SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2001, 02:09 PM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Quote:
It sounds as though you have a faulty receiver. I use this receiver indoors with 6 other transmitters and have no problems. It is claimed that this receiver has an outdoor range of up to 1000ft.
I agree - something must be wrong with the receiver. I've got GWS R4P in my Pico Stick and I'm more than satisfied. Couple of times my plane has been so high and far, that I've hardly been able to see it - but still no problems with the range... I would not be surprised if the range was over 1000ft (in good conditions).

-=Mike=-
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2001, 05:15 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
Many thanks for prompt replies. ESC is GWS 2A but does have cut-off, apparently. I tested the output to the Rx and it was 5.00V exactly (off-load, admittedly). Have just returned from flying field, where I lost it about 200 feet away, so something's not right! Tx is JR652, which is also new, so could be faulty, but my gut feeling is that it's the Rx. Supplier says he expects ground range of about 70 feet, with a Futaba Tx, but not sure whether this means he's prepared to change it...

[This message has been edited by alterego (edited 06-07-2001).]
alterego is offline Find More Posts by alterego
Old Jun 07, 2001, 07:23 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
What is the voltage in your tranny? I had a serious glitching problem once flying indoors when my tx battery was rather low (9,6V).
Once charged back up I had no more problems.

Have you checked your tranny's arial? Dirt and such trapped between the sections can greatly increase the resistnace resulting in a great loss of range.

This might not be an issue but all factors add up. Worth a look anyways.

Good luck!

Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jun 07, 2001, 08:09 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
I think the key here is that the glitching goes away as the throttle is reduced. This, at least to me, indicates either the receiver cannot operate at lower voltage levels or the ESC is not supplying the proper voltage under load. If the cutoff is right at 5V then it could be the receiver.

If this is a very lightly loaded model, it is conceivable to still be in flight at lower throttle and have the voltage drop quite a bit with the current drain of the tiny servos out there. Then it starts to twitch until you lower the load on the battery and the voltage comes up.

Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.

Steve

Addendum-dum - I just re-red your original post and see the short ground range test. I would give the transmitter a look-see with another receiver or try another transmitter. It could be the receiver also. Just have to go through the process of elimination.

[This message has been edited by stevem (edited 06-07-2001).]
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jun 08, 2001, 12:50 AM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
Range problem with mini Rx

I have a GWS Pico (R4P) Rx in a Lite Stik (Pico Stick here in the UK) with GWS ESC and standard motor. The range is really poor, even though aerial lead is full length, and the servos twitch when motor starts to fail, but can regain control (if quick enough!) by throttling back. Range check on ground is 30 feet max - less if motor running. The trouble is that I haven't done any aircraft modelling for years, so I don't have any compatible radio gear to check against. I suspect the Rx, and have moved it as far back as the ESC leads will allow, with some improvement (I think) but it could be the ESC itself and/or motor suppression. Even with the motor disconnected, the ground range is not too impressive - the Tx manual suggests 75-100 feet, although I gather that the baby Rx's are not very sensitive. I was going to fit bigger capacitors to the motor, but wonder if that would interfere with the operation of the ESC, which I assume uses pulse-width modulation. Ferrite rings sound sensible (but may be heavy) and I'd like to nail the problem properly. I'd be grateful for any thoughts - I've just joined this forum and could spend hours browsing!
Old Jun 08, 2001, 12:57 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Can you tell us some more about your setup? Does the ESC have cutoff or is it one of the GWS micros without cutoff? If no cutoff, you may simply be seeing too low voltage to operate the receiver/servos. Lowering throttle allows more power to the servos and receiver. The tiny GWS and Cirrus sub micro servos can hog a lot of power.

I have one of the GWS with the stubby antenna and have had zero problems with it.

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jun 08, 2001, 12:59 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
alterego,

It sounds as though you have a faulty receiver. I use this receiver indoors with 6 other transmitters and have no problems. It is claimed that this receiver has an outdoor range of up to 1000ft.

Mike Smart
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jun 08, 2001, 08:57 AM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
You're quite right, Steve and Haldor - I need to be methodical about this. Just because I think it's the Rx doesn't mean that the Tx is blameless!

What's a reasonable ground range? The JR manual says 75-100 feet, but I assume slightly less with a baby Rx.

Will let you know results...
Old Jun 17, 2001, 05:08 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
Update - I sent the Rx back to the supplier, who checked it against some others, and got similar ground range. He sent it back to me with a new crystal (same channel) and I detect a very small improvement, but still glitches less than 100 yards away in flight.

I wanted to check my Tx, but haven't yet found anyone local who uses a JR outfit to compare it with. However, I took the crystal out of the Tx and pulled it out of the plastic housing, in the hope of finding a clue. On the case above the frequency, it has the letters F T - could this mean it is really a Futaba crystal? The Xtal was supplied separately from the Tx, because I hadn't realised that the Tx would come without one (I bought it as a separate item, not as a set), so this is possible...

If anyone with a Futaba has got FT on theirs, or anyone with a JR has got something else, I'd be very pleased to hear!

James
Old Jun 18, 2001, 06:51 AM
Teddington, UK
Joined Dec 1996
275 Posts
Hi Alterego,
I've got a JR652 and if you're not using a JR crystal the range will be pretty poor in my experience. I'd order in another (JR) crystal and see if that improves things.

Barny
ybanrab is offline Find More Posts by ybanrab
Old Jun 18, 2001, 01:44 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
Thanks Barny - that was my feeling, but the supplier (of the Tx) assures me that it wouldn't work at all with a Futaba crystal, and that they are differently packaged. He wouldn't confirm what F T meant though!

I think this may be a red herring, but it is probably worth trying another crystal, anyway.
Old Jun 18, 2001, 02:09 PM
Costa Messa, Ca, USA
Joined Mar 2001
211 Posts
Alterego, what lenght antenna does your receiver have ? They come with either 18,5"
good for indoor and 39" good up to about 1000'. They claim that the 18,5" antenna will
have about 200 meters (about 600') less range. http://www.balsapr.com/balsapr/catalog6/

[This message has been edited by vicman (edited 06-18-2001).]
vicman is offline Find More Posts by vicman
Old Jun 19, 2001, 01:57 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
Thank you Vic. I'd be more than happy with 400 feet, even though I do have the long aerial. I did wonder if trailing the wire parallel to the long control rods might lower its performance, so will try out along the wing. Have also wrapped the Rx in foil - am now waiting for the wind to drop!

[This message has been edited by alterego (edited 06-19-2001).]