Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:02 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Ozzie,

You will go better with 36mhz rather than 2.4g for RC. In saying that though, it depends on what you are going to use for video.

You will need 2 more channels for head tracking so, if your plane uses 4 then you will need 6.
I have a 900mhz system. The worrying thing is that both You and Wobby dont recommend going further than 400 metres using Spektrum gear.
Will a Futaba 36mhz 6 channel radio have the features for me to utilise headtracking later on or do i need a bells and whistles 9 channel radio?
Just wondering how much difference a patch antenna would make or should I just stick to the whips?
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:32 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,072 Posts
Just been doing some online research and it seems a 36mhz Futaba radio is very hard to come by in Oz. Anyone know if JR radios will work for headtracking or what other radios people have reliably used for FPV?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:01 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,818 Posts
Honestly - The Futaba 9CAP is the ducks nuts - but you try and find one that will cost you your left testicle!!

The other choice of course is a Thomas LRS - again - not a legal frequency in australia, (but neither is the 900mhz video signal) but it will let you plug your DX7 in, and add head tracking!! Plus - will go about 15kms!!

The Patch is a good choice.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:39 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Just been doing some online research and it seems a 36mhz Futaba radio is very hard to come by in Oz. Anyone know if JR radios will work for headtracking or what other radios people have reliably used for FPV?
Hi Paul,
I managed to buy a 36MHz Futaba 9CHP over the counter last year but yes they are hard to find in Adelaide. It was from a little rc shop out north, I think it may have been called Complete Models or something, I will look at the box and confirm that if you like, They may still have stock.
HT is great but dont be in a rush to complicate matters yet. I have been flying regularly for 2 1/2 years and am just now getting comfortable with it and still flip back to manual P+T when I get into trouble.(this happens regularly).
I gave up on gyro HTs as they are more trouble than they are worth.
The Flytron HT
http://www.flytron.com/21-dt-3k-hybr...nsmitters.html
is an excellent piece of kit if you really want to try HT.
It can seamlessly slip between existing channels and not use up any of your control channels! It creates its own 2 extra channels!
I had 2 Track R2s. I sent 1 back, (failed) and sold the second one.
We should get together and you can have a try.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:48 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,072 Posts
Hi Frank
I just about gave up on FPV after the crash. I had no idea about the range issues with Spektrum.
As for Headtracking, your probably right. I have manual pan on my left stick and I mix it in to my right stick(rudder) to pan as i bank around. Works fine. I just want a more stable picture (dont we all) so am considering some patch antennas and maybe the Eagle eyes once I get to see some real world tesing of a unit. If the weathers fine this weekend then let me know a time and place.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,818 Posts
OZZI - Mate, let me know if I can help you in anyway!! I hate to see people throw in the towel because of niggly issues.

I am here in Aus, and would be more than happy to help get you successfully back in the air.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:18 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,072 Posts
Thanks for the offer Mongrel. I was going a little crazy last night but it's amazing what a good nights sleep can do to clear your head. I think I've settled on which direction i want to go. I'll leave headtracking for now and concentrate on 2 things. A good reliable RC link using a 36mhz radio (if I can find one). I'll try and find a radio which will allow HT later on. Secondly, I think I may use a patch antenna and try a tracker. I watched a video that explained alot regarding antennas and gain and alot of other stuff I had no clue about. Any idea when the Eagle eyes is shipping Mongrel? I think you need OSD Pro to get the tracking function working dont you? Will it work with the eagle Tree GPS expander V3?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,818 Posts
OZZI,

The Eagle Eyes are just about to ship. I received the notification from Eagle Tree yesterday - so it looks like we are nearly there. I have almost sold all of my allocation so let me know if you want one, and I will see if I can some more.

Yes you need to OSD Pro to use the Tracker. I will be including some OSDs Loggers and GPS units in the shipment from Eagle Tree also.

I have no actual Pan and Tilts left - although I am about to order some more, so they should be here in a week or two also.

YES - I have been told it will work with V3 of the GPS - as long as you get a good Sat count.

A patch antenna works REALLY well mate.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:05 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
Paul that shop was

Complete Hobbies & Models
1577 Main North Rd, Salisbury East SA 5109, Australia
(08) 8285 4482‎
Give them a call about Futaba.
My 9CHP was in stock Jan 09. Was Synthesised module Tx and Rx PCM , no servos.
I will probably be flying on Sat arvo if we get a nice sea breeze. You are welcome to come along and try one of my motorgliders on the slope if it comes on.
Cheers
Frank.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:09 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,072 Posts
Thanks Frank. I reckon I still have your number so I'll call you on Friday to check. Can you fit a Spektrum module in that radio? That would save me having to change all my planes over.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:20 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
Yes, I actually bought a spectrum setup for the Futaba and never used it, happy with 36Mhz. I thought you were after a 36MHz setup? I might be tempted to part with it......
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:24 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Yes, I actually bought a spectrum setup for the Futaba and never used it, happy with 36Mhz. I thought you were after a 36MHz setup? I might be tempted to part with it......
Sorry if I wasn't clear.
If its module based does that mean I could fit a 36mhz module for FPV then fit a Spektrum module for the rest of my planes?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:30 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
Yes. You have to replace the aerial as well though. It doesnt attach to the module. You unscrew the 36 telescopic and screw in a plastic extender then fit the stubby on the end of that, and connect it to the module via a short coax.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:37 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,818 Posts
Eagle Tree Eagle Eyes - are on the way

Hi Guys,

I just got word that Eagle Tree will start shipping the Eagle Eyes later this week. So if you have pre-ordered one, you should be receiving it shortly.

We will also have more OSDs, GPS, and Loggers in the box too.

I am hoping to get some more Pan and Tilt tracking systems in soon also.

It's all happening!!

Cheers
The Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:55 AM
fpv addict
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
921 Posts
anyone in sydney flying fpv??? seems im all alone??
mrleenagle is offline Find More Posts by mrleenagle