HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
Thanks Pete.

We thought he had lost it, we had ground telemetry on google maps, and we last known position was over bush when telemetry dropped out, we drove up that way hopping to re-establish telemetry and get a position fix, however that wasn't successful, as we returned to the flying club, a car drove in with his plane. We were soooooo surprised to get the plane back, and even more surprised that the only damage was a warped wing.

The first thing we did was download the onboard video and we were shocked with the almost perfect landing by the AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
Hi...htran....saw your video...your mate must be one lucky bar*****.
Not only did it almost land in the middle of the only clear field around....no doubt you could drive straight up to retrieve it....and had a cold beer at the local gun club immediatly afterwards.
One of the best video's I have seen for a while......well done.
....Pete
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
Thanks mate.

According to the Zephyr II assembly instructions the lactate 200 is supposed to be used as a primer for the paint and laminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcoolahan View Post
htran, i am getting a local shop in Grafton nsw (who stocks loctite stuff) to look into trying to get some of the locktite 200 in for me.
Waiting to hear back from him, will let you know if i can get it.

Cheers
Patrick
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basadia View Post
With the demise of my Skywalker thinking of what to put together to replace it. I have a spare Skywalker in my shed but have been looking at the Radian. Appears to be a nice frame though does not have the cockpit room that the Skywalker has. Should be able to get away with smaller batteries due to the sleeker shape and better airfoil. Anyone advise if they are FPVing with the Radian and whether it would be a good choice?
tks

Keith
Keith, lots of us went for the Bixler (sky Surfer), it's similar to the Radian in design but with ailerons. It needs some mods to strengthen it a bit but these are well documented. I am very impressed with mine after yesterday, and Eddie likes his as well.

Gree manage to shoehorn pan and tilt plus full ET RTH system into a similar airframe, but I don't plan to put all that weight in my Bixler so it flies more nimbly. I think my quality fixed camera (seawolf) with 115 deg lens, 5.8G 200mw Video and 2.4 FrSky Telemetry is about all I need for in Sydney town fun flying. Possibly I could add cheep HUD, but hardly a 'must have' for my park fly situation.

May I suggest two planes may cover your needs better?

If you are long range flying (UHF) you consider a larger glider similar to Omadawns set-up (or another Skywalker), and for medium range, throw it around stuff you consider a Bixler.
Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,272 Posts
Name: PIC_2442.JPG
Views: 106
Size: 83.4 KB
Description:

Hobby king Twin Raptor FPV
cody069 is offline Find More Posts by cody069
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:47 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,812 Posts
The beast is unleashed!
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:49 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,812 Posts
Must be something in the water up north.
Now there is another 2 headed monster.
So, how was it?
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:03 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,272 Posts
Needs a bit more nose weight, but otherwise not to bad.Need less wind to really see if it preforms well.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:26 PM
Joined May 2009
782 Posts
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,272 Posts
Thanks for your Photo's Pete..Have copied your post over to the adealaide forum...Hope you don't mind.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:31 PM
Joined May 2009
782 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:18 AM
Joined May 2009
782 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:25 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
if you can't get loctite 200 just use kwickgrip spray glue in light coats. Bunnings sell it. I used it on my z 2 and its fine. I did not paint mine though its just to join the cores.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:32 AM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
cody069....the video of the maiden flight of your new Twin Raptor.
....Pete

http://vimeo.com/33849929
Nice work Cody, I haven't see much on the Raptor, and already a monster is out there!
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:31 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,733 Posts
Twin raptor looks interesting.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cruisy Quad Flight
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:39 PM
Keith
Australia, New South Wales, Newcastle
Joined Apr 2011
337 Posts
Well I have a conclusion to my lost Skywalker plane. Grabbed my trusty Etrex Legend GPS after going over my crash footage frame by frame. The crash site was 2.6 Ks out from my ground station so I set the distance tracker on the GPS and went for walk this morning. I knew that it was probably a lost cause but what the hell. I persuaded the wife and youngest son to come for a walk with the proviso that it was good exercise. I stopped at the 2.6 K mark and had a good look around but found nothing, I had said I would go to 3 Ks and if nothing found give it up for a lost cause. Well at around 2.9 ks I noticed a lot of birds hanging around what looked like a tide line and the missus thought she could see something white on the beach ahead. Well we got to the item which was the wing sitting on the beach, great. I could see that the GoPro case was open and the camera was gone. I gathered all the pieces up and headed home.
Looking at where the plane was sitting there were lots of foot prints and even several sets of tire tracks. It appears that someone had found the camera and decided they needed it more than I did. Also on the fuse was my name and phone number which was clearly visible. Even though there was obvious signs that people had found the plane not one phone call to let me know it was still salvageable, definitely disappoints my faith in my fellow human beings.
Well after getting home have stripped out all the electronics which are showing obvious signs of being in the salt water. What I could get out were:
Foxtech 500 mw TX
FY21
Chainlink TX
60 amp Turnigy ESC
All these parts have been cleaned and sprayed with WD40 and are now sitting in a bowl of rice for a couple of days trying to dry it out in the hope that some of it may be salvageable. Most hoping to get back the FY21AP as they are the most expensive item to replace.

I have lost everything else.
Very disappointed about the GoPro as it would have survived the landing and immersion and the total lack of care towards others. A phone call would have at least saved me much effort.
cheers
Keith
basadia is offline Find More Posts by basadia