HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:03 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
A 4mm solid CF rod glued in the exisiting tube with some PU will also works well... and embed some flat 3x1mm cf on its edge from the a bit before the spar ends and extend to the curved bit of the wing tips works well too~

As for the servos .. theres been some bad reports on them ... and well for the price of the HXT900 servos that are well proven, not a bad way to go for some peice of mind.

Anyway Merry Christmas to one and all, hope you have a good day!

Was going through some old videos lastnight and i realised i never got around to uploading a couple i done a few days before i lost the Easystar in August ... so i thought id upload them like a Christmas Special lol.
(still a while before its cleared)

http://vimeo.com/34174580
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:28 PM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
119 Posts
Chrissy Eve fly

Chrissy Eve fly (4 min 1 sec)
marty_mcfly is offline Find More Posts by marty_mcfly
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:39 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,967 Posts
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Nice flights Marty, I see it's a bit wet up there.

Like the F4U

-----------------

Hoppy, it's docile and aggressive, mostly depends how you fly it, but you can't fly a clipped wing one docile if you get my point. My last video shows some of the aggressive, if you need more aggressive I'd go for another more suitable airframe like a wing. Mr_B has a clipped wing and a long wing he carries around for his EZ*, so it can be done but I think it's going to be a compromised plane with only a clipped wing.

The Sumo wing from HK looks good and aggressive if you're seeking that? Horses for courses
Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
Last edited by Peril; Dec 24, 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
119 Posts
merry christmas, hi aussie most of the onboard footage on my chrissy eve video was shot from bixler with stock motor and 2200mah 11.1lipo( the other onboard is from cockpit of friends corsair), i do enjoy the bixler as good alrounder (main thing is beef up carbon rod in wings and attach wings together with 1 of popular methods)after fuse is glued together its hard to get to your gear you shoved back in there
marty_mcfly is offline Find More Posts by marty_mcfly
Old Dec 24, 2011, 06:16 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
merry xmas one & all!

thx Peril... re clipped wings, i thought perhaps the bixler is a bit docile, but perhaps this isnt the case.
I'm hoping to soon have my fpv funjet back in the air, that's all the adrenaline flying i need

is the stock motor sufficient?
i was thinking stock motor, 2200mah 3S to start with, dubro hinges to relieve servo strain, and CF spar in the main.
is there anything else worth doing?
Radio and vid I am still undecided... either 5.8/2.4 or 900.LRS.... not sure if the bixler is a long range flyer to tie up some long range gear...
what would be the typical range on a basically stock bixler with 2200-3000mah batt?

cheers!
I think stock is sufficient with the prop replaced with a 6x4.

Not sure of range, I flew 15mins on 2200ma last time out, mostly full throttle. It could go long range, Gree uses his with UHF and went 1.5km straight up hehehe. I use mine with 5.8G and stay closer, up to you I guess but the lighter it is the more agile and 'aggressive' it can be. There is a HUGE amount of info in the Bixler thread, I suggest you run through that to get an idea on range.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:52 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peril View Post
I think stock is sufficient with the prop replaced with a 6x4.
I agree, stock motor does OK with a 6x4. I ran a CF rod down the fus, there is a groove there already and a 3mm fits in nicley. I also reinforced main spar and ran a long 3mm rod further through the wings. You will need to do somethign to keep your wings secured too, I used magnets and a little extra tape to make the fit tighter. I run 2200 3s and have had up to an hour in the air (with some thermal assistance.) I also added a bit of cloth tape on the nose/belly and some more on the bottom of the wings over the "spar cover"..no idea what to call it. I an using included servos/control rods and clevices, so far no issues.
Gimmer is online now Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined May 2010
2,967 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 02:45 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Quote:
15 to 60 minutes on a 2200mah- that's something couragous

i might just go with a LR set up...
not sure about the main wings though... seeing as the fuse can only be glued once, i may as well follow the same philosophy and glue the main wings... and never crash damage the wings...
The original 6mm tube makes a good wing joiner if you insert some 3mm into it (making one 6mm rod). This rod then slides neatly into 8mm tube and this 8mm can be glued in the wings. Yes it a little complicated but a real good end result.

For info my Bixler fus came already glued, so I've had to live with it that way, didn't realise I was the odd one out, hehehe.

I have a new camera so thought I'd try it out below

Last edited by Peril; Dec 25, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 04:05 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
Real quick one before I go out...

Totally unedited raw footage so jump to about 2:20 for the take off.

At one point I flew behind myself and into the shadow of my transmitter signal. The plane took a nose dive straight into the ocean! Luckily all my research flashed through my brain and I realized why I must have lost signal. I turned around in time to save the plane! A very scary moment!!!

Edit: YouTube didn't like trimming the video, so I uploaded a new edited version.

Long Reef on a windy Christmas day (4 min 22 sec)
rogueqd is online now Find More Posts by rogueqd
Last edited by rogueqd; Dec 25, 2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Uploaded edited video to YouTube
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:06 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
What RC gear were you using? You must have really shyt yourself to land 70m away
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Sep 2010
33 Posts
Thanks guys for the info on the bixler-skywalker , think i might go with the skywalker this time,i dont really need a weight carrier as i only fly with fpv and a keychain cam, i dont bother with osd either because the furtherest i have flown is about 1/2 a mile or so, but it would be handy when i load it with my still camera for taking aerial pics.It looks like a fairly stable platform as well.
birdscarer is offline Find More Posts by birdscarer
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:53 AM
Joined May 2010
2,967 Posts
Quote:
The original 6mm tube makes a good wing joiner if you insert some 3mm into it (making one 6mm rod). This rod then slides neatly into 8mm tube and this 8mm can be glued in the wings. Yes it a little complicated but a real good end result.

For info my Bixler fus came already glued, so I've had to live with it that way, didn't realise I was the odd one out, hehehe.

I have a new camera so thought I'd try it out below

thx mate
i'll have a ponder when it arrives, but if i understand you correctly, your idea sounds good

cheers
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:54 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
What RC gear were you using? You must have really shyt yourself to land 70m away
The same gear I had at the park with you. (except new antennas )
There is a heap of turbulence behind the cliff slope, as you can see. Even 70m away the approach was pretty rough. I never planned to land at the launch point.
But yeah, I shyt myself big time. I had horrible visions of having to wait for all my destroyed electronics to wash ashore to recover what little was left. I was SO glad I realized what the problem was in time to recover the plane. We're saving up to go overseas in May, so that could have easily been the end of FPVing for quite a few months.
We had sat up there debating about the wind for about half an hour before I set the gear up, so I wasn't really relaxed and clear headed. I even forgot to put the 808 #11 cam on, which was the whole point of the flight. From now on if it's anything more than brown on the wind chart I'll just take the Clouds Fly for a LOS flight.
rogueqd is online now Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:30 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
719 Posts
Quote:
15 to 60 minutes on a 2200mah- that's something couragous

i might just go with a LR set up...
not sure about the main wings though... seeing as the fuse can only be glued once, i may as well follow the same philosophy and glue the main wings... and never crash damage the wings...
60min would be my max ( I have had to drop the bix out of a thermal more than once), 15-25 more the norm. If you never want to pull the wings apart perhaps use velco? in a crash it may give enough to prevent serious damage. I have heard you should build to fly not to crash but murphy is never far away....do I need to mention the cessna
Gimmer is online now Find More Posts by Gimmer