HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:41 PM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,227 Posts
That's actually a very nice video! Thanks.
Simon
SSM is offline Find More Posts by SSM
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb_number View Post
I had a go there recently to mate, crapping myself the whole time. I dont have a good track record for landing so controlled stalling into the hill was always the plan. The rotor coming off the hill and not being able to define the tree tops off the flight camera was not the plan. I thought I might be a good enough pilot to make some 'Trappy' style videos if I found a 'pretty' place to fly.........

Back to eating humble pie.

http://www.vimeo.com/11160263
Hey I liked that Video, and man i think you did great on the landing, you avoided the trees and rocks just great, and hit the soft spot dead on.

But i gotta ask, what on earth have you done to your lense, have you been cleaning it with JEX or someting, its completly clouded over?

Great vid, as for eating humble pie, i like to see others fly from a location like that, not like you have 1500ft flat soft grass field to land in.
Plus you landed under goggles, many of the long term fpv'rs cant even do that.

Top Stuff dude !!!
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:20 PM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Thanks guy's, just hard on myself because I had really high expectations for that place on that day. Never one to give up but, so I'll have another shot there soon.

Wobby, The bloody case fogged up because I was using the waterproof one, instead of the case with slots in the back. Lesson learned.........but......if I want to go under that bridge, I might see if I can stick a packet of silica crystals in waterproof one
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:44 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,885 Posts
Looks like you guys need to try slope soaring. I have been saying for years its the natural place for FPV. Great scenery, out with nature, usually away from the wuffos, and you can fly for as long as you like on no power! On a good day ANYTHING will slope soar, power planes, bricks, you name it. You dont need a dedicated slope soarer. Easy star is fine. Except helicopters....
I had a job today that took me to Victor Harbor, about 80k S of Adelaide.
I threw my hack FPV plane and my stripped down GS in the van and after work flew 'The Bluff' for 45 mins. Excellent soaring up to 500ft! Waves, rocks, albatrosses, cliffs, beach. Fabulous.
I typically fly 1-1.5 hrs per flight and have logged about 10 hours in the last 3 weeks.
Ya gotta give it a go.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Thumb_number
Phew, just fog, thats a relief, yeah go under the bridge, that would be cool.

ommadawn
lol, no need to talk me into it, ive been flying slope since i was 12.

Have great slopes all closeby.

However, my favourite slope, about 15yrs ago, had been taken over by the Wedge Tails, nothing last more than 3 minutes in the sky since.
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:30 AM
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Looks like you guys need to try slope soaring. I have been saying for years its the natural place for FPV. Great scenery, out with nature, usually away from the wuffos, and you can fly for as long as you like on no power! On a good day ANYTHING will slope soar, power planes, bricks, you name it. You dont need a dedicated slope soarer. Easy star is fine. Except helicopters....
I had a job today that took me to Victor Harbor, about 80k S of Adelaide.
I threw my hack FPV plane and my stripped down GS in the van and after work flew 'The Bluff' for 45 mins. Excellent soaring up to 500ft! Waves, rocks, albatrosses, cliffs, beach. Fabulous.
I typically fly 1-1.5 hrs per flight and have logged about 10 hours in the last 3 weeks.
Ya gotta give it a go.
Yep, love slope myself. You would have seen the Perth slope thread. Biggest issue for the Perth people who want to slope is this thing called the 'Perth coastal plain', it's a bitch of a thing that see's us driving for multiple hours to find a slope any bigger than 75m+ in height (unless its a quarry or a dam). I have 'tried' slope with an FPV setup but we just don't have big enough slopes. Risk verse fun, I'd rather crap myself and throw my FPV into the valley or go the ultra safe option of the coastal nothingness and chase a motorbike. One day, I'll stop buying stuff for the sport and take my plane to a more aesthetic environment........ Austria......Paris.......hell, Albany will do!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:39 AM
fpv addict
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
921 Posts
fpv slope soaring is awesome !! theres nothing like looking back at the hill form the air!!
mrleenagle is offline Find More Posts by mrleenagle
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:08 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,885 Posts
You probably have seen this, but here it is anyway, unedited.
FPV slope soaring at Maslin Beach, South Australia (10 min 38 sec)
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:27 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,748 Posts
FAT SHARK HD-1 ARE ON THE WAY

The wait is finally over. The Fat Shark HD Cam is on its way! WOO HOO!

We don't have a great deal of them, but they are listed on our website, and first in will get them.

http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/the-mo...category_id=10

Man I can't wait!!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:56 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
my new AP plane has arrived...now just gotta get used to it and then FPV will be the go

Im 6'2" so its a decent size plane 102" wing
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:40 AM
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel View Post
my new AP plane has arrived...now just gotta get used to it and then FPV will be the go

Im 6'2" so its a decent size plane 102" wing
I hope you have a power upgrade plan. I love the ST360 but the stock power plant is poor. The wing loading makes it great for FPV, I stuck a Eflite power 10 at about 35 - 40 amp up front, it was much better for the extra weight.

Good luck, and enjoy.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:50 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
yeah I have a power 10 here waiting for it

do you have any pics of how u installed it??

cheers
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Yep, here ya go.

You will see that the stock motor is attached to a steel plate, I just got rid off it and replaced with ply. I think I used an 11x8 and it just skull dragged it to alt. When I get back to this project I'll make a shroud for the motor.

You need to be careful with VRx and those super long servo runs to the tail, the servo leads just act as an antenna and the servo's go nuts, ferrite, ferrite, ferrite! I'm also replacing the aileron servo's and replacing the 'things' they use with a good old push rod setup.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:42 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
cool...how many amps does it pull with the power 10?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:55 PM
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel View Post
cool...how many amps does it pull with the power 10?
From memory, with the prop I had about 35 - 40 amps. That was heaps, the ST360 doesn't like to fly fast, it's a bit flimsy. Just did 50 degree assents to alt nice and quick, then float around for 30mins.