chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitros83 View Post
HI guys, i need a bit of help i got a SPMMS2142 12 channel Spektrum modules for the MC22 and MC24 Graupner radio, that i would like to use with my A9 my idea is to make a pigtail to plug behind the module from the TX, can someone tell if it is something possible if so can tell me some guideline?

Thanks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209186558...84.m1423.l2648
can anyone help me please?
nitros83 is offline Find More Posts by nitros83
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
??? What does nvm mean?

chewy
"NeVerMind..." I had done a quick dig through the radio menus and was just going to say that the only trainer port option was to select "all" channels or "stick" channels. Then I went duh "nvm" when I remembered the thread was about the module interface, not trainer port. Sorry for being less than helpful with the initial response.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:37 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Had help trying a few more things with my module.
* Tried working spektrum mod in my Tx. Works.
* Replaced components with working module components in my module - same diff. Light powers but won't go into bind mode.

In the process, we noticed the circuit boards are different.

Either my module is bad or something minor has changed between revisions of the dm8 module since they were out of stock for so long and then came back in stock. I need a Futaba to test the dm8 module with but haven't found one yet. Time to start looking I guess.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
I have an A9, which I love, but I am looking to connect to either a spektrum module for it's comms with the satellite setup or a moduel compatible with the Futuba sBUS technology. I am doing this because a new multirotor FC can only be operated via SBUS or spektrum satellite tech, and I don't want to buy a new controller.

After reading through most of this thread it looks like the DM8 is the popular spektrum module to connect with. However, I can't find one of those modules anywhere.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but what other modules could work given the criteria I stated above? I would rather not pave new ground since I am not an electronics whiz, but one that someone has successfully used would be great.

Or, if there is a source for DM8s that someone knows about, that would work as well.

Thanks,
Jonathan
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:23 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
I got mine from bigskyhobby. Emailed and he will send module only without receiver. But... if you read through the last while. I didn't get it to work. Still haven't figured out if there is some difference between the dm8 modules before they went out of stock for a long time and after they came back in stock. (And I don't know if he has any more either but I checked a couple days ago and they were not out of stock)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Hi, The Frsky dft futaba module works great. http://www.alofthobbies.com/futaba-t...ry-module.html

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before, but what other modules could work given the criteria I stated above? I would rather not pave new ground since I am not an electronics whiz, but one that someone has successfully used would be great.

Thanks,
Jonathan
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:53 PM
< 1100W in Seattle
Joined Mar 2006
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
multirotor FC
I love abbreviations & acronyms. Good chance the implied meaning is not in this list: http://www.acronymfinder.com/FC.html

My FBL controllers can be used with S-Bus, satellites and a standard receiver.
The new NASA with RTH - GPS, etc.... certainly can.

With all the wiring, tie wraps, connectors, motors etc.....to save 10grams???
LowWatts is offline Find More Posts by LowWatts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Sorry FC = flight controller. On the same point, I haven't heard FBL before either . The specific controller I am talking about is talked about here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683776

Essentially, it only supports SBUS or spektrum satellite connections currently. Being opensource it's likely to gain other support later as well, but no guarantees. I love my A9 and really don't want to switch over. So, I am considering ways to use a futuba module or spektrum module that can communicated with compatible receivers. The thread was mentioned as a good place to start looking.

Or i may just wait it out and see what the community comes up with in terms of standard rx support.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:44 PM
< 1100W in Seattle
Joined Mar 2006
359 Posts
Ouch! Pricey devil.
FBL = FlyBarLess = heli acronym as you probably determined.

Sorry about jumping on the acronym, but it just called out. Sometimes clarity is but a few key strokes away and helpful to those that are not of like mind.
LowWatts is offline Find More Posts by LowWatts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowWatts View Post
Ouch! Pricey devil.
FBL = FlyBarLess = heli acronym as you probably determined.

Sorry about jumping on the acronym, but it just called out. Sometimes clarity is but a few key strokes away and helpful to those that are not of like mind.
Agreed. I apologize. I try to be clear because I know how annoying it can be. Heck, I can't keep up with all of the acronyms at work (military UAVs). You spend your first few weeks just learning the lingo
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Guys, i have been following these post (or trying to) but there has been too many abbreveations your average rook like myself will not get off back. Is there any way someone can put together a detailed tutorial on getting this mod completed. I and many others will greatly appreciate your hard work for the Hitec cause. I get that there is need for a spectrum module for futaba, a transister, and two resisters ( please correct me if i am wrong) but where/how should it be put togeter?
Kingbled is offline Find More Posts by Kingbled
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I just grabbed a DM8 for conversion. Finally!

It appears it may be one of the newer versions of the DM8, which are not known to work with the conversion circuit from what I've read here.

I don't want to hose my A9, for sure, but I do have access to a lot of electronics and RF test equipment to help figure out what's going on with this new version of the DM8 module. However, I personally have no skill at electronics. I just happen to work at a satellite communications electronics factory (doing software stuff).

So, given that I have this equipment, what should I test on the new DM8 to see what kind of conversion circuit will be necessary? Should I verify the pinout, the PPM levels, etc? What should I be looking for?

Thanks!
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:30 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
You could always just hook up the components without modifying the board and see if it works. Perhaps I somehow screwed up the module that I had up and these new modules work fine. Or perhaps the components I had just didn't pull the signal down far enough or some other minor electrical quirk of the way I wired it together. Hard to say without additional data points/testing.

The one thing I don't have access to is a Futaba Tx to find out if the dm8 module worked in it's intended target Tx in the first place.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:21 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
If you have any other Hitec module based transmitter you can test your DM8 with it, you don't necessarily need Futaba. The Aurora is the only module based radio that uses the different pin locations.

Also, I built the circuit detailed here into an adapter wire that plugs into the radio on one end and the module on the other. That way I can still use the module in an old school Hitec module based radio like the original Optic 6 and Eclipse. You could try this first to see if it works for that new module before doing a permanent modification.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR