HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2010, 03:39 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
But surely the thing is about the purpose of the plane... we are still flying FPV as recreation aren't we? The UAV classification seems to be if the plane is for other purposes...

Bugger eh?
I will go back and ask for clarification on the FPV statement.

Stay Tuned.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2010, 03:53 AM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Oh well, time to sell up.

I'm going to use the money I get to buy lots of drugs (I can get them easy in my street), a whole lot of beer (thats legal), get really off my face and then go spend the night doing burnouts.

This country is run by fing idiots!
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number
Old May 31, 2010, 04:02 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb_number View Post
Oh well, time to sell up.

I'm going to use the money I get to buy lots of drugs (I can get them easy in my street), a whole lot of beer (thats legal), get really off my face and then go spend the night doing burnouts.

This country is run by fing idiots!
And while you are there, grab a packet of smokes, because they will be a collectors items shortly!!

And yes - I second your last bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 04:13 AM
Joined Sep 2003
16 Posts
It certainly puts the argument about whether 900mhz or 1.2ghz is illegal or not into perspective - that gets people really worried, as if the feds are going to arrest you for operating on an 'illegal frequency'. Now that we are all going to prison - might as well have fun FPVing before we go! F**k off fun police!
OhhYeah is offline Find More Posts by OhhYeah
Old May 31, 2010, 04:26 AM
Australia 3568
Joined Jun 2009
66 Posts
Q) What countries have more relaxed UAV regulations?

A) Australia and New Zealand are famously progressive in their UAV policies. Other countries, such as Mexico, have been know to be relatively friendly, too.
Post From DIY Drones

They need to update the page to.
One person in an office in Australia needs to cover his bottom and say it is not allowed anymore.

Brett

Ps I think this person will get a Xmas bonus for his 'COVER OUR BOTTOM POLICY'
peecee is offline Find More Posts by peecee
Old May 31, 2010, 04:39 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,820 Posts
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:51 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,654 Posts
I wonder how much push we need to actually get something in place for us to operate legally.

Talk about overgoverned!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 04:59 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts
Mongrel, I didn't read that as saying FPV is illegal. Only that they classify non-recreational use of model aircraft as UAV's.

But if you persist in seeking clarification from them then they probably will have the legislation ammended to include FPV and then we will be stuffed.

Sometimes I believe its better not to ask too many questions or you might end up getting the answer you don't want to hear.
gt35r is offline Find More Posts by gt35r
Old May 31, 2010, 05:03 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts
Anyway, I think its inevitable as FPV grows in popularity because the lowest common denominator will drop accordingly and there will be some form of incident that prompts a change.

As it stands now though, under 100gm CASA is not interested which is why I tried (unsuccessfully) to build my mini-swift FPV using Meliks gear.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:23 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt35r View Post
Mongrel, I didn't read that as saying FPV is illegal. Only that they classify non-recreational use of model aircraft as UAV's.

But if you persist in seeking clarification from them then they probably will have the legislation ammended to include FPV and then we will be stuffed.

Sometimes I believe its better not to ask too many questions or you might end up getting the answer you don't want to hear.

you didn't see this bit????

FPV operations are not currently permitted

I have asked him to clarify.

I read SO many posts on here about SHHH don't ask!! OR SHHHH Don't tell them. Do you not read the road rules handbook to know how to drive.

The "I'm sorry your Honour, I didn't know it was illegal to do 100 in a 60 zone" defence will not save if you hurt someone.

Hence why I want to know the law, so that my backside is covered, and the so are the guys I fly with.

If FPV is illegal in a public park, then we need to do something about it to gt it legal. Not sit here pretend the rules don't exist with the "it will never happen to me" attitude.

If we are going to get change, then we need as many people possible to make them change the laws. Hiding from them won't help.

Just my 0.2
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 05:31 AM
Joined May 2010
2,820 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:34 AM
Joined May 2010
2,820 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 05:47 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts
Yes but they're talking UAV, not recreational model plane.
They haven't had to previously specifically include a provision for FPV so it is not a case of pleading ignorance, just applying it to the best fit (recreation).

As for parks I know I cannot fly in my shire anywhere but ONE location (because I asked). So I read the CASA regs to see what their laws are and I noticed the 100gm rule. So under that I could (from CASA's view) fly anywhere, or FPV to the moon if it were possible and thats the way I tried to go, but the tiny stuff sh$ts me to tears so I gave up for now.

As it stands now, I don't believe there is a distinction for FPV. I could always be wrong of course, but I have read CASA's regs several times in an attempt to get my head around the legalities of RC flying in general, and I did not see anything that prohibits it.

As for the confusing response you received I would say that just as an email wouldn't exempt you from the laws, so too it couldn't condemn you.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:52 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,654 Posts
That's the problem. There is no clear definition. The 101 states that the plane must be kept in line of sight. So that would rule out long range FPV for sure.

So is flying FPV in close OK as long as it is in line of sight - This is what I have asked clarification on.

AND THEN - if the plane is kept in line of sight - does the pilot have to be able to see it - because if the answer is YES - we are screwed.

Too many grey areas, and I reckon something should be done to get it cleared up. With technology flying like it is, they are going to have to change the regs to move with the times. It just needs a group to help push it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 05:57 AM
Joined May 2010
2,820 Posts
RCG Plus Member