HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2010, 07:29 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Nice one Mongrel! i'll order one of the pan n tilt systems very soon mate .

Camera looks good also, are they 12v and/or 5v?.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:57 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,708 Posts
12V Kev.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:49 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Hey fellas, im using my brothers DX7 at the moment, how do i perform a range test?
i don't have the manual . and what would be a acceptable range?

Cheers, Kev.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:21 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,697 Posts
Here you go Kev, http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/DX7_Manual.pdf
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Hey fellas, im using my brothers DX7 at the moment, how do i perform a range test?
i don't have the manual . and what would be a acceptable range?

Cheers, Kev.
Push the button on the back of the TX and hold it. That will reduce the output power considerably!! you should be able to get 15m (I think) from the plane.

Remember NOT to point the TX antenna directly at the plane, as that is the weakest part of the signal.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
The ULTIMATE DX7 range test...........
Dont hit range button.
Instead, point the DX7 antenna DIRECTLY at your plane, have the TX sitting on a post/table, or something so it doesnt move.
Set your throttle to say 25% throttle. so now with the motor gently spinning (maybe take the prop off)

NOW start to walk away with your airplane !!, leaving the tx where it is, and keep walking away making sure to stay EXACTLY where the DX7 antenna is pointing.

TEST 1/
Have your body shield the plane from direct line of sight to the DX7, walk slowly until motor stops, try to keep the plane level and also pointed at the DX7 through your body.
When the motor STOPS or even sputters, that means you just hit the limit of range for that test. dont worry, you wont be walking far, you'll be surprissed how close this may be.

TEST 2/
When motor STOPS, keeping everything exactly as is, plane orientation, your body, etc, start walking back, untill the motor starts running again.
This gives you an idea how much BETER a signal the DX7 will need to re-establish the connection.

TEST 3/
Start walking back out again, this time, stand behind the plane, walk backwards, boby no longer sheilding the RC link, see how far you can get before the first motor hickcup !

TEST 4/
When you have gone far enough, with the plane directly pointed that the DX7 antenna directly pointed at the plane, and with the motor having gone into failsafe, start walking back untill the motor starts again.

Do all this with VIDEO on the plane TRASMITTING.

These test will tell you HEAPS, and possibly scare you enough to keep your fpv flying with a DX7 to park distances, lol.
I still fly DX7 fpv, but know the limit of what it can do worse case scenario, and stick to within those bounds.

In the past, i make no secret to having gone 3.5km fpv with a DX7 once (before loosing it)

But i have since learned exactly what the unit can and can NOT do reliably and repeatedly.

A once off fpv flight to 1km doesn't count, however doing 1000's of safe fpv flights within say 200~400mtrs does count.

Enjoy, be interested to hear how the tests went.
Keep in mind, the test are trying to simulate worse case scenarios, something that can and will happen when flying fpv.
You will fly behind yourself at some point, the plane will point towards you at some point, and your dx7 antenna will point at or away from the plane at some point.

cheers
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:29 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,708 Posts
Wobby I agree. Too many people base their experience on that one flight that they got out to 2kms. Like my one.

But I too have had a lockout at about 300mts.

I would base my flights on worse case scenario - as murphy's law states it will happen!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:30 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Excellent!! thanks fellas. ill report back with results by the end of the week.

Thanks again, Kev.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:14 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Wobby, interesting test, which RX's are you using with the DX7 in that test?

I should record the test I did with the fox and the AR7000... made it all the way to the end of the street, around the corner, down the next street - this is where I could see both the RX & the diversity module lights start flickering...

Way! out of LOS of the TX when it failed, I even put the fox on the grass behind a solid rock retaining wall of some dudes house and it was still ok.

I would LOVE to come and see your 8km flights on the PCM RX
Not doubting you (ive seen the video) but its not fair!! hehe
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:24 AM
Near Byron Bay Australia
Joined Jul 2008
131 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm going to rainbow serpent festival over the Australia day long weekend, anyone else planning on going? I'll be taking my quad and easy as the festival is in rural Victoria with plenty of room to fly.

On that note, what's the latest on organizing our little get together?
Pheonixflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pheonixflyer
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:51 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Near Vic? Thats ages for us isnt it ?? :P
I was thinking somewhere more local...
The lake would be ok... but there might be heaps of other people there and that sucks.

Does anyone know someone with like a... turf farm?
Maybe he is keen on rc planes? :P
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:55 AM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Just in case you guy's wondered why the FPV video's are few and far between from Perth

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp

I kid you not, it gets beyond a joke at times. In the last month I have been able to get out once for a fly, even then it was 12-15 Knots. Not that I'm afraid of the wind................. I just hate flying in it. If the wind isn't blowing it's 38+.............

Kev.au.....you must know were I'm at?

Just half a day near a weekend less than 15 knots.............................It's not much to ask.
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:50 AM
A few Models is not enough Hon
Australia, WA, Noranda
Joined Mar 2007
173 Posts
Tell Me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb_number View Post
Just in case you guy's wondered why the FPV video's are few and far between from Perth

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp

I kid you not, it gets beyond a joke at times. In the last month I have been able to get out once for a fly, even then it was 12-15 Knots. Not that I'm afraid of the wind................. I just hate flying in it. If the wind isn't blowing it's 38+.............

Kev.au.....you must know were I'm at?

Just half a day near a weekend less than 15 knots.............................It's not much to ask.
Tell me about it. Sunday is my only sure day that I can go flying. Last weekend was week 9 with crappy wind unless you are hardy enough to stand out in the sun in 40deg in the middle of the arvo
GadgetEric is offline Find More Posts by GadgetEric
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:19 AM
Near Byron Bay Australia
Joined Jul 2008
131 Posts
I wasn't suggesting we meet up in Victoria. Somewhere closer to south east QLD would suit me much better.
Heya chances, you seem to post heaps of video's from that spot at Cleavland, are you there most weekends? If you gave us GPS co-cords perhaps we could have a preliminary SE QLD meet there?
Pheonixflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pheonixflyer
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:26 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Nothing in Cleveland... just the odd flight here and there, the council here has banned powered rc flying at their parks lol...
We still go but not to the big parks because people always turn up and have a cry.

We need somewhere like 1/2 way between here and Byron.