here?? I have two mSR's and only one CB100 and one 4#3 and the 4G3.. Over on the mSR thread they are getting tired of me talking about how good the CB100 is compared to the their toys...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Do you think I'll be welcomed on here?? I have two mSR's and only one CB100 and one 4#3 and the 4G3.. Over on the mSR thread they are getting tired of me talking about how good the CB100 is compared to the their toys...
Bob your always welcome.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:29 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,101 Posts
Welcome aboard Bob !!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:56 PM
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
I started w/ a picco 2 ch., then to a mosquito 3 ch., I got the 4#3b last xmas.(2% trying to fly, 98% maint.). my wife said it wasn't a good gift, i called her crazy cause i loved it....then I bought the cb100(hesitantly).
after getting off the ground (no real ground wash probs. either)I could easily hover it tail in. so much better than the 4#3b. after about 30 flights the battery seems a little weak already. but all in all i love this heli and im going to transplant the guts to my MIA frame(bought it thinking it was stronger than the 4#3b frame and boom). Weak parts on the CB, tail fin, tail rotors,(strip out, easily fixxed w/ ca glue), main rotors, and of course TAIL BOOMS...ohh and use med. thread lock on any screws that come loose. especially the ball screws on the linkage. I'm going to buy a couple of pinions, instead of a more powerful motor. so thanx for that idea. Wowhobbies.com is due for my next order(tail booms and rotors). HAPPY THANXGIVING
mx45or is offline Find More Posts by mx45or
Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:36 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
While it's still fresh in my head.. My son came over with his CB100 so I could do some work on it for him..

I installed the MIA skids and tail stick, replaced the boom I CA tooth picks into the hole inside and ran the wires on the outside, moved the tail esc up front, replaced main blades, put JB Weld on frame in tail boom hole area I figured that might as well do it before it broke there like my CB and 4#3 has, painted it black with magic marker.

For someone learning to fly in area that makes my living room look big I think he is doing good.. Watched him fly it here and he didn't break anything..Was keeping in in the middle of the room OK..
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:33 PM
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
yeah i really love the way CB flies. stable, and locked on. i just wish for a stronger boom stick, 2.5mm is hard tube to find. maybe some braces for the boom would help it...Mario are you reading?
mx45or is offline Find More Posts by mx45or
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:48 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx45or View Post
yeah i really love the way CB flies. stable, and locked on. i just wish for a stronger boom stick, 2.5mm is hard tube to find. maybe some braces for the boom would help it...Mario are you reading?
His new skids have a place to attach some braces. I was thinking of using some black thread and CA to make up something.. But I have nine of the $1.00 booms left in stock. And with running the wires on the outside they are easy to replace/repair with CA and or tape now.. I did pick up some 3/32" aluminum tube at hobby shop thats 2.38mm and with a thick coat of CA might work OK.. three pieces in a pack each 12" long will give 9 booms for 2 bucks...
Last edited by livonia bob; Nov 26, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:39 PM
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2009
10 Posts
Hello all...I'm a first time poster on this site and am thankfull for this thread. I have been in this hobby since retiring a few years ago when I began playing with a nephew's picco. Since then I have gone thru many models(mostly co-axels, after destroying my first tail rotor model in about 10 seconds!) I have stuck with E-flite as they were available locally (spare parts etc) and since I have now finally mastered the MSR I needed a challange. I read all the trade talk about the Walkera 4-3 etc but was still reluctant to order one. I finally decided to get a CB 100 after all the good publicity on the web and all I can say is WOW!! Yes, I have pretty much (in one week)damaged it to the point of it's being useful only as a spare parts repository and have just ordered the upgraded package from wowhobbies. I hope I haven't gotten ahead of myself, but time will tell. I'll post my experience with the new mods(tail roter etc) as soon as it arrives. Thanks again for a great thread-
stblue(Bob)
stblue is offline Find More Posts by stblue
Old Nov 27, 2009, 01:31 AM
I crash therefore I am
Queensland Australia
Joined Nov 2007
876 Posts
Stblue,

Welcome to RCG. It is a great family and I am sure I would not have lasted in this hobby without all the help and encouragement from the folks here.

I started with a picoo z then lama 3 then 4#3 (which I could never fly) then 4#3B which is awesome then CB100 which is by far the best walkera I have had to date. I am so happy with mine and it really does fly great stock. I will not admit to modding mine as this is a stock thread and the CB100 needs nothing to make it a truly great first FP.

Have fun and don't be afraid to ask when you need help.

Vimd
Vimd is offline Find More Posts by Vimd
Old Nov 27, 2009, 02:37 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,101 Posts
Hi Bob - I'll second that motion - we are all here learning and having fun - some of us learning - most of us crashing. If it wasn't hard we'd probably be doing something else. Lots of tips and tricks for improving the bird - would be interesting to hear some tips and tricks for flying. Something I just learned when turning nose-in during forward flight - give a tad of back elevator to slow it down during the turn to minimize the tendency for it to accelerate and head for the nearest piece of furniture. This has really helped to make smoother turns - especially in limited space. Bumping into things at relatively low speeds doesn't seem to bother it much - no visible damage yet with about 10 flights.

Note-1: Shut down the throttle as soon as you bump to keep the ESC's happy. Ready to take notes for other's hints and suggestions.

Thanks
Jack
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Nov 27, 2009 at 03:14 AM.