HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:08 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
719 Posts
The Sydney boys are starting to make me jealous. Any Brisbanites interested in catching up for a fly some time? I fly with TRJW regualry and have met AussieHoppy once (Look what I have become Hoppy!) I don't have alot of commitments outside of work so where and when would be pretty flexiable for me.

Cheers,
Gimmer
Gimmer is online now Find More Posts by Gimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:09 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peril View Post
BW, I find it's more like the simulator flying I do than RC, only better. As for RL, the reason I fly FPV is I can't afford the real plane. Actually the same reason I fly RC and simulator, hehehe. The Fat sharks are about 200% improvement on the experience, I was sold and are awaiting mine UPS from China. (due tomorrow) The guys will tell you I was a little 'excitable' with my flight on Saturday, all I can say is what a buzz. If you listen carefully you can hear me yelling with joy on the video just after I landed

I'm a frustrated pilot and this is the closest I'll ever get to RL flying, bonus is if I crash it won't hurt much.
What model fatsharks did you order ? I'm have ordered the predators..what were you using before ? I find fpv fascinating as I want to get very low and do proximity flying as I prefer not to fly that low in real life !
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:26 AM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
BW, I used the base model for testing on Saturday, the one with a leads. The base model FS Goggles will suite my needs better as I use the HK 5.8G TX frequencies. Full FS Predator is only compatible with their immersion 5.8G systems. If you used 1.2G main vTX then perhaps the Predator would be an advantage (no leads with 5.8G relay), but for me not so much advantage as I can't use that system with my HK 5.8 gear.

I've never had goggles, just a 9" video screen but never flew from the screen as it's not got a shroud. I have tested both major brands thanks to Mr_B and Rogueqd, Mr_Bs RX was HK 5.8G and in the goggles. I found a loss in video quality when flying with the RX mounted in the goggles compared to last Saturday. I think it's better to have my RX high and away from my radio wave absorbent head Depends on your system and planned use, for me, FS base model is the 'best' solution, and for once it's also the cheapest which keeps the wife happy

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15128

Last Location:
Departed - Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong, Tuesday, 20/12/2011
Peril is online now Find More Posts by Peril
Last edited by Peril; Dec 20, 2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:31 AM
Joined Jul 2010
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
The Sydney boys are starting to make me jealous. Any Brisbanites interested in catching up for a fly some time? I fly with TRJW regualry and have met AussieHoppy once (Look what I have become Hoppy!) I don't have alot of commitments outside of work so where and when would be pretty flexiable for me.

Cheers,
Gimmer
I'm definitely interested! I currently have plenty of spare time so just let me know where and when! (I'd be interested in having a fly down your way actually)
Nellik is online now Find More Posts by Nellik
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:48 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peril View Post
BW, I used the base model for testing on Saturday, the one with a leads. The base model FS Goggles will suite my needs better as I use the HK 5.8G TX frequencies. Full FS Predator is only compatible with their immersion 5.8G systems. If you used 1.2G main vTX then perhaps the Predator would be an advantage (no leads with 5.8G relay), but for me not so much advantage as I can't use that system with my HK 5.8 gear.

I've never had goggles, just a 9" video screen but never flew from the screen as it's not got a shroud. I have tested both major brands thanks to Mr_B and Rogueqd, Mr_Bs RX was HK 5.8G and in the goggles. I found a loss in video quality when flying with the RX mounted in the goggles compared to last Saturday. I think it's better to have my RX high and away from my radio wave absorbent head Depends on your system and planned use, for me, FS base model is the 'best' solution, and for once it's also the cheapest which keeps the wife happy

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15128

Last Location:
Departed - Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong, Tuesday, 20/12/2011
Hmm..I. Maybe should of checked first as I thought they are all compatible with the 5.8 system ? I'm using just hk stuff and was under the impression, maybe wrongly it will work ?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:46 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,027 Posts
You definitely need to check which frequencies in the 5.8 band the Shark Rx will work with. Not all 5.8 VTxs have the appropriate channel slots.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:28 AM
The Real JW
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellik View Post
I'm definitely interested! I currently have plenty of spare time so just let me know where and when! (I'd be interested in having a fly down your way actually)
I'm really flexible for the next 3 weeks, and keen to fly at any opportunity!

TRJW
trjw is offline Find More Posts by trjw
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:47 AM
The Real JW
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
More circle work

in the TekSumo wing, at the local park the other morning.

stabilised version:

TekSumo FPV park flying (stabilised) (2 min 54 sec)

shaky-cam:
TekSumo FPV park flying (2 min 54 sec)
trjw is offline Find More Posts by trjw
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:17 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
BW, HK sell both types so I may have miss lead you by using my broad brush, you may be OK yet.

This TX 'will' work with FS Goggles RX:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_600mw_.html

I love UPS Tracking, I can see my Xmas pressy travelling around the world.

"Botany, Australia 20/12/2011 4:39 Package data processed by brokerage Waiting for clearance / Released by clearing agency Now in-transit for delivery "
Last edited by Peril; Dec 20, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:24 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
BingWing, I see your ordered some FS goggles. While your waiting you could also mod the ones you have with putting them into an Old Ski Mask etc.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...sk+mod&page=21

Instead of putting a beanie over your head. I use the HK goggles in a old mask for the last year and haven't had any probs. Just an idea while you wait for the New Ones.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
Ive just about finished putting together a skywalker and was a bit surprised by the amount of weight needed up front. Its got a 4S 4500mah flight battery, still needs heaps up front to balance so im going to use a 3S 2200mah or bigger to supply 12V.

Im impressed with the RVOSD5. Very easy to setup. Cant wait to test out the level flight and RTH modes.
Looking forward to seeing this one in the air ... ready before Christmas?

Cheers

Roger (who has most of the lightweight components here ready to put the FPV tricopter on a diet)
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
BingWing, I see your ordered some FS goggles. While your waiting you could also mod the ones you have with putting them into an Old Ski Mask etc.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...sk+mod&page=21

Instead of putting a beanie over your head. I use the HK goggles in a old mask for the last year and haven't had any probs. Just an idea while you wait for the New Ones.

Bx
I tried my snowboarding googles but found that they let to much light in however, I tried a really thick fleese beanie that white on the outside and black on the inside and it seems the best solution yet. I will go and have a fly at lunch ( my field is 2 minutes away from my house and I work from home mostly )

With regards to compadability.... How do I know ? All I can see of the TX is - TS351 5.8 and its a 8 channel version bought from HK I believe... The RX is a RC305 8 ch... Also bought from HK..

As a get together guys I would love all go for a fly an a few beers if you guys are keen ? I got a great FPV spot on the coast !
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Um, sorry dude, these are not compatible with FS 5.8G (immersion brand). Good news is you can just plug in the lead like I do, they will still work great

Send me your email, we'll chat about that spot

Quote:
TS351 5.8 and its a 8 channel version bought from HK I believe... The RX is a RC305 8 ch... Also bought from HK..
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Wilco
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:28 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
I've got some Fat Sharks, na na na na na naaaa.

Took three days from HK via UPS, great service. Off to wire them up for use and test em out.