HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:46 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
Hey, if any of you guys are flying at Heffron over the christmas holidays, drop me a note on here. I often fly my FPV tricopter from Mutch park, and would like to give Heffron a try!

Michael.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:02 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
I finally got the last few cables I was waiting for to do my diydrones 2.4g booster mod.

The 1w booster is powered off a 2s 1300mah via a 6v UBEC. The light in the booster is solid green when it's all powered up which is supposed to be the sign that it's all working. I have it rigged up so I can remove the booster and still run a standard antenna on the standard power that the DX8 puts out. Im going to range test it somewhere with a mate where I can get more than 2-3k LOS before I go testing it with video range.

I'll post pics if anyone is keen on the setup of the system. Apparently some people are going out past 5klm on this mod, I just want to be able to FPV from one end of cronulla to the other and back or similar.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:19 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Picture me up TS
Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:28 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trjw View Post
in the TekSumo wing, at the local park the other morning.
almost in the local park lights!

I like the youtube stablise effect and gave it a test. The stablised version is "auto trimed", when you compare frame with frame the FOV is less in the stablised version. No shaky letter box in mine either, weird.

Stabilised:
Teksumo Buzz - stabilised (1 min 37 sec)

Raw:
Teksumo Buzz (1 min 37 sec)

End of off topic post.

Gimmer
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:37 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Mmm, this thing looks awesome for FPV, guess the only drawback is you need a runway

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17106

Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:39 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post
Looking forward to seeing this one in the air ... ready before Christmas?

Cheers

Roger (who has most of the lightweight components here ready to put the FPV tricopter on a diet)

Will give it a test fly 2moro if the wind behaves. Ive gone through the config for RVOSD5 and it all looks good.

Whats your target weight for the tricopter? I thought it was pretty light anyway!! I think you should pull that scarab out again and have another look. Atleast just set it up as a spare.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:02 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peril View Post
Mmm, this thing looks awesome for FPV, guess the only drawback is you need a runway

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17106

It's need a brick in the front to balance it...
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:36 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peril View Post
I've got some Fat Sharks, na na na na na naaaa.

Took three days from HK via UPS, great service. Off to wire them up for use and test em out.
Hi Peril,
I had a set of the new Dominators and had a small issue which you may get also. I found that the A/V in plug wouldn't connect correctly if it was pushed in all the way. All I got was an illuminated blank screen. It took a little fiddling to get the plug alignment correct. I ended up putting a small spacer made from half a servo grommet around the base of the plug to prevent it pushing fully in. Not sure if this will be a problem for you or I was just unlucky.
Anyway I sold them after a month.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:41 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,995 Posts
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:19 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
I have ordered one. There is a v3 that is lighter and gas flaps. Just back from my 3rd fpv outlining and had the best results ! Flew from my beach to the next beach and back ! Very happy boy !
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:43 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
231 Posts
lloydh. dont hesitate to add some weight to your SW. I've had 12.0Ahr of 4S 35C paralleled in my Skywalker with a heavy GoPro pan/tilt arrangement, it flies well with a bit of weight. good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
Ive just about finished putting together a skywalker and was a bit surprised by the amount of weight needed up front. Its got a 4S 4500mah flight battery, still needs heaps up front to balance so im going to use a 3S 2200mah or bigger to supply 12V.

Im impressed with the RVOSD5. Very easy to setup. Cant wait to test out the level flight and RTH modes.
mentony32 is offline Find More Posts by mentony32
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:07 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,995 Posts
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:35 AM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Conducted a few more test flights with my new Easyglider Pro today after the disaster of the crash on maiden!

Fix her up nicely, and today i gave it a work out LOS.
Got a new cularis spinner and 12x8 prop blades in it and combined with the extreme flight 2814T/820 its a rocket!! It climbs just about vertical ... and glides ... well like a glider i guess!!

The big suprise was when i fitted the 5000mah 3s pack to it .... it took the extra weight no worries at all. Should be good for an hours worth of flying!!

Tomorrow i plan to give it its last LOS test to hunt some thermals before i fit it out with the rest of my FPV gear.

Really loving this plane, rock solid all the way!
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:37 AM
Keith
Australia, New South Wales, Newcastle
Joined Apr 2011
337 Posts
OK I am now planning replacement equipment for my next Skywalker.
I have been running the FY21 and AP117 but found it definately had flaws. Am considering replacing it with the RVOSDV5 which I know a lot of people here are running. Is it worth considering?
I need RTH and all the goodies like power consumption.
Range Video keeps them for $299 but are out of stock at the moment.
Any feedback appreciated.

Keith
basadia is offline Find More Posts by basadia
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:22 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
Hi Keith,
If you are patient then the Gen5 is the ducks guts.
I have 2 G5s and a G4 converted to G5. They are an elegant, single device solution. It does everything advertised, and if you are prepared to have a good read of the instructions and follow setup exactly, then you will have a bird that will do RTH with default settings. There is also excellent support and feedback from Alex the developer.
http://rangevideo.com/forum/forumdis...hp?3-RVOSD-FPV
Often he incorporates suggestions from the community into firmware updates which are released often.
Trouble is that RV play their cards fairly close and nobody is even hinting as to when stock will become available again.
It will be worth the the wait.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn