SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,560 Posts
I've triple checked the wiring. I'm stumped at this point.

When you turn the module in to binding mode, do you just hold the button until the light flashes and then let it up? Mine never flashes.

From what you said about changing the modulation, that suggests that the module won't go into binding mode if it isn't getting a PPM signal it understands. Unfortunately I don't have equipment to test what signal is coming out of the module and out of my collector pin. :/ Maybe I'll have to borrow something somewhere. It isn't that complicated of a circuit though. Seems unlikely I got a bad transistor. I tested all the connections with an ohm meter.

PPM -> 4.62 -> Base
Base -> 21.5 -> ground
PPM-> ~26.5 -> emitter
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post

When you turn the module in to binding mode, do you just hold the button until the light flashes and then let it up? Mine never flashes.

From what you said about changing the modulation, that suggests that the module won't go into binding mode if it isn't getting a PPM signal it understands. Unfortunately I don't have equipment to test what signal is coming out of the module and out of my collector pin. :/ Maybe I'll have to borrow something somewhere. It isn't that complicated of a circuit though. Seems unlikely I got a bad transistor. I tested all the connections with an ohm meter.

PPM -> 4.62 -> Base
Base -> 21.5 -> ground
PPM-> ~26.5 -> emitter
Where are you getting the ppm pulse from?
bigbobed is offline Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old May 26, 2012, 02:29 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed View Post
Where are you getting the ppm pulse from?
Used the references for A9 pinout mentioned earlier
Looking at the back of the aurora with pins on the lower left
Pins 5 4 3 2 1
with
5 = PPM
4 = Vbat
3 = Ground
2/1 Unused
Old May 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Used the references for A9 pinout mentioned earlier
Looking at the back of the aurora with pins on the lower left
Pins 5 4 3 2 1
with
5 = PPM
4 = Vbat
3 = Ground
2/1 Unused
Did you change the modulation to ppm/p?
Old May 26, 2012, 02:43 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,560 Posts
Quote:
Did you change the modulation to ppm/p?
yep.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,560 Posts
And for completeness
Looking at the back of the dm8 module with the pins on the top

1 2 3 4 5
1 unused
2 ground
3 unused
4 Vbat
5 PPM

I must have got power/ground right because the light comes on right? Only thing left is if I wired something with the NPN wrong or just have a bad part somewhere.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:54 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
How are you connecting the pins on the Aurora to the module and where is the transistor?
Old May 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,560 Posts
Quote:
How are you connecting the pins on the Aurora to the module and where is the transistor?
I plan on eventually making the module fit inside like it was made to fit. I think LowWatts did some like that. For now, I was just testing things making sure I got the process down. I used a servo connector for the 3 pins on the Aurora side. I just put the transistor and the resistors soldered into the servo wire about 3 or 4 inches from the connector. Then I plugged the servo wires individually into the slots on the DM8 module.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
Quote:
I plan on eventually making the module fit inside like it was made to fit. I think LowWatts did some like that. For now, I was just testing things making sure I got the process down. I used a servo connector for the 3 pins on the Aurora side. I just put the transistor and the resistors soldered into the servo wire about 3 or 4 inches from the connector. Then I plugged the servo wires individually into the slots on the DM8 module.
The servo wire that has the ppm pulse should not plug into the module. It goes to the base of the transistor through a resistor. Solder a wire on the collector of the transistor and plug that wire into the modules ppm pin.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,560 Posts
Quote:
The servo wire that has the ppm pulse should not plug into the module. It goes to the base of the transistor through a resistor. Solder a wire on the collector of the transistor and plug that wire into the modules ppm pin.
That's the way I did it. I listed PPM on the dm8 pins below but really I mean that is what I plugged the collector input into.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
Well that only leaves two choices. A wiring error or a bad transistor. I've done three of these so I know it works.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
I guess there's a third option. Bad DM8. A scope would be a big help.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
Quote:

PPM -> 4.62 -> Base
Base -> 21.5 -> ground
PPM-> ~26.5 -> emitter
Emitter should go to ground. What is the 26.5 ppm to ground? Should only be two resistors in the circuit.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:37 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,560 Posts
Quote:
Emitter should go to ground. What is the 26.5 ppm to ground? Should only be two resistors in the circuit.
That's correct. Emitter tied straight to ground. PPM -> emitter is through the 4.7k + 22k resisters.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
Quote:
That's correct. Emitter tied straight to ground. PPM -> emitter is through the 4.7k + 22k resisters.
ppm to base through 4.7k. Base to ground through 22k.