HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:43 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Not to a bastard or anything, but I can buy the 2 cables I want directly from this store in the US and the total cost posted is AU$34.78.

Why is buying from you so much more expensive? I thought that since you'd be ordering in bulk there would be a price saving?

Gree - I am not ordering bulk - as I don't know how many I will sell.

Basically for anything I order from the USA, there is about $50USD freight. - Unless I order 2 of them.

So lets have a look...

AV Cable is $16.99 (say $17US) or about $19 Australian!! So there is basically NO margin here for me at all. I am pretty much selling it for nothing.

The USB cable is $10.99USD (say $11US) or about $12.00. Now add the freight - a couple of bucks - Now my cost is about $15. So I make $5.00 on this one for my effort.

Do you think that is still unreasonable??

If I bought 300 of them, then sure, I could sell them cheaper.

But remember - In this instance I am paying what you would pay for them. No Wholesale on these as Tim has to make them, so still is his time to pay for.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
I didn't realise you were not ordering them in bulk, thought you were starting to stock them as a reseller.

My next question would be why put yourself through it for no margin to save a couple of guys ordering from the US? You must be a nice guy!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
I didn't realise you were not ordering them in bulk, thought you were starting to stock them as a reseller.

My next question would be why put yourself through it for no margin to save a couple of guys ordering from the US? You must be a nice guy!
Well - I wanted some - So I offered to buy a few extras this time around for anyone that wanted them.

If they prove popular, then I guess I could order a lot of them and stock them.

And yes - I am a nice guy I guess Just trying to save you guys some hassle.

If I wanted to make a good dollar on them, I would make them myself and sell them - but no time for that - I am struggling to keep up as it is!!!

Cheers
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:35 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
I'd rather pay a bit more to buy from Australia particularly for the more expensive things like FatSharks which I just got from The Mongrel, as they may get lost in the mail a bit easier if coming from overseas.

I have only lost a small amount on one item from buying overseas and Tim from ReadyMadeRC was great with assisting with replacements. I guess other overseas companies would not be so good.

Anyway I am looking for a 2.4 ghz Futaba 9C or 10C transmitter. A second hand one would be good but if I can not find one I guess it has to be new.

I see HobbyCity have TX & RX for $579.00 plus postage.

Just wondering if $620 from a local hobby shop is reasonable or too expensive for a 10C transmitter only. Does anyone know if $620 is all right and are there a number of models? I realise there will be heli ones and possibly 36mhz ones.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:40 AM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
So Ive had more than one Q'n about the avatar and thought a small side trip would be ok. There is some FPV in there all be it it doesn't seem reeL !
Gorillaz: Journey to Plastic Beach (15 min 47 sec)

I've lost my Noodle somewhere?

Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I'd rather pay a bit more to buy from Australia particularly for the more expensive things like FatSharks which I just got from The Mongrel, as they may get lost in the mail a bit easier if coming from overseas.

I have only lost a small amount on one item from buying overseas and Tim from ReadyMadeRC was great with assisting with replacements. I guess other overseas companies would not be so good.

Anyway I am looking for a 2.4 ghz Futaba 9C or 10C transmitter. A second hand one would be good but if I can not find one I guess it has to be new.

I see HobbyCity have TX & RX for $579.00 plus postage.

Just wondering if $620 from a local hobby shop is reasonable or too expensive for a 10C transmitter only. Does anyone know if $620 is all right and are there a number of models? I realise there will be heli ones and possibly 36mhz ones.
$620 is a bit much!!

I use a 10C and love it!!

We are Futaba dealers, but stock can be hard to come by - But I will try and find out for if you are keen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:53 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
$620 is a bit much!!

I use a 10C and love it!!

We are Futaba dealers, but stock can be hard to come by - But I will try and find out for if you are keen.
I do not know what I really want but apparently I need a 9C or 10C to do my FPV Easy* properly when I get to it. For my small planes I use a couple of HiTec Flash 5's (one model memory for each plane so I do not need to change settings) but it would be good to have small antennas. So the cheap Turnegy HK one would be good for small planes but that may be too cheap so looked on EBay for a DX6i and they go as much as new ones so might get a new DX6i for the small planes.

I got a second Futaba 6EX recently but might put it on EBay.

Sorry just raving on. If I could get a 10C quickly I might get one as I retire on Friday but my wife said I could keep buying after I retire. Sounds good to me.

So have not finally decided. I was the same when I was talking about the FatSharks on the forum. You probably thought just another one wasting your time but the next day I placed an order.

Thanks - I'll just leave it at present.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:59 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Hey Firepower, that 6EX, is it mode 1?. If you decide you want to sell it, pm me.

My brother is looking for a TX.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:06 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Col, need a hand deciding? gimmie a call.
I reckon you should find a 36mhz 10c/9c and piss off everything else, get the modules for whatever else you need.
36mhz synth TX modules are rather hard to find. (correct me if im wrong someone)
I paid around $700 for my 9c brand new with the c-tick (big whoop, wanna fight about it?!(sorry, thats off family guy )) but I got the 36mhz module and it rawks!
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:13 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Got any new, cool videos, Max?.

You going to do anymore live flight?.

Cheers, kev.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:19 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Col, need a hand deciding? gimmie a call.
I reckon you should find a 36mhz 10c/9c and piss off everything else, get the modules for whatever else you need.
36mhz synth TX modules are rather hard to find. (correct me if im wrong someone)
So can someone explain it for the dummies, what is the advantage of the 9c or 10C for FPV?
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:20 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Nah... got nothing really flying for fun, made a little sub 1kg flying wing UAV for autonomous mapping & me mate is just swapping motors in his queen bee after frying a turnigy, scorpion brushless arrived today to replace it

My motor is vibrating too much in the miniswift and the video sucks, need to pull the motor down and fix it... when I get keen hehe.

Might get a new 3G card soon, ive been without for like 6 months and only Telstra cuts it, theyre also the most expensive :|
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:23 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
So can someone explain it for the dummies, what is the advantage of the 9c or 10C for FPV?
Failsafe on all channels
Trainer port has power out, used to power lots of cool FPV extras
Powerful transmitter for mixing and programming - for its price
Ability to swap TX modules
Spektrum is cheap and nasty

Can anyone thing of any more ?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:32 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Love the retracts.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:15 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I do not know what I really want but apparently I need a 9C or 10C to do my FPV Easy* properly when I get to it. For my small planes I use a couple of HiTec Flash 5's (one model memory for each plane so I do not need to change settings) but it would be good to have small antennas. So the cheap Turnegy HK one would be good for small planes but that may be too cheap so looked on EBay for a DX6i and they go as much as new ones so might get a new DX6i for the small planes.

I got a second Futaba 6EX recently but might put it on EBay.

Sorry just raving on. If I could get a 10C quickly I might get one as I retire on Friday but my wife said I could keep buying after I retire. Sounds good to me.

So have not finally decided. I was the same when I was talking about the FatSharks on the forum. You probably thought just another one wasting your time but the next day I placed an order.

Thanks - I'll just leave it at present.
Hi mate,

I don't mind at all with answering a thousand questions. If you buy from me or not is not what I really care about. I just care about having a great time with my hobby and helping someone else have a good time with it.

I have been criticised in the past because Mongrel Gear is not my primary business, and apparently I am not a "True Hobby Store". Well that may be right to a degree. It is not my primary business. It is my Hobby that has evolved into a business that soon may well end up being my primary business.

I asked a thousand questions from people when I started, and if not for their help, I would not have had the start that I did. So I am just paying it forward.

So don't worry about asking questions and sending email - I will always answer them as best as I can.

Cheers
Mongrel.
RCG Plus Member