SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:31 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Can someone confirm is it just the last inch of the antennas that is active?
Yes, and the length will change the tuning.

There is a bit about this on the web, try googling FrSky Antenna Length.
Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:47 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
I'll pull it apart and check the antenna. Wouldnt hurt to check it anyway as the first frsky module I got had solder in one of the connectors and couldnt be connected to the rf pins.
Pulled the rx's apart, one of the antennae was loosely fitted though I was very impressed at the quality of the internals and the fact they use U.FL connectors.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,912 Posts
Quote:
I pulled apart the Frsky rx and module and checked over the connections. The rx antennas do pull off very easy so some hot glue went on them. Can someone confirm is it just the last inch of the antennas that is active? Originally my antennas were just dangling out of the fuse but now ive mounted one flat and the other vertical. Did a quick flight test and it certainly has improved radio reception. I still get a few beeps but by looking at the google maps distance calculator im getting good reception out to 1km now. I might try the frsky patch antenna.

Roger, im more interesting in getting an RTH system on the funjet first. Could also use some stabilization too - if only my RVOSD didnt go for a swim!!! And definitely up for some funjet formation but you better not lead me into video blackout with your fancy antenna tracking "go anywhere" setup....
My Funjet doesn't have RTH or tracking - I've been using a single patch and planning my flights to stay in the coverage zone. Just picked up a spare Eagle-Eyes, though, and will supplement my single fixed patch with another pointing 90deg away, so that I can greatly increase the zone that I can fly in (greater angles, not distance).

I'm planning to put in a couple of small gyros (GWS PG-03), one next to each servo, to give some stablisation (rate only). This should help provide stability on launch, and smooth out the flight video too.

Cheers

Roger.
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,247 Posts
Has anyone tried putting a different antenna on their RC Rx via their U.FL connector.

I grabbed one of these U.FL to SMA connectors from eBay the other day to do some experiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Pulled the rx's apart, one of the antennae was loosely fitted though I was very impressed at the quality of the internals and the fact they use U.FL connectors.
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
The second patch is a good idea. Ive got the omni whip as the second antenna but the reception is terrible so its pretty much useless. Theres a few of us in Melbourne now with fpv jets Roger, you up for a formation sometime down at police paddocks? Funjet, skyfun, & stryker.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
The second patch is a good idea. Ive got the omni whip as the second antenna but the reception is terrible so its pretty much useless. Theres a few of us in Melbourne now with fpv jets Roger, you up for a formation sometime down at police paddocks? Funjet, skyfun, & stryker.
r u saying you use 2 patches on a diversity system instead of 1 patch and 1 diploe?
i've often wondered weather that woudl work well. the thing that has always worried me was more close in coverage?
if this is what you are doing (2 patches on diversity), can you describe what your close in coverage is like?
cheers p
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
Havent done it myself but I think its a great idea as long as you dont fly too far behind yourself. With 2 patchs at 90 degrees you should get upto 270 degrees of excellent coverage, then some sketchy areas past that but then regain some reception further behind yourself. Im surprised how much reception you get directly behind a patch.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Havent done it myself but I think its a great idea as long as you dont fly too far behind yourself. With 2 patchs at 90 degrees you should get upto 270 degrees of excellent coverage, then some sketchy areas past that but then regain some reception further behind yourself. Im surprised how much reception you get directly behind a patch.
That is right in what you say but what about straight above you? Not good there.

I might try a SPW and a patch.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
that is right in what you say but what about straight above you? Not good there.

I might try a spw and a patch.
spw?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly View Post
spw?
Skewed planar wheel.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352583
smarm is offline Find More Posts by smarm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
yeah but patch will have to be circular as well. if its a linear patch it wont work..
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:57 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,350 Posts
Quote:
spw?
Clover Leaf and SPW are the only way to go. I made mine so they reckon they are not tuned and I will not get maximum range.

They seem all right to date.

Go down the page on the attachment and see Clover Leaf and SPW.
http://videoaerialsystems.com/produc...iver-antennas/

Clover Leaf for the plane and SPW for the receiver.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Clover Leaf and SPW are the only way to go. I made mine so they reckon they are not tuned and I will not get maximum range.

They seem all right to date.

Go down the page on the attachment and see Clover Leaf and SPW.
http://videoaerialsystems.com/produc...iver-antennas/

Clover Leaf for the plane and SPW for the receiver.
yeah cool, thanks
I've been thinking about clover for the last 5 months (didn't realise the other end was called the spw).. just need to pull my finger out and invest. only i am on 1.2g and not keen on the size of the antenna on the plane.. u running 5.8?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:21 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,350 Posts
Quote:
yeah cool, thanks
I've been thinking about clover for the last 5 months (didn't realise the other end was called the spw).. just need to pull my finger out and invest. only i am on 1.2g and not keen on the size of the antenna on the plane.. u running 5.8?
PM sent on the CL and SPW but try a SPW on the receiver and same antennas as your are using now in the plane and see if that works. You might be lucky. I guess the experts say you can not do it but tried it and it worked better.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
I'm running a SPW and a RHCP 5.8g patch on diversity and for the brief minutes it was all working it was crystal clear! I like the omni for above, behind and to my sides and the patch for directly out front with its 70 degree area. The patch I got from readymaderc and they are made especially for FPV.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman