Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
point taken, gt35r

regardless, it isnt going to stop me anyway, purely on principle

Use decent equipment, additional safety precautions, don't fly in no-go zones... the obvious

my flights are planned for areas where the only injury/ damage are myself/ my plane

and regardless, i am peeved
Here here!!! I fortunately fly on a rather large piece of private property - so I am one of the lucky ones - But still gives me the irrates!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2010, 07:08 AM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
That's the problem. There is no clear definition. The 101 states that the plane must be kept in line of sight. So that would rule out long range FPV for sure.

So is flying FPV in close OK as long as it is in line of sight - This is what I have asked clarification on.

AND THEN - if the plane is kept in line of sight - does the pilot have to be able to see it - because if the answer is YES - we are screwed.

Too many grey areas, and I reckon something should be done to get it cleared up. With technology flying like it is, they are going to have to change the regs to move with the times. It just needs a group to help push it.
Lots of grey areas are a good thing. If you force them to legislate the details one thing is sure, it will not become more open. For instance- line of sight FPV is legal. If you insist on a ruling as to whether goggles are legal you risk ending up with a rule which further restricts. At best they will tell you it is ok, which you would assume anyway. So whats the objective?
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
Old May 31, 2010, 07:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo21 View Post
For instance- line of sight FPV is legal.
Is it??
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 07:18 AM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Is it??
http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/mop/poli...icy%20FPVs.pdf
The MAAA MOP's would have to be legal under the CASA Regs. So Yes.
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
Old May 31, 2010, 07:18 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,338 Posts
All good discussion.

I just received this today and it seems very good. It is a High Definition one and does not stop recording with a bad signal but will go into Pause mode if the signal is too bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I just bought it to record and play movies. What's FPV?
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old May 31, 2010, 07:19 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts
Quote:
That's the problem. There is no clear definition. The 101 states that the plane must be kept in line of sight. So that would rule out long range FPV for sure.

So is flying FPV in close OK as long as it is in line of sight - This is what I have asked clarification on.

AND THEN - if the plane is kept in line of sight - does the pilot have to be able to see it - because if the answer is YES - we are screwed.

Too many grey areas, and I reckon something should be done to get it cleared up. With technology flying like it is, they are going to have to change the regs to move with the times. It just needs a group to help push it.
And thats where I fear pushing the agenda will more likely result in a definate clause being added, but do you really like our chances on a favourable inclusion given how much easier it is for them to just say no?

Up until recently I used to get all hot and bothered about all the regulations we have to live under, but then I realised that they are only put there because of the problems that people create.
It might not always be the smartest response by 'those in charge' to just legislate things away, but with that mentality I came to see that no one is interested in policing the little things that aren't causing problems either.
I mean it cost money to impound cars doing burnouts, and to create the new legislation, and the advertising etc. But it happened because enough people thought something had to be done.

I believe that CASA is just there to keep the airways safe and clear and couldn't really give a toss about how someone flys a small model plane to get their kicks. But the minute someone takes out an airliner though, I don't think FPV will be the issue I dare say RC flight itself will be history.
gt35r is offline Find More Posts by gt35r
Old May 31, 2010, 07:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Well bugger me!! I will admit - I had never seen that document!! Thanks chief!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 07:30 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,338 Posts
Quote:
So are not all the answers in this document?

EDIT: And any representations to government bodies should go through MAAA and if anyone needs to know more contact MAAA.

Double EDIT: Or we will get done like a dinner!
Last edited by Firepower; May 31, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:35 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
So who has more pull, The MAAA or CASA?

Does the MAAA's rules only cover you if you are flying at a registered field as a paid member?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 07:35 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts
Oops, yes I forgot to mention the MAAA. One of the executives is a commitee member of my local club. Pretty crappy little website though, I think thats why I turned to the CASA docs for more detailed info. (and I wanted to see the 'maintain visual contact' regs which I believe are debatable)
Old May 31, 2010, 07:37 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts
Quote:
Err, that would be CASA. Hahahaha
Old May 31, 2010, 07:42 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,338 Posts
Quote:

Does the MAAA's rules only cover you if you are flying at a registered field as a paid member?
As you know CASA is the government body that makes the rules and MAAA are only a model aeroplane flying club which I used to be in.

However, before anything that goes from MAAA to CASA it would be well and truly debated for a long time before it happens.

Probably going with one off asking questions will be like some said will draw the crabs. Going by the MAAA document this sort of flying is quite limiting now.

EDIT: MAAA rules are for their designated flying areas only but by reading them you can understand what is required.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:01 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Lots of grey areas are a good thing. If you force them to legislate the details one thing is sure, it will not become more open. For instance- line of sight FPV is legal. If you insist on a ruling as to whether goggles are legal you risk ending up with a rule which further restricts. At best they will tell you it is ok, which you would assume anyway. So whats the objective?
I agree.
Bilox is online now Find More Posts by Bilox
Old May 31, 2010, 11:04 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,338 Posts
Looks like HK have new camera stuff. $17 plus postage for a Sony 420 lines.

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH..._Video_Camera_

These are cheap enough. I wounder if these give white trees?
Old May 31, 2010, 05:31 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,991 Posts
need experienced 5km+ fpver to test new rc Tx/Rx booster being released

AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:43 PM.