HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Good News!

I just got my Dm8 module in the mail and already had my circuit board ready to go, I plugged everything in and was able to bind to my MCP X using my A9.

I got all the servos to move the way they are supposed to, only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to get the blades to spin... the light on the MCP X flashes like 3 times instead of being solid like it is when it's ready to fly, I moved all the buttons on the A9, tried to configure the T-Hold feature, kill switch and everything with no luck... Has anyone tried to configure their A9 with this bird?

Thanks
KorbenDallas is offline Find More Posts by KorbenDallas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:45 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorbenDallas View Post
I just got my Dm8 module in the mail and already had my circuit board ready to go, I plugged everything in and was able to bind to my MCP X using my A9.

I got all the servos to move the way they are supposed to, only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to get the blades to spin... the light on the MCP X flashes like 3 times instead of being solid like it is when it's ready to fly, I moved all the buttons on the A9, tried to configure the T-Hold feature, kill switch and everything with no luck... Has anyone tried to configure their A9 with this bird?

Thanks
Reverse the throttle channel? Just a guess.
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
I tried that already but no luck...

again, the problem is that when the MCP X is ready to fly the L.E.D lights up solid. When I'm using my DX5e the light starts blinking when the throttle hold is on. Therefore I think when I bind to it, it automatically puts it in Throttle hold. The MCP X will also do this same exact thing when it doesn't bind correctly to the TX.. I'm beginning to wonder if it may have something to do with my circuit board conection etc..
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Success!!

for anyone that's interested, my problem was that my rudder channel was reversed... for this particular bird (MCP x) when you bind to it with any computerized TX you need to hold the rudder to the right to indicate it's a computerized TX or to the left if it's a regular one such as the DX5e.

What I did was reverse my rudder, and held it to the right after letting go the bind button on the DM8 AFTER about 2 blinks just after powering up.

servo's and everything works and was able to pick it up and hover.
Now my next dilema is configuring the channel speeds and suck which means the worst part is over.

Thanks a bunch guys!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:40 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,454 Posts
As posted earlier, I installed the open collector inverter inside of the A9. I bring it out along with power via a servo extension and plug the module into it and leave the A9 in pupil mode. I ordered the HobbyKing Supermicro Futaba module along with one of the bricks. Added a servo extension to the module and it works just like the DM8. So now I have three different modules and the HK stuff is much cheaper than the Horizon bricks and servos. Will have several kits built for indoor flying in the fall.
bigbobed is offline Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
I received my dm8 module the other day. I purchased the 4.7k and 22k resistors along with the mps2222 transistor. Put it altogether on a breadbox just to test and no go. I've verified I have 7 volts going to the dm8 by testing the wires coming out of the A9. Should I get a light on the DM8? To bind would I power on the A9 while holding the button on the DM8 (and making sure to say yes to turning on the transmitter)? I just tried to do all different combos with my mcp and nothing. Is there some testing points on the DM8 I can use to verify if it is working properly?

While looking at the DM8 board with the white 5 pin connector on the top facing me (the holes thru the circuit board into this connector on the back side), I put the PPM on the far right pin, bat+ on the 4th pin to the right and ground on the 2nd pin to the right. Sound about right? Any suggestions?
neteng is offline Find More Posts by neteng
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
< 1100W in Seattle
Joined Mar 2006
343 Posts
Modulation? PPM - P?
LowWatts is offline Find More Posts by LowWatts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Ppm/p
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
HI guys, i need a bit of help i got a SPMMS2142 12 channel Spektrum modules for the MC22 and MC24 Graupner radio, that i would like to use with my A9 my idea is to make a pigtail to plug behind the module from the TX, can someone tell if it is something possible if so can tell me some guideline?

Thanks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209186558...84.m1423.l2648
nitros83 is offline Find More Posts by nitros83
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:23 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neteng View Post
I received my dm8 module the other day. I purchased the 4.7k and 22k resistors along with the mps2222 transistor. Put it altogether on a breadbox just to test and no go. I've verified I have 7 volts going to the dm8 by testing the wires coming out of the A9. Should I get a light on the DM8? To bind would I power on the A9 while holding the button on the DM8 (and making sure to say yes to turning on the transmitter)? I just tried to do all different combos with my mcp and nothing. Is there some testing points on the DM8 I can use to verify if it is working properly?

While looking at the DM8 board with the white 5 pin connector on the top facing me (the holes thru the circuit board into this connector on the back side), I put the PPM on the far right pin, bat+ on the 4th pin to the right and ground on the 2nd pin to the right. Sound about right? Any suggestions?
Well I got a light when I tried it, but the light wouldn't turn off when I went to bind something. I just got my Tx back from hitec support. Now I'm gun shy to keep trying. I think I want to try out a known working module in mine next. One thing that I did was to also provide a tap on my circuit board for a different voltage so I could test the ppm signal was being inverted correctly.

Anyone have success with these new dm8 modules that just came back into stock? That would stink if something was different.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
I believe I have the new DM8 module. The transmitter says DM9 on it.

So thinking I fried something too I went back to Radio Shack and bought it all again, wired it all back up and connected it. Did not work. Still no light. I dropped the Hitech spectra back in and verified it still worked with my foamie and it did. Pulled it out and put the DM8 connectors back in and still nothing.

mulicheng - since I don't really know what this is actually doing I'm not sure how I can test if the PPM signal is being inverted correctly. How can I test it?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Ok... so looking at a post #99 in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=99 Picture #3 shows I have the ppm,power and ground in reverse. As soon as I put PPM to the top left pin, power to the 2nd pin and then ground to the 4th pin the power light on the DM8 went on. I was able to bind my mcp to it but then the battery in the mcp died. Will go try the MCPx and Ember in a few minutes.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:16 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,008 Posts
Hi,

I read that you have the A9 output set as PPM+ve and then use this inverter. Wouldn't it be possible to set the A9 output as PPM -ve and forgo the inverter?

I am too lazy to dig out my tx to see if it can be set to PPM -ve. The other HItec tx like the old 6 & 7 channels can be set either way. But, I think that should be what is required since it is a Futaba module and Futaba is PPM -ve.

Please tell me if I am wrong....

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:26 AM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
nvm
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
I need to test my dm8 module in a futaba to see if that isn't the problem.