Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:25 AM
France
Joined Mar 2007
272 Posts
Discussion
machine gun combat

Hi,
all right it's not a real combat yet, only a trial, but it's on the good way :

Aéromodélisme : combat à la mitrailleuse à billes (4 min 7 sec)

Fred
Fred Van_H is offline Find More Posts by Fred Van_H
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,372 Posts
something doesnt seem too smart about this...
ziomatrixacs is online now Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:07 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,722 Posts
I love it!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:22 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
493 Posts
As they said in "A Christmas Story", "You'll put your eye out, kid!"
phoneguy is online now Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:35 AM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
As they said in "A Christmas Story", "You'll put your eye out, kid!"
I love that movie!
etotheo is offline Find More Posts by etotheo
Old Dec 05, 2009, 02:51 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziomatrixacs View Post
something doesnt seem too smart about this...
Hmm. A whole lot of things don't seem too smart about this...
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Dec 05, 2009, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
437 Posts
They are using airsoft, the new cheaper and funner alternative to paintball. I think they may be on to something and plus I really like the cockpit perspective. I'm subscribing.
SMRTIC is offline Find More Posts by SMRTIC
Old Dec 06, 2009, 12:25 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
This is stupid and a dangerous thing to do and you had been not be doing this at a AMA field! Not to mention that if the police or any law enforcement find out you're doing this, it will bring a black eye to the sport and probably halt all flying. Is that what you want?

This like firing a weapon into the sky. You have no idea where the bullet will land. I had a friend whose sister was killed in Long Island 40 years ago by a teenager firing a .22 into a pond. The bullet ricocheted almost a mile before it hit her in the head killing her instantly.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
437 Posts
For starters, they are in France, so probably not flying at an AMA field.

Secondly, they are firing 6mm plastic airsoft pellets. These are the same pellets that people fire directly at each other in the sport of airsoft. Since the plastic pellet is very light it doesn't carry much momentum and decelerates quickly. In competition, I have been shot at close range at over 400fps with these pellets and at best they sting a little and leave a little red welt. There is a reason why they are shooting at a foam airplane, the pellets wouldn't penetrate much else in this application. What these guys are doing is harmless.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:50 PM
what the...
Joined May 2007
261 Posts
Amen SMRTIC, anyone calling this dangerous has obviously never fired an airsoft gun. Even the most powerful airsoft guns are only dangerous if they hit someone directly in the eye from <200ft. I personally think this is awsome.

Fred Van H-can you give us some details on your setup?
minitelemaster is offline Find More Posts by minitelemaster
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
81 Posts
This is great. Twice a year we fly RC planes out in the desert and blast away with shotguns. This would be the next best thing.
Wasteland is offline Find More Posts by Wasteland
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:41 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
Nothing is harmless that is fired out of a gun! That is why the AMA bans this sort of activity. You can say that it happens in France and that airsoft pellets are used, but the fact is that this sort of behavior will give rise to someone using a more deadly projectile. I cannot believe that anyone with common sense would condone this sort of behavior.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Dec 06, 2009, 08:18 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorme View Post
Nothing is harmless that is fired out of a gun!

I cannot believe that anyone with common sense would condone this sort of behavior.
Meh. Not that I am condoning what these dummies are doing, but

a) Airsoft isn't a "gun," per sť, and

b) Airsoft pellets are, by their very nature, supposed to be relatively safe.

Note that I said "relatively" in the context of "safe." I am very hip to what Dorme was talking about with potentially losing a field. My model rocket club lost nearly every flying venue we had over the last decade or so. Most places that allowed model rocket flying ten or fifteen years ago banned it not because it was dangerous, but because the perception of danger rose to the point of making it much easier to say "no" rather than investigate how safe the sport really is.

By doing stuff like this that can be perceived as unsafe we make it easy for landowners and municipal hacks to deny us access to flying spaces. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot, eh? Even with Airsoft.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:03 AM
Joined Jan 2007
437 Posts
I agree with what the useless geek says. It is amazing how peoples perceptions work. A few years ago, if one were to take a slow, underpowered, glow engine plane into a public park to fly, you would have been run out because R/C planes are dangerous. Nowadays, I see people running overpowered electric aircraft at local parks, and that 120mph bullet is considered safe because its only powered by a little electric motor. The new motors are very powerful, have explosive batteries, and no glow motor could instantly be turned on. All great innovations to the hobby, but the public perceptions are backwards.

Don't worry, anything I do in this hobby, I make sure that safety and public opinion are my top priorities.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:52 AM
Possum Kingdom Lake, TX
Joined Oct 2008
460 Posts
most airsoft guns can barely fire across the street (trust me, I've shot at my neighbor when we leave for work at the same time ). The couple times I have hit him, or he hit me, you can hardly notice it...much less be hurt.

8 year olds run up and down the street playing army with these things. I don't think we're going to be killing anyone with a RC mounted airsoft gun anytime soon.

if someone wants to bring one down here and strafe me with one, I"ll gladly volunteer to be the test dummy.

I think there is alot of over-reacting going on.

full disclosure---I don't, nor have I ever, flown at a AMA field
Le Pirate is offline Find More Posts by Le Pirate