HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:53 AM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
Now I tried Spectrum DM8 Futaba module (not for MZ). This module already has a voltage regulator 3.3 volts and pull-up resistor on the PPM input. Connection with the Spectrum module DM8 Aurora see in the Schematic Diagram. Also tried both modules with a transmitter Multiplex Royal Pro connected through trainer connector, this transmitter is very easy to change the number of channels in the PPM. Both modules (DM8 and DM8 for Futaba MZ) work fine from the 6-channel to 9-channel PPM.
yurip is offline Find More Posts by yurip
Last edited by yurip; Apr 05, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:40 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
This is exciting! I'd love to fly the UM Spektrum stuff with my Aurora. I'm mostly electronically illiterate. I can follow instructions. Can someone give me the specs on the components I would need to make a DM8 module in my Aurora? Specs on the diode?What connectors do I need? Can you post a full image of the connector? Image of everthing connnected? Anything else to know? Thanks!
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:53 AM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
Wait a bit. Need to modify the connection to the DM8 Aurora. I apologize for being misleading. Yesterday I tried to Royal Pro, because Aurora was not at home. Today I brought the Aurora home. Both modules were not working with Aurora during pull-up resistor at the input of PPM, the output amplitude of the PPM in Aurora falls from 5 to 3.6 volts and 1.6 volts as the input of the microcontroller in the RF module and the module does not work. Removing the pull-up and both modules work, but the amplitude of the input of the microcontroller in the module 3.84 volts, it's too much. I think to try to put transistor inverter with open collector output between Aurora and the input module DM8
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:14 AM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
The new solution for Spectrum module DM8 Futaba MZ, easier and works See post # 59 with the corrected Schematic Diagram. Used a voltage divider resistors.
Also correct post # 61, now all work with Aurora 9, and one more option to connect to DM8MZ shown in picture, in my opinion a more correct
Last edited by yurip; Apr 04, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:44 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,211 Posts
Yurip, Thanks for all your effort........Now, I prefer the older DM8 (non-MZ) cause it has already built-in Regulator. I just need to add 1 transistor and 2 resistor.....one dis-advantage is its only 8 Channel.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:02 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
My module DM8MZ bought more than a year ago, and the module DM8 over 2 years ago and both work. Try to do it. In thread of the Royal Multiplex long used Spectrum modules and modules reportedly supports 9 channels. If does not work, then it will be necessary to cut the last channel using a microcontroller or buy a new module.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:18 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,743 Posts
This is great stuff! Any idea if/when Spektrum will make the DM8 module DSMX capable?

Thanks,

Keith
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:15 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
I want to try the Spektrum module from DX5e DSMX via a digital protocol
Old Apr 05, 2011, 04:39 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,211 Posts
Yurip, does the PPM Output of Aurora 9 transmitter drive a LED Lights ?

been thinking of using an OPTO-COUPLER such as 4N25 or 4N35 ...... this gives a Total Electrical Isolation.....Been thinking of making a StandAlone Modules with its Battery Supply so can I can easily connect to Aurora9 thru a Training cable only, then the Module can just clip on the Handle Bar.

I do not like to Plug and Un-plug those Modules, its so inconvinient, and you can easily worned-out those Connector.
Last edited by lazy-b; Apr 05, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:26 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy-b View Post
Yurip, does the PPM Output of Aurora 9 transmitter drive a LED Lights ? ...
I do not know. And I do not understand what is required Total Electrical Isolation in this case. You can connect the module to Aurora9 thru a Training cable only with a separate power supply and it does not need to use the optocoupler.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 04:02 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
This is exciting! I'd love to fly the UM Spektrum stuff with my Aurora.... What connectors do I need? Can you post a full image of the connector? Image of everthing connnected? Anything else to know? Thanks!
I'd like to see this as well. Are you building this in the cable between the Tx & DM8 module or using a seperate little bread board?

My only problem with my UM T-28 is the damn RTF Tx. I'd love to be able to use my A9.

And what about using the trainer port? I saw it mentioned but couldn't find a details on whether it's possible and if so, how to do it.
NefariousRC is offline Find More Posts by NefariousRC
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:10 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,012 Posts
Yurip,

Thanks for your effort. However, all this talk of open collector and pull-up resistors is making my head spin.

Could you please show us the proper circuit to be used with a DM8 Futaba (non-MZ) module. Thanks

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:36 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,211 Posts
chewy, for the DM8(non MZ) modules just follow the circuit diagram post by YURIP, its Post #61, just look at the first picture of this page.

Yurip, for non critical application, no need to make it electrically isolated.......just for a better circuit design and more fool-prof I prefer electrical isolation........anyway, its just so happen I have so many Opto Coupler.........With Opto-Coupler, anything happen to the Modules will not affect the A9 Transmitter.

Yurip, have you tried the Futaba DM8 module on a JR Radio ? I guess, it should work, you just need to re-arrange those servo connector.
Last edited by lazy-b; Apr 06, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:30 AM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
791 Posts
In post 63 Yurip states that the schematic from post 61 did not work with the non-mz module on that A9. I don't think there is a working solution for the non-mz module at this point. (I would love to be wrong about this, so please let me know if I misunderstood.)

I think the non-mz module may still have issues with the 9th channel. I know that it has been mentioned that a circuit could be inserted to strip the 9the channel, but I have not seen a design for that circuit.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:41 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
Sorry, I'm all confused my bad English and a lot of extra arguments to my posts. Now in post 59, 61 and 64 circuit diagram correct and working, checked on my modules with a 9-channel receiver AR9000.

About issues with the 9th channel. If I'm not mistaken on the site espirt was an old text from the site of the Spectrum "The number of usable channels is determined by the number of channels output by your radio's PPM stream. For JR users, this translates into a maximum of 9 channels, while Futaba radios output a maximum of 8 channels via the PPM stream"

I understand that the use of the optocoupler is good, but do not want to open Aurora to find the output circuit.
Do not have a JR transmitter, and therefore nothing to try. DM8 for Futaba radio work with positive shift PPM, but DM9 for JR radio work with negative shift PPM. so your must use invertor.

I will try to connect via trener port and then will write about the result.
Last edited by yurip; Apr 06, 2011 at 03:47 PM.