SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Feb 2007
32 Posts
Mine is built but waiting on module to get here from China via rikshaw or maybe oxcart, ordered on the 29th of last month.
rlongfel is offline Find More Posts by rlongfel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:22 AM
United States, CO, Craig
Joined Apr 2010
16 Posts
deleted
cubbuddy is offline Find More Posts by cubbuddy
Last edited by cubbuddy; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:40 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Feb 2007
32 Posts
After a lot of hair pulling my Orange TX mod is finally working. I would have to say it's really a outside the case mod for most people as the area where the A9 connector has a component and ground plane on one side and a different ground plane on the back. I rotated the SMT diode and removed the PC board for the connector. Would not work until I jumpered the ground planes back together. Still have to put it back in the case but at least it's working.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Feb 2007
32 Posts
More pics
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
So for a luddite like myself, does it make more sense to buy a used DX6i for micros/indoor models, instead of modifying a new A-9 for compatibilty with Spektrum ?
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
So for a luddite like myself, does it make more sense to buy a used DX6i for micros/indoor models, instead of modifying a new A-9 for compatibilty with Spektrum ?
That's my current plan. I normally use an Aurora 9, but I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap DS6i for all the BNF stuff.

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:33 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Feb 2007
32 Posts
To be clear you don't modify the Aurora9 in any way other than removing a small clip locking the antenna in place. All the mods are done in the TX module ( Specktrum DM8 or DM9 or the KobbyKing Orange TX module)
I used the HobbyKing version as it's cheaper $29.99 compared to the almost impossible to find Spectrum @ $49.+
You just swap out the module when you want to fly BNF or use HK Orange recievers or any DMS2 or DSMX reciever up to 8 channels. Takes about 15 seconds.

Rich
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2004
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
If you're a luddite as you suggest, you wouldn't own an A9 Tx right?
mtnlvr is offline Find More Posts by mtnlvr
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:32 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,604 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755578

Is the neatest solution. Dsm2. Dsmx
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Very interesting. At $95 it's almost the same price as a used DS6i, with 2 more channels and the convenience of your existing TX.

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Feb 2007
32 Posts
It's really all about the convience of one TX the Aurora9. I could buy a DX6i but then I would have another TX to remember to bring and forget to charge and leave at the field cause I am used to having only one.
And all the A9 programming!
Basically I spent $35. and I can fly any BNF spektrum and can fly all my foamies with $6.00 receivers.....

10 R615 recievers for 10 foamies = $60.00
1 Hitec Optima6 = $50.00
= no more swapping recievers!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by rlongfel; Feb 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2004
172 Posts
So has anyone actually tested their modified-for-Aurora module to see if it still works in a Futaba Tx with all the custom circuitry in place? I know someone was speculating that it would still work, but hadn't heard if anyone had actually confirmed.
mtnlvr is offline Find More Posts by mtnlvr
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:34 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
I have one of those. Very nicely constructed and works well.
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Apr 08, 2013, 04:32 PM
United States, TX, Lake Worth
Joined Jun 2008
72 Posts
Do you have a pic of the other side of your pcb.
Is there a video of this build out there? Im not having any luck finding one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbuddy View Post
The new SPMMSFUT720 works for this mod. I did one of the outside mods and one for the inside of the module. Both worked great I flew my Radian(AR500 receiver) to almost out of sight and it was rock solid. Was able to bind with all my Spektrum receivers. I Provided a picture of the internal board installed in the DM8. Special thanks to Jeremy Fobord for providing me the answers that allowed me to get it right the first time.

UPDATE:
I used the antenna that came with the DM8. Had to shorten the supplied rod that screws down into the transmitter about one inch. The antenna fits on the end of the modified rod. Very easy to remove when you want to change modules. I have flown with this mod a number of times over the weekend and it is rock solid. Thanks to all the people that made this mod a possibility!

I used a balance connector from an old two cell LIPO for the connection to the A9 pins.
willfly4food84 is offline Find More Posts by willfly4food84
Old Apr 08, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, TX, Lake Worth
Joined Jun 2008
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjm View Post
Thanks for your help. I'm uploading a few pics to see if someone sees something I don't.

For reference, I used the 4.7K, 22K resisters and the MPS2222A NPN
PPM/P modulation selected.
Problem is I seem to have power but when I hold the bind button in during powering on it doesn't ever flash (and I didn't get it to bind to a receiver.)

I had extra resistors and bought an extra NPN so I expanded them out and soldered them on a pcb. Same result as before so I don't think I had a bad transistor the first time.
Thank you for posting these pics!!! I was able to figure it out with them!
willfly4food84 is offline Find More Posts by willfly4food84