Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:54 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
thanks,
sadly having already bought the eagletree stuff, this requires a different telemetry system

Not sure I follow. Our Antenna Tracker is for the Eagle Tree stuff!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:58 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
oh it does?

My understanding from looking at the products was it expected the EzOSD to be installed on the plane?
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:00 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
Quote:
oh it does?

My understanding from looking at the products was it expected the EzOSD to be installed on the plane?
Nope! The antenna tracker can use any telemetry system. You can whack the Eagle Eyes on it, and away it will go!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:00 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
I was looking at the EZ tracker from immersion when seeing eagletree wasn't compatible, not yours, that explains the confusion. thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:03 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
Ahhh!! I see said the blind man!!

I don't have stock anyway right now... but the order is going in this week. Along with Eagle Tree orders, more Go Pros, bits for copters, FlyCamOne2 gear and more.!! Can't keep up!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:36 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
I waded through the CASA regulations on model planes and there are a few gray areas perhaps someone cleared them up previously.

It is an offense to operate your plane over "populous areas" where they are defined as a "reasonable" risk that someone or some property could be damaged by your plane falling out of the sky. Fair enough. Or to generally fly it within 30 meters of someone not standing behind you. Etc.

It is against the rules to fly at night, without getting permission first. So all night fliers are breaking the rules the moment they take off, it seems.

It is against the rules to go above 400 agl in "controlled airspace", or in "populous areas". Class G to 18,000 feet is not controlled airspace unless you are unfortunately close to an airport. (In Sydney, controlled airspace is much more extensive, but there is over 1000 ft or more uncontrolled up the northern beaches).

It is also against the rules to fly your model into a cloud, or out of visual sight.

So I'm wondering, with regard to FPV: if you fly from the coast over the ocean, are you allowed to go higher than 400 agl because this is not "populous area", and it is also not "controlled airspace" ?

And secondly, if you can "see" your model with FPV, is it "in sight"?
is it "in sight" if you have LOS to it?
How about if you have binoculars around your neck?
Last edited by nyc863; Jun 22, 2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:53 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
Quote:
I waded through the CASA regulations on model planes and there are a few gray areas perhaps someone cleared them up previously.

It is an offense to operate your plane over "populous areas" where they are defined as a "reasonable" risk that someone or some property could be damaged by your plane falling out of the sky. Fair enough. Or to generally fly it within 30 meters of someone not standing behind you. Etc.

It is against the rules to fly at night, without getting permission first. So all night fliers are breaking the rules the moment they take off, it seems.

It is against the rules to go above 400 agl in "controlled airspace", or in "populous areas". Class G to 18,000 feet is not controlled airspace unless you are unfortunately close to an airport. (In Sydney, controlled airspace is much more extensive, but there is over 1000 ft or more uncontrolled up the northern beaches).

It is also against the rules to fly your model into a cloud, or out of visual sight.

So I'm wondering, with regard to FPV: if you fly from the coast over the ocean, are you allowed to go higher than 400 agl because this is not "populous area", and it is also not "controlled airspace" ?

Yep - All grey areas, and there never seems to be a solid response!!

Good luck getting the answers to these.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:

Hey mate, like it says, 400foot in controlled airspace, you can check out the local charts and see where the controlled airspace is.

Two of the local MAAA clubs here have clearance from CASA for 1000 & 2000 foot ceilings.

Now LOS... best idea is to get a large model hehe, my smallest plane is invisible at 300 meters yet its system could take it 2km easy...

So the way I see it is, if you want to fly at the park its a must to fly within the boundary, and use alot of common sense about it.

When you want to have some fun, go way out of town on some dogey old road, check your charts and treat it as professionally as you can.

It wont be long until it will be outlawed here anyway Not that anyone can really stop it...
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:43 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,932 Posts
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Just dont tempt fate.
Dont fly anywhere near populated/ residential areas/ public roads.
We are seperated on a thin line of "grey areas" of bordering on illegal practises in which long distance/ high powered fpv isn't "really" recognised even as recreation.
Any one of us, just one, tests those grey boundaries, and in a heart beat it will change from "grey area" to illegal activity with criminal offence.

After the last barrage of posts I had asked a very good friend of mine who is a high court barrister, that was his reply.

Perhaps the perpetrator might get away with it, excercising the unknown grey areas, but the result almost definately would be, illegal activity with criminal offence.

Either fly under the rules/ guidelines of CASA/ MAAA at r/c strips, or stay well away from populated/ residential areas/ public roads.

Please?
I agree here.

Do what ever it is you feel you want to do. But don't rely on "grey" areas to save your bacon. Be careful, and make up your own mind about what you do, and stay safe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:30 PM
Joined May 2010
2,932 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:32 PM
Joined May 2010
2,932 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:42 PM
Joined May 2010
2,932 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:20 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
Yep.. JUNE 27th that will be the day.

No probs there can be power if you guys like. No problems Jaskel, I will msg you with the info. Everyone else, you should have the address already.

Hey me_wantee is that ok, SUNDAY 27th JUNE, ok ?

It's a safe place to fly and some good scenery looking up the Grose Valley. Makes it interesting to look over the mountains which I haven't shown on any videos yet.

Mr_B
8)
//
Hey Mr B. Is Sunday still locked in? Is it OK to bring along a non-FPV RC friend? I was thinking of arriving around 7-730am Is that OK with you? Always good to miss the morning wind...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:28 AM
Joined May 2010
2,932 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:39 PM.