HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jun 16, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:44 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
I flew with my new Range Video ground station antenna tracker today.
Its an amazing bit of kit.
Very impressed. It seamlessly kept the patch pointed at the plane for non stop high quality video. No more battling with drifting out of the antenna sweet spot, and fumbling with pointing the patch.
Top marks to Alex and the RV crew.
I was seriously thinking of getting this. So it's worth it, good results by the sound of it?
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:55 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,826 Posts
Hi Team,
Pete the Queen Bee has been done FPV before a few years ago, cant remember who though. I looked at one in the Pulteney St hobby shop, but they wanted an outrageous price so I passed.

I maidened the tracker with the trusty old orange Stepp Up, down at Ochre point and flew past the struggling hangies, down to Maslins Beach again.
When I got home I reviewed the DVD of the flight and was really pleased with the nonstop high quality recording. No hash, no dropouts, just 50 odd minutes of near DVD quality.
Setup of the RVGS is very straightforward and simple. You do need to have the RVOSD installed in your aircraft, for it to follow. It wont work with anyone else's OSD.
To set up, you just mechanically centre the P+T servos, then go through the setup procedure to set range of travel for up, down, Left, Right limits, travel speed, then save. Thats about it. Once that is programmed all you need to do when you fly is get the OSD to set home close to the tracker. Then place the plane about 20m straight in front of the tracker and set heading offset. Once it knows which way is directly in front it calculates direction and elevation from this. Each time you fly you will likely be facing a different direction, so heading offset needs to be set each time. Thats all.
Looking forward to Saturday. Might drag out the Bigass again, weather permitting.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:32 AM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,073 Posts
I flew about a km today which doesn't seem like much but it's a PB for me.

It's also more satisfying because I used a home made patch antenna which worked really well.

TS, it wasn't dead mans creek but another one that runs down to opposite deepwater motor boat club. I always wondered where that went.

Thanks for the fly this morning for those that made it out.
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
nice one mate! well done.. was it the OTE60?
watch ya height round there, the blue guys come out to play occasionally ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas View Post

It's also more satisfying because I used a home made patch antenna which worked really well.

TS, it wasn't dead mans creek but another one that runs down to opposite deepwater motor boat club. I always wondered where that went.

PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:11 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
I was seriously thinking of getting this. So it's worth it, good results by the sound of it?
Doesn't your ET stuff do this??
Peril is online now Find More Posts by Peril
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts

Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jun 16, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:17 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
i'm no techhead, but i was under the impression of what both you have stated
what threw me for a 6 was reading a few times a while back where some of the failures of these overclocked 500mw units was blamed on incorrect antennas fitted... short of a closed circuit or no antenna at all, the only other explanation i could think of was that being a unit overclocked to the brink of flaming, perhaps there may be something in the dbi rating... unless folks were using antennas from a totally different freq, if even that would make a distance

thanks guys!
i'm on a 5.8 antenna testing mission soon, after that i may well try the 5.8/500 on CL/SPW, see just what does and doesnt happen from there...
and yes, the antenna unscred like any other antenna
This issue is one of poorly made and off tune default antennas, rather than incorrect ones. This is particularly annoying when the antenna is fixed or glued so you don't have the option to fitter a better one.

The unit itself should be OK IF you change the antenna to a well tuned one. The manufacture offered to send out non glued versions to those that contact him. But honestly from past experiences in over the sea communication, do you think the Chinese will read and understand English? I can't understand why they just don't stop gluing them and fit a bold warning stating 'operation without antenna will break the unit'.

How long ago did you get your unit, perhaps they listened to the request not to glue them in after all?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly View Post
nice one mate! well done.. was it the OTE60?
watch ya height round there, the blue guys come out to play occasionally ;-)
Yep on the OTE60 and yeah I know about chopper south. I wouldn't have been over 200ft.
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:40 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,819 Posts
Who is going to try this :)

I hate being the first.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...site_ARF_.html
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:14 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,819 Posts
Mmm, how fast they catch on.

http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
those mobile towers scare me more.. Logic tells me their freq's shouldn't interfere.. But they still make me nervous! I've had some rip snorta flies with the ote now, I'm so glad I got it ;-)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Aussie pete, I've got a good contact for clear laminaate if u want it? Cheaper than OS prices, comes in different weights and I can highly recommend it! I covered my ote60 with it. Works a treat and easy to apply with iron.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas View Post

Nice! That open area your marker finishes at is the old east hills barracks, I lived there for a while then got kicked out for the kosovar refugees in the late 90's.

I'm going to have to get the SW out with the helical and try to beat it!

I do like that wing, but geez it was hairy watching it in close! Lol
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peril View Post
Mmm, how fast they catch on.

http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/
I reckon it's a little small. A bigger wingspan would have been better as it looks a bit twitchy, but would love to see it.
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member