HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Apr 2004
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Fang,

The esc is pretty much a charred corps, the osd is like a rusty old car and the servos are all full of saltwater so its all been binned already.

Todays curse phrase was "i'll show you its roll rate" LMAO, just ask Narcas!

I rolled it over upside down and for some reason it wasnt rolling as well as it did the first few flights i had and as it went inverted it nose dived, i tried my best to correct but lost orientation and next thing i know there is a splash of water a good 1.5m high then it popped back up (yes, it hit that hard the whole thing went under) like a soccer ball being held underwater.

The plane itself is fine, and i can confirm that the reciever and motor are working just as they were, i have given them a good soak in contact cleaner just to make sure!!
Yea, I did the surf number...the only thing that survived was the gopro & the battery....I flushed out everything else, BUT, whithin a couple of days all soldered surfaces had a peculiar lead like sheen on them....the motor went for a couple of runs later, but then the bearings failed..basically, you should chuck the lot...peace of mind, & a lesson learned.
muduck is offline Find More Posts by muduck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:49 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,900 Posts
Im gonna keep the rx, its quite open so i should see any corrosion starting in if it does. The motor, yeah, i'll see how that goes in a few days if its binding or making any grinding noises, i'll bin it.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,900 Posts
Here are a few screen shots from my 720p HD HK camera. The vids are ok but nothing worth posting. Just some close calls while i was harrassing a few other planes!

A shot of the group on the hill

One of the beautiful angles we were privy to fly at

Narcas' wing

And two close calls with box' Skywalker

Cheers,

Alan.

P.s, what a great couple of dudes to fly with, hopefully we'll fly again soon!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:27 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Definately a Great Morning for flying over the Sun Drenched coast. What a place Narcas flys at and calls home. Absolutely Gorgeous. It was tragedy when Team Sherman hit the water with his Skywalker. It hit hard and didn't break up. Tough little Bugger the SW. With Alan running along the beach to retrieve the Bird the young fella who retrieved it in the surf just brought it back to shore and put it up on the Beach for him. It was great to see the nice side of human nature. There are some places around where the kid would just take off with it in the opposite direction. Thumbs up to young fella. Narcas showed his expertise with flying his tricopter and wing enthalling passes-by. Long range Pete did what he luvs doing, flying along the water line long range. Looking forward to the video Pete. Mine has a fair bit of jello in it. Another fix coming up. Yep, a great morning spent in a great Place with Great people. Doesn't get any better than that I reckon.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:18 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Finally edited the video from my Bixler FPV flight at the Sunshine Coast a few weeks back.

http://vimeo.com/35358172
Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:25 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvV FANG Vvv View Post
I will try and snap a few pics of the easyglider today .... thing is a tad ugly with all the gear hanging off of it .... but it cant really be helped.

I learnt a lot building it, and theres a few things i might change when i get another fuse ... like maybe embed the receiver up the back end....
But it balances well without any extra lead anywhere and since the big packs sit under the wing it dosent matter what pack size is used. I started out with the 2200 3s, but am now flying more with the 5000mah 3s and it handles the weight well. I now have a 3000 and 4000 pack so i will basically just put in whatever pack the misson needs. The motor is good for 550w but i only have a 12x6 cularis prop on it (should be 13x8) and its only making around 300w .... but it seems efficent and powerful enough. I can drop in a 4cell pack and get the 500w+ but havent tried that yet .... id imagine it would near climb vertical with that!

Oh yeah i put my phone number on all my planes now ... its part of the deal i reckon.
I put my number on each wing near the root and also on the canopy area.
Great thanks. I'll look forward to the pics.

Teamsherman! - oh noooooooooo!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
I love this guy - all flown LOS, no FPV at all. I love seeing where he'll turn up next!

Best of Crazy Horst (7 min 49 sec)
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:58 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Awesome... Gree, I loved that video... he must have some crashes though! lol
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:59 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Quote:
The esc is pretty much a charred corps, the osd is like a rusty old car and the servos are all full of saltwater so its all been binned already.

Todays curse phrase was "i'll show you its roll rate" LMAO, just ask Narcas!

I rolled it over upside down and for some reason it wasnt rolling as well as it did the first few flights i had and as it went inverted it nose dived, i tried my best to correct but lost orientation and next thing i know there is a splash of water a good 1.5m high then it popped back up (yes, it hit that hard the whole thing went under) like a soccer ball being held underwater.

The plane itself is fine, and i can confirm that the reciever and motor are working just as they were, i have given them a good soak in contact cleaner just to make sure!!
I'll ask what everyone is thinking, 'did ya get any video of the splash'
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:01 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peril View Post
Finally edited the video from my Bixler FPV flight at the Sunshine Coast a few weeks back.

Cheers Peril, was a good day. I had hoped to see more footage of the thermal with the pelicans, looked awesome from the ground. 808 has a pretty poor FOV though

I uploaded a quick vid from that day. It features a nimble Peril (and friend) leaping out of the way of my dead stick Bixler. Bad flying Gimmer, bad!

Bad deadstick (0 min 16 sec)
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Last edited by Gimmer; Jan 20, 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:22 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Yeah, the 808 missed a fair bit, the view I had in the goggles from the seawolf was much more impressive but they seemed ever so camera shy regardless
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:46 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,900 Posts
No video unfortunately Peril, although it would have just been one more thing id have to write off!!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:47 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,965 Posts
Quote:
Skywalker ended up in the ocean today.
Fried everything but the batteries, rangelink rx and motor.
Fuselage and wings are all in tact, they stayed together well!!!
I said to Narcas "hey, watch the awesome roll rate" It then turned upside down really slowly, buy the time it was half way round i was very close to the water, i tried to pull up to come out of the loop but the wings flexed back so i loosened off my grip on the elevator and it was all too late.
It went nose in at full throttle about 10m from shore. A friendly surfer pulled it out for me pretty quickly.
The ESC, Vtx, and OSD are fried, i think i have saved both batteries, the rangelink rx and the motor. I flushed the rx and motor with fresh water and they have come up good.
Just spent about $350 on more video gear and camera so i dont spend the last week of my holidays flying LOS.
Oh well, you get that.
dude, that's a real bummer...
note to self- avoid salt water fly-overs...
some time ago i had an rc boat go under, technician mate of mine did a bunch of fancy soaking and stuff, but warned me not to trust the electronics... it was only a boat, but a few weeks later it started doing eratic things
please be cautious trusting the salvaged gear

a bit of an eye opener that a skywalker can withstand a smack that hard into water... and live to fly another day!

kudos to the chap who rescued your downed bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peril View Post
nice editing there mate!
and classic tunes to boot!!

thanks for joining us Peril, t'was a good day's flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
I love this guy - all flown LOS, no FPV at all. I love seeing where he'll turn up next!
http://vimeo.com/34504476
this guy is awe inspiring... all LOS is fantastic rc piloting... imagine what he'd be capable of with goggs on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
Cheers Peril, was a good day. I had hoped to see more footage of the thermal with the pelicans, looked awesome from the ground. 808 has a pretty poor FOV though

I uploaded a quick vid from that day. It features a nimble Peril (and friend) leaping out of the way of my dead stick Bixler. Bad flying Gimmer, bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5vU3thbAMg
way to go Gimmer!!
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:55 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Last edited by AP_OZ; Jan 28, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:00 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Last edited by AP_OZ; Jan 28, 2012 at 05:57 PM.