HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:37 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Sleeping in, in the morning.

Going by Craig's setup who needs all the rubbish I have with pan/tilt, two receivers and diversity.

I'll try again tomorrow with a better aerial.
Ill be there!
Should be a nice day
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:57 AM
Near Byron Bay Australia
Joined Jul 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
I am now a fan of the 'I hate Maggpies, and they MUST all be exterminated!' party. Vote cast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4l2pTjXIk
Amazing Pics Dude!
I have had birds attack before but mostly they just approach in a threating manner then back off...

Too bad if that maggie pecks an external video wire or antenna.
Pheonixflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pheonixflyer
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:01 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
That's my worry! There's one where it looks like he gets my GPS wire! I may need to protect that. An inspection of my plane tonight shows strange marks on my rudder, which was dislodged. I think it happened when I hit the tree... but am now thinking it got dislodged by the bird... as it's been yanked backwards... No idea how that could happen!
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:35 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,863 Posts
If you had a HT you could follow the bird around with the camera and chase him for a change
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Aug 02, 2010, 12:06 AM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Hi all

Well I finally got the time to get the video together, the one with the pic of the FW from the Radian. I have been a bit short on time but I thought you should know that I have had a rebuild on my computer at home and took quite a while to get it put together good enough to be able to put this vid together. And finally get one here to post some info about it.
The raw video from both My recorded video and from SPG is basically unwatchable. There is no way on earth I could have ever posted any of it I thought. There are dropped frames all through it. The thing that really slowed me down was that my recording had all the dropped frames replaced by purple and green frames which made it even harder to get a decent video stream from. Took ages getting them out.

I hope you guys liked what I eventually got from it as I wasn't expecting to be able to post anyof it at all.

So this is the main reason why the video is a bit jumpy all the way through. I think it turned out reasonable compared to what I had to start with.

The Radian was way too slow for filming this too. every time I got close and was slow enough the FW just tip stalled and turned over. Makes it a bit hard trying to keep track of where the Radian was.

The footage was supposed to be in HD from the radian that day too, but for some reason the files from the go pro were corrupt and full of garbage so there was none.

I don't think there will be any more vid done with the Radian as the next week when SPG was taking off for the first flight of the day it did a corkscrew straight back into the ground. SPG said there was just no control for some reason, seemed like the RX just turned off and then nothing for it but to watch it come back down nose first. Ouch, outa action for a while now with that bird as the RX pulled the antena off and hit the motor on impact

I also did exactly the same thing with my cessna and it's dead too, no way that's going to get airborne again. Fuse is totally crapped. However the replacement for the cessna is going to be an Icon A5 and I think SPG is replacing his with a Twinjet. These should be interesting I think.

Anyway just thought you might want to know why the FW & RAD vid isn't as good as it should have been.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...72676&page=532

Cheers

Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:19 AM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Nice vid! good to see the footage from the Fokker as well.
Yes, you need a decent quality Memory card for HD cameras. And to have it in movie mode instead of photo mode.
The Radian will fly again...one day. Other than the Fuse, I only lost those Rx antennas and a Lipo.
Have a replacement Fuse' already, so just need to rebuild it. The Twinjet is comming along. Might post some pics up soon.
Two counter rotating props sound good if nothing else.
SPG is offline Find More Posts by SPG
Old Aug 02, 2010, 06:44 PM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Aussie Dragonlink Group Buy.

I heard back from Mike from Dragonlink. And he has offered us a great deal.
He can sell us 4 complete systems and give us 4 the extra receivers for free!
He is currently running 3 weeks behind shipping so i'm guessing there will a 4 week wait before they land in Aus.

I'll PM those interested shortly to arrange paypal payments.
Any other interested people should let me know ASAP as I want to place the order as soon as possible.

Cheers,

SPG.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:16 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
Forgive me if this is a little OT, but I need local info on how you guys are building the easy star for fpv.

I've just got a HC 2200 inrunner that is a neat fit into the foam motor housing on this aircraft, but what are you using to secure it? CA as per the instructions seems like it would be too brittle, and some of the guys on the US forum are using goop for the job. What is recommended locally?

s.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:25 PM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Forgive me if this is a little OT, but I need local info on how you guys are building the easy star for fpv.

I've just got a HC 2200 inrunner that is a neat fit into the foam motor housing on this aircraft, but what are you using to secure it? CA as per the instructions seems like it would be too brittle, and some of the guys on the US forum are using goop for the job. What is recommended locally?

s.
I actually use white silicone sealant. I also put thin heatshrink over the motor first as well but that is optional.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:32 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
epoxy works too.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:15 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,106 Posts
Quote:

s.
Someone mentioned that heat shrink worked for them and easy to replace the motor. It is cheap from hobbycity.

I have not tried this yet.

EDIT: SPG just said this. Sounds good silicone and heat shrink.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 02, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:19 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
epoxy works too.
Why aren't you at work? Might be going to the property this Saturday. Like different fields? It may be windy on Saturday.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:31 PM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:

s.
On my easy I cut the end off the original motor mounted a 1500kv motor on it and then used epoxy to glue it in the original motor hole with the speedy inside the old motor which cools perfectly and short leads from speedy to motor which leaves alot of room elsewhere. I currently run a 7X4 prop on the 1500kv outrunner for the motor/prop combination. The motor I have is about 130W full throttle and about 30W to 35W cruising using a 7X4 prop, I did use an 8X4 prop but couldn't get the motor angle right as it usually caused the the plane to nose down too hard so that when you backed off it would pop the nose up really fast.

There is more detail in my blog but if you want more just ask away...

Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:43 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
Hmm, I don't think I have heatshrink in that size, I'll have to check. If not, I won't wait for another Hobby city order, I'll just silicone it in. Sounds like a good option. Thanks all!
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:55 PM
Melbourne Aust
Joined Oct 2003
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Any other interested people should let me know ASAP as I want to place the order as soon as possible.
PM'd you SPG, put me on the list for 1+1extra receiver (with futaba connector for 9c)
916Senna is offline Find More Posts by 916Senna