HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:32 PM
Keith
Australia, New South Wales, Newcastle
Joined Apr 2011
337 Posts
Sad news, lost my Skywalker and all flight gear today. I thought I would do a beach flight at Stockton, launch was successful but got about 2.5 Ks toward the Signa which was my intended destination and motor went WOT. Plane piched down and to the right and landed in the water. Spent several hours combing the beach to no avail.
What I lost:
Skywalker
FY21AP
AP117
GoPro with 16 MB SD card
4 x MG servos
2 x HXT800 servos
1 x 5000 MAH Turnigy 4s LIPO
1 x 1800 MAH Turnigy 3s LIPO
KX181 Camera
Foxtech 500 mw TX
Chainlink RX
Really bummed now not sure what to do.
Here is the flight from the ground station:

Skywalker Lost at Stockton Beach, Newcastle (3 min 10 sec)
basadia is offline Find More Posts by basadia
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
been there, feel ya pain...

i lost almost the exact same set up.. ;-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by basadia View Post
Sad news, lost my Skywalker and all flight gear today. I thought I would do a beach flight at Stockton, launch was successful but got about 2.5 Ks toward the Signa which was my intended destination and motor went WOT. Plane piched down and to the right and landed in the water. Spent several hours combing the beach to no avail.
What I lost:
Skywalker
FY21AP
AP117
GoPro with 16 MB SD card
4 x MG servos
2 x HXT800 servos
KX181 Camera
Foxtech 500 mw TX
Chainlink RX

http://youtu.be/36hzSEOaD9M
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:56 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec View Post
Hey Roger,

Looking forward to seeing how your setup goes this christmas. the dragon link should be here in time to take it down to Melb with me.

Do you want me to bring down some more EPP? the center section looks to be as aerodynamic as, errr.... umm... a bus

I left some extra on the nose for some additional bump protection during the first few flights. Once I have the settings sorted, I'll hone it down a bit to give the cameras a clear view and make it more aerodynamic.

Bring your goggles with you, Dave, and your DL (with that antquated Mode 1 funny stick radio too - you know: dual axis gimbles were invented about 50 years ago) - we can fly the Funjet, tricopter and Scout Bee in combinations. I have an extra VRX that you can use to fly through.

Have you fixed dates yet?

Cheers

Roger.
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:12 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ View Post
Very nice roger!! I have the 48in windrider wing and love it..

Can you tell us more about the centre section? Ive seen it once before and might give it a go on my next build.

Cheers,

John
John

The centre section is simply a big chunk of EPP. It comes in 2" thick sheets, and I cut a 4" wide panel for the Fuselage. All the electronics except the VTX and the antennas are mounted in deep, lidded bays. Much more available room than trying to lay it out all over the wing, and the fuselage is a good motor mount out back and camera mount our front. You'll see in the pic below that the raw fuselage length was much longer - I anticipated that the plane would be tail-heavy and that the cameras would be waaay out front to get the CoG right. It turned out that the the piece I cut off the nose was added to the rear to push the motor back!

I have 2 'bays' for electrics, one for the EagleTree, LRS RX and guardian, and the other for the power wiring (battery leads, connectors, Y-harness for parallel batt connections, 12V tapping for the VTX, and routing of the ESC wires. This keeps my fingers out of the electronics wiring (read: accidentally disconnecting something while rummaging around plugging-unplugging batteries) for flight-to-flight use. Recesses are cut into the nose for the panning servo and GoPro, and out back for the ESC. I used a piece of rectangular PVC downpipe for the motor mount, which fits snugly over the 2" thick EPP block at the rear. So the "Fuselage" is a pretty handy addition, and it might even generate a little extra lift to boot! The spars (ribbon top and bottom, and 6mm tube through the trailing edge) both go through the fuselage, therefore the ribbons finish 2" short of the wingtips. This is OK as I have covered the whole wing in light laminating film and it is rigid enough.

CoG is about 1/2" behind the ribbon spars.

Cheers

Roger.
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:15 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Basadia, that sucks man sorry to hear of your loss. It's always a bugger when that unexpected element jumps up.

Hopefully you had your phone number on it and it floated and is picked up by someone.
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:33 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
[QUOTE=basadia;20148911]Sad news, lost my Skywalker and all flight gear today. I thought I would do a beach flight at Stockton, launch was successful but got about 2.5 Ks toward the Signa which was my intended destination and motor went WOT. Plane piched down and to the right and landed in the water. Spent several hours combing the beach to no avail.
What I lost:
Skywalker
FY21AP
AP117
GoPro with 16 MB SD card
4 x MG servos
2 x HXT800 servos
KX181 Camera
Foxtech 500 mw TX
Chainlink RX

Also sorry to hear about your loss.

Have you contacted the local:
http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/maps/newcastle.html

Not sure what it is like down your way but there are usually volunteers than are at the neck of rivers in tall buildings and logging each boat in and out. They speak to the fishermen etc so they would be the ones to contact. Not sure how you go if you start talking frequencies you use to them.

Wonder if it was the speed controller overheating? I guess you had a good ESC with an extra UBEC or a SBEC.

Bad luck.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:55 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post
I left some extra on the nose for some additional bump protection during the first few flights. Once I have the settings sorted, I'll hone it down a bit to give the cameras a clear view and make it more aerodynamic.

Bring your goggles with you, Dave, and your DL (with that antquated Mode 1 funny stick radio too - you know: dual axis gimbles were invented about 50 years ago) - we can fly the Funjet, tricopter and Scout Bee in combinations. I have an extra VRX that you can use to fly through.

Have you fixed dates yet?

Cheers

Roger.
I've seen you fly, no need for bump protection mate

Flying in Fri At this stage an no exit date set but no more than 3-5 days after arrival. maybe 26th??

Keen to see you gear combinations at work. we are just about to go dragonlink but I'm also shopping for a 5.8g VTX setup as well. Just on another tab looking at securtiycamera2000 website
trying to work out which camera to buy next
Thanks

dave
ticketec is online now Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:09 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Pete.. Where you flying?
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:33 PM
Keith
Australia, New South Wales, Newcastle
Joined Apr 2011
337 Posts
It had a 60 amp Turnigy Plush ESC mounted on the outside of the fuse so would be surprised if it was overheating. Also had a 5 amp BESC. Going into the water would pretty much trash all the electronic componants so if by any chance I get it back (yes my name was on it) the only salvagable item would be the GoPro which I would love to get back. Unfortunately they are an attactive item so would be surprised if it made its way back to me.

Keith

Not sure what it is like down your way but there are usually volunteers than are at the neck of rivers in tall buildings and logging each boat in and out. They speak to the fishermen etc so they would be the ones to contact. Not sure how you go if you start talking frequencies you use to them.

Wonder if it was the speed controller overheating? I guess you had a good ESC with an extra UBEC or a SBEC.

Bad luck.[/QUOTE]
basadia is offline Find More Posts by basadia
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:46 AM
I didn't think it'd do that
Australia, TAS
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
omelette is online now Find More Posts by omelette
Last edited by omelette; Jan 27, 2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:10 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,770 Posts
Thats terrible news basadia. Hope you get the GoPro and the footage back!! Was the speedie tucked away in the cavity under the wing without any air flow?
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:12 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,770 Posts
Roger, that wing looks pretty sick mate. Cant wait to see it in action. I like the way youve mounted the batteries. Do they sit right over the CG?
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:09 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basadia View Post
It had a 60 amp Turnigy Plush ESC mounted on the outside of the fuse so would be surprised if it was overheating. Also had a 5 amp BESC. Going into the water would pretty much trash all the electronic componants so if by any chance I get it back (yes my name was on it) the only salvagable item would be the GoPro which I would love to get back. Unfortunately they are an attactive item so would be surprised if it made its way back to me.

Keith

Bad luck.
[/QUOTE]

The 60 amp Turnigy Plush ESC should be great particularly mounted outside the fuselage, as you say.

What brand of 5 amp (BESC)/BEC did you have? Apparently the HK ones are no good for what you are using.

I have been having problems getting a decent UBEC/SBEC. Does anyone know where you can get these in AU at a reasonable price?

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-70...10A-BEC/Detail

I did not think they posted to AU but just noticed they do for $6 so that is all right.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:37 AM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:46 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Sounds good Pete..As long as I am not working :-(

If it Flys Should do well on a slope..
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069