HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2010, 03:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
For those who like petrol engines you might like this of someones first flight.

http://vimeo.com/12139334
Petrol Engine !
What petrol engine ?

All i see is a crappy nitro motor spewing oil and making an annoying noise..
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2010, 05:57 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,000 Posts
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:59 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,000 Posts
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:03 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,930 Posts
The Pod came on Wednesday so I stick it together and added 65mg's

I got stuck into the wiring this weekend. After a short on the first attempt leaving the plugs from the video Tx on, I cut them off and hard wired everything. Seperate ground for Tx and Cam and twisted all the wires.
Stuck a heat sink on the Tx and secured everything with tie wraps. (cos this easy* is gonna do aeros)

Tested it out a while ago. Was very happy to get a great picture with hardly any interference from the quick test we did.
I stayed in the shed and Pete ran down the street. Weird looking through the goggles for the first time. Def. gonna maiden while sitting down.

Just waiting on the speedy from HC now. It shipped on Wednesday so it should be here tomorrow. Theres a couple of hours left in the plane and it should be good to go for the weekend. We are almost in the club
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old May 30, 2010, 08:42 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
loved it! thanks mate, ya answered a few unanswered questions of vibrations etc

reckon i'll mount the engine to the bulkhead on rubber, and mount the P&T camera gear on some kinda foam, i'd say, hopefully, this will reduce vibration considerably

areldited my alpha back together, but was blowing it's nuts orf here, so no flight today
Thought that might interest you.

I found something else. He is doing it on a helicopter but can be used on a plane. Not sure if he said it only works for 15 minutes. No good if that is the case.

Hey guys,

what a day. Actually the whole story starts yesterday. I've been out for a beer with some friends who happen to be base jumpers. Showed them my heli videos, and they were totally stoked about it. So we decided to get up at 6 in the morning, and go to their home-rockface, a 600m high mountain called the "dragons face" that goes straight down, perfect for base jumping. I prepared everything on the ground, and flew up for a first range test. Everything worked well, some static with the heli facing left, but perfect image in all other directions, no problems at all with rc, it all looked fine. Did a dive past them, and a second one, and then went down for landing. And then it all went wrong, but let the video speak:

FPV Four - crash, search, find (4 min 53 sec)

Damage was only minor. And boy I can tell you, the RF-Beacon from fmtv.us saved my day! (http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html)
Without that little gem, I doubt we would have ever found the heli, at least not within 15 minutes. I wouldn't fly without it anymore.

So what was the problem at all? It seems like the first crash landing damaged the antennas of my rc-system (Futaba FASST), at least that's the only reason I can imagine why it locked out. I might also have bent the feathering shaft, which would have caused more vibration which as well could have caused the lockout, but this is just speculation.

I'm really looking forward to my long range system now (as if it wasn't like that before), I guess with the extra power not even the first crash landing would have happened, since I would have gone up again when the first statics appeared on the video. With FASST I wasn't able anymore. And I need to find a better spotter, which is hard if you get up at 6 in the morning ...

Damage is minor at least. VTx Battery is dead, tailboom bent, 3 servo horns broken, and I'll replace feathering and main shaft. Everything else seems to be fine at least. Will have a look at my rc rx as well, maybe replace the antennas just to make sure.

cheers!
Wolfgang
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old May 30, 2010, 11:30 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,912 Posts
Awesome attempt! would have made for a great video! Good luck with the next one!

Those were certainly tall trees, though they probably cushioned the impact of the heli - if it'd missed the trees, the damage bill would certainly have been much higher.

Cheers

Roger (who is learning to FVP with his Tri-copter)
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old May 31, 2010, 02:12 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,646 Posts
Hey fellas, i have a few items for sale ----> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252922

Will offer free shipping to a fellow Aussie .
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old May 31, 2010, 02:32 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Hey fellas, i have a few items for sale ----> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252922

Will offer free shipping to a fellow Aussie .
Why you selling up Kev?? You just got them??
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 02:56 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,646 Posts
Nah mate, just looking at getting the EZUHF purely because it's plug n play with EZOSD and TrackerR2, other than that i love my TLRS .

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old May 31, 2010, 03:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
DUDES... You need to read this....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=91
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 03:12 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
But surely the thing is about the purpose of the plane... we are still flying FPV as recreation aren't we? The UAV classification seems to be if the plane is for other purposes...

Bugger eh?
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old May 31, 2010, 03:20 AM
Australia 3568
Joined Jun 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Looks like the Outback Challenge will be cancelled ?????

Time to complain to local Member ,Elections are comming.

Brett
peecee is offline Find More Posts by peecee
Old May 31, 2010, 03:23 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
The Outback Challenge has CASA approval.
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
Old May 31, 2010, 03:51 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Looks to me like other than for recreational usage we become UAV. This is not the case for us as we are just hobbyists.
As long as we stay within the category of recreational model aircraft the mode of control should be irrelevant. (I hope)
No I didnt read the 50 page document.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old May 31, 2010, 04:28 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Looks to me like other than for recreational usage we become UAV. This is not the case for us as we are just hobbyists.
As long as we stay within the category of recreational model aircraft the mode of control should be irrelevant. (I hope)
No I didnt read the 50 page document.
Yep The OBC has an exemption.

and NO we are not considered hobbyists! As clearly stated, and that is why I asked that specific question... FPV is illegal in any form.

What a joke!!
RCG Plus Member