HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2010, 03:02 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,124 Posts
I would be happy with that. I don't do much precision measuring on days when the temp gets above 35 in Melbourne and I'm assuming you are not talking about self heating here?

0.01% error in a 10 mOhm measurement is 0.001 mOhm which is far smaller than your 0.1mOhm precision unless I have mised something obvious (as usual )

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels View Post
John,

I can produce the 24-bit units with the current boards that I have, the trouble is I won't have tempco on there (unless I install a daughterboard). Will have to get a few of them in stock before I build of course . Without the tempco there'll be a swing of about 10ppm/'K from 25'C ( so, at 35'C, there will be about a 0.01% error just from the reference, ignoring other temperature related cumulative effects - however those should be nulled out due to the nature of the way I'm doing the testing ).

Paul.

Paul.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2010, 03:07 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
More a case of myself perhaps overstating the severity of the issue

I'll see if I can do some more work tonight.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:07 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Finally sourced some reasonably priced Kelvin test leads... will be about 20 days before they arrive though.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:23 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
New "high precision" version of the boards arrived today. These are the ones that'll take a 24-bit sensor amongst a few other things to really 'tweak' the results.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:07 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,124 Posts
Waiting patiently.
Quote:
New "high precision" version of the boards arrived today. These are the ones that'll take a 24-bit sensor amongst a few other things to really 'tweak' the results.
Old May 03, 2010, 06:15 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Partially built the the new high precision board, the 24-bit ADC is still flying its way to me so that'll be a week to go alas.

I was testing the 13-bit temperature sensor though, it works very nicely and has a 0.0625'K resolution, rather handy.

The temperature sensor will be used to let me determine the 'true' resistance value of the reference resistor as the ambient temperature changes.

Here's a photo of the current setup, the LCD is at an odd angle simply to let me debug things with ease.
Old May 03, 2010, 07:08 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,124 Posts
So do we get a free precision thermometer thrown in with the LOM? Might not be such a silly idea. That kind of accuracy at room temp is pretty hard to find. Assume would just need a small switch and some clever Paul programming to show one of two alternate displays.

John
Quote:
Partially built the the new high precision board, the 24-bit ADC is still flying its way to me so that'll be a week to go alas.

I was testing the 13-bit temperature sensor though, it works very nicely and has a 0.0625'K resolution, rather handy.

The temperature sensor will be used to let me determine the 'true' resistance value of the reference resistor as the ambient temperature changes.

Here's a photo of the current setup, the LCD is at an odd angle simply to let me debug things with ease.
Old May 03, 2010, 07:31 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
John,

I was planning on concurrently displaying the temp + resistance... and alternating to show the current as well, let's see... 8 chars... 5 for temp, 1 for current, (0~9mA) mmm it won't look good with temp + current on one line so I'll just alternate

The sensor works very nicely, I can hover my finger over it by about 15mm and it detects it within a few seconds as the airtemp warms up around my finger (assuming no breeze/airflow).

Paul
Old May 03, 2010, 05:46 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Found some domestic stock of the 24-bit ADC that I need, quite costly indeed but at least I should have it on Wednesday to test.

I've had to also bump the microcontroller up to the next higher level (8K flash, 1K RAM) in order to cope with the extra math (dealing with 32-bit integers, things get large very quickly).

I am pleased though at how nicely the design is working out.

The display is the next thing I'm not "entirely happy" about. 8x2 LCD is great, it does the job wonderful but it's not very large. A physically larger 128x32 pixel display would be a better option and then use bitmapped characters/digits. I could use a 8-digit 7-segment LED display but the cost is about the same and the power consumption is much higher, not to mention you lose a lot of potential display options such as putting the current and temperature on concurrently.

Paul.
Old May 03, 2010, 06:43 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,124 Posts
Hmmm... not sure about that.

Wouldn't an obvious application for this be to have a continuous readout of resistance as you move around a circuit/trace looking for cracks etc?

Alternating readings would drive me bats under most circumstances. I would prefer to be able to lock on to one that is prominantly large for continuous display.

John
Quote:
John,

I was planning on concurrently displaying the temp + resistance... and alternating to show the current as well, let's see... 8 chars... 5 for temp, 1 for current, (0~9mA) mmm it won't look good with temp + current on one line so I'll just alternate

The sensor works very nicely, I can hover my finger over it by about 15mm and it detects it within a few seconds as the airtemp warms up around my finger (assuming no breeze/airflow).

Paul
Old May 03, 2010, 06:49 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,124 Posts
That would be nice. I've just been testing a little Wattmeter from AEO-RC and I'm REALLY impressed by how much more usable and readable the display is, even at a small size, with different size digits.

See attached.

John

Quote:
The display is the next thing I'm not "entirely happy" about. 8x2 LCD is great, it does the job wonderful but it's not very large. A physically larger 128x32 pixel display would be a better option and then use bitmapped characters/digits. Paul.
Old May 03, 2010, 06:54 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
That looks much like a 128x64 display. I can get away with 128x32, I can use 20x16 pixel high main digits and 8x6 pixel high sub digits (for current/temperature). Of course, the trouble there is now that you really do need an entirely separate display board with a separate controller
Old May 03, 2010, 07:34 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,124 Posts
Well, these guys did it all with one board and an Atmega8L.
Quote:
That looks much like a 128x64 display. I can get away with 128x32, I can use 20x16 pixel high main digits and 8x6 pixel high sub digits (for current/temperature). Of course, the trouble there is now that you really do need an entirely separate display board with a separate controller
Old May 03, 2010, 07:51 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Not sure if I can do it on mine... certainly cannot do it with the current board because I'm using a 4-bit LCD interface (gfx displays want 8-bit) and I've run out of I/O pins due to chewing them up with the :-
buzzer
calibrate interface
mode-select
auto-ranging
SPI bus + ADC and temperature-sensor control

Ultimately it'll be 'simpler' :COUGH: for me to make a separate SPI/serial controlled LCD controller board, that way I can move it around in the case (thinking bigger cases here) and only need 3 wires to run it (data, +, -).
Old May 03, 2010, 07:59 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,124 Posts
And at least it would be re-usable for other designs??

J
Quote:
Ultimately it'll be 'simpler' :COUGH: for me to make a separate SPI/serial controlled LCD controller board, that way I can move it around in the case (thinking bigger cases here) and only need 3 wires to run it (data, +, -).