Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:18 PM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Out of interest, has anyone ever been caught/fined/imprisoned/had their gear taken away for not being legal? In Australia? In the world?
It seems to me that the chances of that are low, and although it may be interesting to speculate on, should not be the greatest concern.

The biggest risk is that there is some kind of incident (near miss, property damage, injury or death) and the fact that the operator is acting unlawfully may invalidate insurance or increase the prospect of being held accountable for the incident and its consequences.

Simon
SSM is online now Find More Posts by SSM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:29 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Simon.
There was a case (In Australia, I believe) where some nut head flew a RC plane with camera (FPV, I gotta assume) pretty close to a Virgin Blue (??) plane on final. I think it was on YouTube, and landed up on the news. I'm wondering if that twit is a user of RCGroups. But I think that's the exact thing that you mention that could get the authorities cracking down on us a bit more.

More worrying, at the moment, I guess, is that news about HK Post not wanting to post lipos...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 02, 2010, 08:13 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,787 Posts
CRALIS - the guy gin Perth used a FlyCamOne2. He actually got in some serious crap I think.

But I think the above post is right. Getting caught is not the issue - hurting someone or something is.

A bit like driving an unregistered car.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:55 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
For those who have not seen it:

EDIT: PHOTO DELETED:

Guess it does not matter about putting this up here as it has been widely advertised. You can see thee other ones on it on youtube.

Stupid bugger!!!
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jun 04, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:49 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
As far as HK post not shipping lipos through airmail, I heard a rumour Hobby King may do a deal with UPS who fly their own planes, so can decide what they carry.
Whatever happens I imagine the prices will go up.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Last edited by ommadawn; Jun 04, 2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:03 PM
Crash land!
Geelong Vic, Australia
Joined Sep 2009
635 Posts
You are right, UPS shipping costs are rediculous...
Joffa_Dan is offline Find More Posts by Joffa_Dan
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:18 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
656 Posts
This kind of alledged rumour about HK Lithium batteries (and perfume) shipping by air is the dream of every Local hobby Shop and the middle men who creamed off huge dollars with various scams and re-badging of HobbyKing batteries anyway. FYI - I have received a a bunch in the last couple of days - no problems - 40c LiOs at low low prices. So my guess is that this is a big smokescreen from greedy LHS wanting to rip RC Pilot off. If you read the actual statement on the HK Post website its a general statement to indemnify themselves (relates to Carriage of Dangerous goods) and includes all lithium batteries and perfumes - That's been the published international policy for 30 years - Check any Dangerous Goods by Air manual - If implemented (read - never) that would effectively shut down the Hong Kong economy as almost every iPod, Laptop, camera, CellPhone and IT item on the market today uses Lithium batteries and millions ship out of HK everyday. Calm down boys... PsyOps - China is out to make money... not shoot themselves in the foot.
AlouetteIII is online now Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Guess it does not matter about putting this up here as it has been widely advertised. !!!

OMG, thats incredible, never seen any of this before !
Good find.

oh boy,
that is the worst case of irresponsible fpv ive ever seen, only going to be a matter of time now before we have our little FPV flying fun shut down !

Hang on a sec, that wasn't flown FPV.
Who cares, flycam , FPV, all the same thing right ?

It's posted here in our OZ fpv forum, so it MUST be related to what we do.

This is so NOT relevant to what we do.
The point of posting this is ?

Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Jun 04, 2010, 04:13 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
OMG, thats incredible, never seen any of this before !
Good find.

oh boy,
that is the worst case of irresponsible fpv ive ever seen, only going to be a matter of time now before we have our little FPV flying fun shut down !

Hang on a sec, that wasn't flown FPV.
Who cares, flycam , FPV, all the same thing right ?

It's posted here in our OZ fpv forum, so it MUST be related to what we do.

This is so NOT relevant to what we do.
The point of posting this is ?

I am usually careful on what I post but in this case it was mentioned by others so I included it. I could have put up all the links to it which is all over youtube for anyone to see and I'm sure all the regulatory bodies have seen it. I did not show all the links up but just mentioned you can see the others for your self.

So if you feel like that, I have taken it down. Sorry to upset anyone.
Last edited by Firepower; Jun 04, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 01:31 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Ouch!
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:06 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Ouch!
I am getting there with the FPV stuff. I'm basically only trying to record a good picture so far. So today I went to do that and had to walk to the car quite a few times so will have to check out the posts on ground stations.

On bloke there today had a Black & Decker tool box on wheels with an extendable pole that also folded up. He made all professional looking elbows on the fold up part which would cost I guess about a $1,000 to get made. It is a really good job with a nice set-out in the tool box.

I only have the eagleyes working with diversity so far but need to work on the plane and the omni antennas.

So I suppose everyone has a different setup?
Last edited by Firepower; Jun 05, 2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:05 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Its a never ending thing. I used to work on one plane at a time and have the next project on the drawing board, but I now have 3 functional FPV planes, plus one repair job and another on the back burner.
My GS has gone through several evolutions as more kit was included.
I had a tripod with oracle and 2 patches at 120degrees. Nice and simple.
Now its a small briefcase with 2 patches screwed to the lid at about 110degrees, with a splitter, 4 a/v out rca sockets, 10" lcd screen, recorder, watts up meter, 5V reg, 5A circuit breaker, 5500mAh lipo.
As slope flying is mostly in front and to the side, the dual patch setup suits me fine. I wouldnt mind a tracker with a nice high gain Yagi some day if it would give a better picture, but cant really come at all that extra gps complexity.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:11 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
I almost bought the big tool box on wheels a couple of times but after thinking about it tonight, I do not really need one as you have found. I need a tool box so there is a place for everything. I forgot the remote for the recorder today and it will not work without the remote.

Main reason for me is that my new recorder is small and I have EagleEyes diversity on the pan/tilt so there is not too much to go in the toolbox. The bloke with the large tool box has the larger items with a large recorder and the quite large Oracle etc.

Sounds like a good idea with the two patches which not too many people do.

Guess I might get a reasonable size plastic tool box tomorrow and start mounting stuff in it.

You mentioned some things I can do. I cut the leads off a cheap multimeter and connected it in circuit. Much better I'll use the WattsUp meter as you said. I'll have to check out the circuit breakers.

Guess I'll have fun in the morning when I am getting a bad signal through EagleEyes I'll plug in the receivers individually and check out the picture many times. I suspect there will be problems.

Thanks
Old Jun 05, 2010, 07:24 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
C/B is a must! Remember you can draw huge amps from a lipo. Its also more convenient to be able to switch on/off rather than disconnecting all the time. My watts up is in cct before the c/b so it keeps track of the lipo until its disconnected for recharge. It doesnt draw any noticeable current so can be left on when not in use.
Cheers
Frank
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:47 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
Thanks for that.

Today was really the first day with the EagleEyes and Pan/Tilt with the new recorder. To my surprise the diversity and camera was perfect and there may be very few small glitches (I have not checked out the whole video yet) and that is without the pan/tilt working.

Great to see the diversity of the EagleEyes, receivers etc worked first time. But that part is probably a bit basic.

I searched all over all the local suburbs this morning for a tool box. I changed my mind again and though one with wheels would be good. I guess it is different for everyone in regard to how far you have to walk to fly etc and realised I need to put the plane TX in the box. I could not find the B&D one and the Stanley is not too good as you have to physically remove the lid instead of being hinged. In the end Stratco had a good one which is a bit smaller. They have many tool boxes and the wheeled one for $29 is no good as the catches fall apart. The $39 which is the same size, is good.

Sorry to bore you but I am getting there.

Thanks