HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2003, 09:48 PM
San Dimas, 40 km east of Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2002
1,346 Posts
Any slope site in Tucson, AZ area ?.

I go to Tucson, Az quite often.
Are there any slope sites in the Tucson area ?.
ktoey is online now Find More Posts by ktoey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2003, 10:02 PM
Just an A&P mechanic
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
yep, A-mountain if they havent stopped letting them. i used to hang glide off it. its not far from town . you can see the big A on the side of the mountain for miles. Thats the only one i know of
considering it was in 1976 i was there.
Spaceship13 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceship13
Old May 03, 2003, 10:19 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
You could check http://www.slopeflyer.com

They've got good info on sites all over the place.
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old May 04, 2003, 01:04 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
800 Posts
Yup "A" moutain is still there.......any afternoon with a north west wind you will probably find me up there......usually after 3:00 in the afternoon is best but it could be any time. Weekends you will find a group there if the wind is right.

Drop on by
Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old May 10, 2003, 04:12 AM
Alamogordo, NM
Joined Mar 2002
18 Posts
Right next to A-mountain is another peak. The name escapes me right now, sorry. You park at the bottom and walk up. About halfway up there is a research station you COULD park at.... but you run the risk of gettin locked in (same as at A-mountain). I saw two cars get locked in at A mountain flying one evening and they had to call the cops and have the park folks come out and open the gate.
Anyway, the other peak is AMAZING! I have flown a DAW foam51 off that peak for HOURS at a time. It rocks in a good west wind. Not too many people make the trek even though it is a paved road going up, so you'll probably have the mountain to yourself. One note of caution though.... try and use a model locator beeper on your bird. Many times I've had to run a search pattern going down the mountain to find my plane. The plants are deceiving from up on top.
A mountain is great when Tuscon has a rare east wind and is pretty good with a south - southeast wind. Any thing else isn't worth it. Have fun!
dustdevl is offline Find More Posts by dustdevl
Old May 11, 2003, 03:43 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
800 Posts
With an East wind you may find 3 or 4 people there. With a west wind = No one there. South wind maybe a few. South West 1 or 2. But a good North West wind and you'll find 10 to 15 up there.....(on the weekend )so I would say that a user vote for most wanted wind would be NW 10-20

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Last edited by me11owman; May 11, 2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old May 11, 2003, 08:17 PM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Apr 2000
199 Posts
has anyone tried flying from the mining tails south of Tucson. As you go south towards Green Valley(are these guys color blind)
there look to be great mine tailings along both sides of the valley.
Been some time since I was down that way so some of the particulars may be off in my discription.
I suppose you might get shot though by the security.
Bruce
bruce ryan is offline Find More Posts by bruce ryan