HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:40 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
I'd get in contact with Jason himself before i'd believe Lisa (sorry Lisa)

Cheers, Kev.
So who is Jason - and if someone does, then get him on here to comment.

It would not be financially viable. Wages are too high, freight costs are too high, real estate is too hight, plus then they would have to wear import duties etc. Why would they bother!!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:52 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I guess if it happens, they don't exactly have to be central Sydney... plenty of land on this island for a warehouse with no customer facing needs. Send in one container a month.. doesn't need to be too close to massive infrastructure. Wages too high? I've seen a few shops here in Brisbane where I don't think the minimum wage has ever been heard of. Duties? I'd pay the extra few % to get my order a bit quicker (Although, it seems it's Aus Post that doubles the delivery time from Hong Kong though....)

They've done it in Germany - I think Aus would be a good choice. I heard you'd have the option where to order from, so if you want cheap, order from HK... if you want quick... Aus. I still think they will be way under local prices... And after this no-battery-posting scare.. I'm hoping it happens.. I nearly thought about changing to Nitro planes!

But, that's only if it happens...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,706 Posts
CRALIS - Germany is an option because it can cater for millions of customers spread across Europe. There are just over 20 million people in Australia. How many of those 20 million fly RC??

I might be wrong, but the numbers just don't add up. They would look at a few other things too.

Right now, any duty paid is paid for by the customer. (anything over $1000 in one order attracts Duty)

Any GST is paid by the customer. (any order over $1000 attracts GST as well as Duty)

All Freight is paid for by the customer.

Why would they wear all that on-cost for a market this small.

As I said, I might be wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:17 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
No matter what I order from HK the package says its $30 worth of "Toys" hehe

I reckon they get heaps of business from Australia hey
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:23 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
No matter what I order from HK the package says its $30 worth of "Toys" hehe

I reckon they get heaps of business from Australia hey
eheheh I know!!

Yep - they probably do. But you must remember that the margins they work on - there is not a great deal of profit in your average $100 order. Probably $30 profit. (even that is probably a stretch) That same order would have to sell for near $200 in order to get the same profit margins in Australia with all of the duties and higher wages they would have to cover.

I will believe it when I see it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:49 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
CRALIS - Germany is an option because it can cater for millions of customers spread across Europe.
True.. Wonder why they didn't select a cheaper country then, though... Spain, Portugal... My trips to Germany proved - not the cheapest country. My trips to Portugal ... A beer for a Euro! Lovely.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
True.. Wonder why they didn't select a cheaper country then, though... Spain, Portugal... My trips to Germany proved - not the cheapest country. My trips to Portugal ... A beer for a Euro! Lovely.
Dunno!! Maybe Germany has better provisions for enterprises such as Hobby King. The would certainly add to the local economy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:07 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Maybe theyre keepin their eyes on the multiplex factory...
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:21 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,847 Posts
I heard a rumour once that the guy that owns HK is an Aussie.
Anyone confirm or deny this???
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:28 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Bloody taking jobs overseas too the bastard!
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:49 AM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Hi Mr_B,

Are you still planning on holding an FPV day?

Yeah, I am but I was thinking of perhaps changing the day as in the middle of winter is too short for flying, so I was thinking for some time in summer when there is extra hours and daylight savings.

I am also looking at the soccer club next door also, they have flood lights that cover 6 food ball fields. I have nipped down there and flown twice when they have left the lights on when no one was home.

In any case what do you all think of summer for a get together?

Sorry a bit late getting back as I have been a busy with my car, I am giving it a respray at the moment (got sick of the car looking like a taxi) and I did get hit by a pantec truck on the rear quarter so it was made a priority.

I can still have it in a couple of weeks for a very small crowd, the building which was supposed to be finished is running late and causing problems.

Hey Mongrel, having some great flights now with the EE's which has doubled the area I can fly in.

I have had some bad luck with my recorder which has corrupted the internal system software and is basically a brick, I can't get any software for the rom from the manufacturer. It is a JXD990 and when it worked it was great, I have only got one flight recorded after the rebuild of my fokker with new camera which is awesome. Great flight too. I am hoping to have the car painted this weekend and I will do up a new movie from the footage I have.

Does anyone have a cheap camera with AVin for sale?

I have also purchased a new HD camera like the stick cams but with better res of 1280X960@30fps and this should be here shortly. I hope it's not too cheap and nasty it only cost $30 from ebay, it looks like it will be ok for the easy* but not the fokker as the lens angle isn't wide enough.

But in any case if a small group want to get together on the 19th send me a pm and I'll get the details to you for the location.

Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:54 AM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
I heard a rumour once that the guy that owns HK is an Aussie.
Anyone confirm or deny this???

He was an Aussie (all be it an asian Aussie), he had a nice Lawer letter and has since changed the name of his business. He own a shop near blacktown which is a great little hobby shop.

Pitty bigger business wouldn't give any compensation to the little guy who was trading in excess of 12 years with that name in Australia.

Mr_B
8)
//

BTW it's Melbourne that HobbyCity is being setup in.
FYI: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/hcpricingfiasco.shtml
Last edited by Mr_B; Jun 09, 2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 08:47 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,706 Posts
MR_B - Where is the info on Melbourne?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Hi Mongrel

Sorry I don't have any more on Melbourne as it was at least 6 months ago since HobbyCity in Blacktown changed it's name. I haven't been there for a while now since I haven't needed anything from there. The owner said that it would be at least until the end of this year before they will be up and running as the name change from his business and letters with the HobbyCity lawyers say that this was when they were going to start the business from Melbourne. The last bit that he told me was that because of the financial problems this may be delayed. Sorry I can't help out much more than that.

Mr_B
8)
//
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:31 AM
FPV Plane & RC Motorcycle Dude
Port Elliot, South Australia
Joined Nov 2009
239 Posts
The warehouse is in Sydney and already leased/purchased etc etc.
Ian Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ian Williams