SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:51 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,926 Posts
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:20 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Hi Mr_B

It was not rambling on as I am interested in it all. I have been flying a couple of old large gliders I put motors on with no ailerons and they are as you say not really very responsive. So definitely ailerons now.

I just got the Fatsharks so they would be a new model but my monitor is also black & white. I have a 540 line Sony camera and a hobbycity one and they are both going black & white. It is all over the place with B&W on the monitor once but it recorded colour. Only once they were colour for most of the flight. I have not turned on my elogger, gps etc yet just using the pan/tilt to hold the patch and Omni. I'll get onto that EagleEyes Ground Station forum when I get time.

I have one 540 line Sony without sound in a heavy metal case for about $45. Sonys seem to be under coloured and the Killer camera seems over coloured. Any special place you get your cameras from?

When you get to it I would also be interested what you work out with the Comtech stuff.

Thanks for the good reply.

EDIT: I have not done enough testing to ensure exactly what is going on but I just looked at an old video with EagleEyes/Pan/Tilt BEFORE the Fatshark goggles and the video was perfect with colour. Maybe the Fatsharks are drawing out too much video signal (something like that). I'll check on the EagleEyes Ground Station forum.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 03, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 09:01 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,950 Posts
$$ on its way Via PP Thanks Vince.
PM sent.
Woo Hoo! Outta sight here I come.
Now I just gotta figure out how to get video back......
Wish Alex would finish th RV tracker.
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:54 PM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Hi Mr_B

It was not rambling on as I am interested in it all. I have been flying a couple of old large gliders I put motors on with no ailerons and they are as you say not really very responsive. So definitely ailerons now.

I just got the Fatsharks so they would be a new model but my monitor is also black & white. I have a 540 line Sony camera and a hobbycity one and they are both going black & white. It is all over the place with B&W on the monitor once but it recorded colour. Only once they were colour for most of the flight. I have not turned on my elogger, gps etc yet just using the pan/tilt to hold the patch and Omni. I'll get onto that EagleEyes Ground Station forum when I get time.

I have one 540 line Sony without sound in a heavy metal case for about $45. Sonys seem to be under coloured and the Killer camera seems over coloured. Any special place you get your cameras from?

When you get to it I would also be interested what you work out with the Comtech stuff.

Thanks for the good reply.

EDIT: I have not done enough testing to ensure exactly what is going on but I just looked at an old video with EagleEyes/Pan/Tilt BEFORE the Fatshark goggles and the video was perfect with colour. Maybe the Fatsharks are drawing out too much video signal (something like that). I'll check on the EagleEyes Ground Station forum.

Depending on the supplier they still could be the early fatsharks. The problem can be fixed as SPG did do the mod and fixed the colour for his EE's. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1315

I have also noticed that when the voltage is a little lower than usual on the fatsharks the problem is even more pronounced and can even get to the point that the video is changing that much it starts rolling the picture alot and it makes you think there is really bad reception which it isn't the case.

The CCD cameras are the best I have used so far and would recommend these in the 550Line type with a min 0.01 lux sensitivity. The contrast is rather lacking but the picture is great. The cmos type do saturate the colour more and give more vivid colour but the only drawback is that if you have the prop out fron the lines are horizontal and it just plain looks bad. I have bought heaps of cameras all from different suppliers and havent had any problems with any of them, just go for any suppliers from the US or China/HongKong as these don't have super high shipping costs which are added. Most of my early cams I have wern't suitable and are now connected to a DVR and hooked up with cat5 for security stuff now so they were not a total loss.

I have had 2 of the CCDkillers and my first one was just ok until a manufacturing fault reared it's ugly head and killed it. The new one is still saturated in the colour which is great and it now handles the light much better. There are 3 different versions of this camera too, so that's a little confusing as some of the suppliers just don't know which one they have.

I do like the picture in the sony but the camera is not really as aerodynamic as the ccdkiller so thats a consideration I had when installing these on the plane.

I would say that I can have the reciever info details in 2-3 weeks time.

Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:05 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
Depending on the supplier they still could be the early fatsharks. The problem can be fixed as SPG did do the mod and fixed the colour for his EE's. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1315

ETC ETC Text deleted

I would say that I can have the reciever info details in 2-3 weeks time.

Mr_B
8)
//
I just got the FatSharks from The Mongrel so should be the new model. They are RCV922 BASE Edition so should be the latest ones. I'll check the firmware version on the EagleEyes tonight. Thanks for the link to a solution.

I thought of using the old cameras on a security system, as I will be getting going my home automation stuff that my son got me. I just got a pan/tilt IP Camera about $100 that you can remote from any PC in the world - has a movement detector to take video and send photos by email on an alarm. You can also talk to the robber and tell them where to go.

Thanks for all the info including the info on the cameras.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 12:23 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
I'm trying to work out what I need in regard to transmitters.

I have two Futaba 6EX - one is mode 1 and the other mode 2. I was thinking of putting the mode 2 on EBay as they seem to fetch a reasonable price. They are both in perfect condition.

Alternatively I could swap it with a Spektrum DX6i or DX7. Bit extra for the DX7. I was just going to use the Spektrum for the small planes and some cheap receivers. I was going to buy the Turnigy TX & RX from hobbycity for under $100 including postage for the small planes but I guess no one here would be caught dead with one. Or I probably really probably need a Futaba 7C or 9C.

Anyone want a Futaba 6EX transmitter mode 2 for a swap or some other deal? (Can be changed to mode 1 but people keep saying why am I not using Mode 2?)

EDIT: Should I but the Turnigy TX & RX for small planes or forget it? Anyone know anything about these?
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 04, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:44 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Col, you shoulda just bit the bullet and gotten a Futaba 9/10C
Then you could use whatever you want... spek,fasst,36mhz,uhf...

Cheap 9C will set ya back around 250-350.
Spektrum modules are $99 with AR7000 RX brand new.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 04, 2010, 02:34 AM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Dragonlink group buy.

The group buy is officially closed.

Thanks to all those who participated.
I'll update you individually when I get more information regarding delivery time and postage costs.

Cheers,

SPG
SPG is offline Find More Posts by SPG
Old Aug 04, 2010, 02:35 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Col, you shoulda just bit the bullet and gotten a Futaba 9/10C
Then you could use whatever you want... spek,fasst,36mhz,uhf...

Cheap 9C will set ya back around 250-350.
Spektrum modules are $99 with AR7000 RX brand new.
I should just sell the spare 6EX on ebay and get a 9C. The price you are saying is that buying new locally or overseas or second hand.

So with the 9C you mention that would be 36mhz and then I need to buy say the Futaba FASST or Spektrum modules or UHF.

I have not known much about the 9C's.
Thanks

EDIT: So a 7C is no good?
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 04, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:42 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
For Sale:
KX171
AU$60.00 INCL P+H IN AU
Selling so I can get the $$ together for the LRS..
Bump
Now repriced for quick sale..
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:14 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,946 Posts
Hey Mr B, when do you think you might have another FPV day?
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:06 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
I should just sell the spare 6EX on ebay and get a 9C. The price you are saying is that buying new locally or overseas or second hand.

So with the 9C you mention that would be 36mhz and then I need to buy say the Futaba FASST or Spektrum modules or UHF.

I have not known much about the 9C's.
Thanks

EDIT: So a 7C is no good?
Col,
Not sure, I see them pop up all the time, check servocity.com for a new one, they sell em cheap without the modules.
You'll pay extra for the 36mhz module, well worth it I think. I got mine from North Coast Hobby in Lismore, great guys there!

Only thing I dont like with the 7c is that the failsafe only works for the throttle channel, I needed failsafe on any channel.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:37 AM
BRISVEGAS BABY
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
hey guys

just wanted to see if any fellow Aussies can help me out with this.... so i dont hijac the current topic here is the link to the discussion thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post15704463

Cheers guys
nathan089 is offline Find More Posts by nathan089
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:38 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Col,
Not sure, I see them pop up all the time, check servocity.com for a new one, they sell em cheap without the modules.
You'll pay extra for the 36mhz module, well worth it I think. I got mine from North Coast Hobby in Lismore, great guys there!

Only thing I dont like with the 7c is that the failsafe only works for the throttle channel, I needed failsafe on any channel.
Hi Max
Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can locate a 9C.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:55 PM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
I thought of using the old cameras on a security system, as I will be getting going my home automation stuff that my son got me. I just got a pan/tilt IP Camera about $100 that you can remote from any PC in the world.
I think thats what some people have mounted on their planes in Israel. Can't really use it for FPV but I guess if you got that on a big glider it's great for the zoom factor I guess.

And yeah you gotta get a 9C or better that takes the modules, You need at least 8 channel so you can do the pan tilt without any problem. I was using a Cessna with flaps and the extra channels sure come in handy for other stuff on the plane.

Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B