SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:52 AM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
543 Posts
Just be careful with that Range Video regulater, Firepower. Mine blew and took out my carema with it.

Now I'm using a 7812 regulator.

Happy Days.
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:57 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
gents,

Now that ive graduated to fpv'in wings I dont see any need for my easy star... so, here is an offer that should be an awesome option for someone looking at getting into FPV...

To save me stripping a working model, im willing to sell a ready to go, flight tested easy star FPV platform... Literally bind it to your radio and get in the air with a flight tested and bug free setup - if you have doubts Im sure a number of people on this thread will back me up regarding how good this thing goes... Comes with:

- Easy star
- Readymade RC camera mount
- HS81 servos
- AR6100 Rx
- stryker engine + 25amp ESC
- 6x4 prop
- 900mhz 700mw transmitter + 900mhz receiver + associated cables (for video)

**total cost to assemble less than 2 months ago = $550+**

$350

and if you want i'll:

add FlycamoneHD camera with 16gb high speed mini SD memory card for an extra $200

add black stork OSD (GPS/Altitude/Speed/battery meter) for an extra $180

add FY20 flight stabilisation system for an extra $100

****total all up cost to assemble = $1000+ & 20hours of my time****

So, here is the bottom line:

Easy star FPV bind and fly with all the fruit can be yours for $800 or without the fruit for $350...

also willing to discuss options if you want some bits but not others. Please note that the only other thing you'll need it a set of goggles or a monitor.. see www.mongrelgear.com.au for further info.

Ill even set it up, test fly it and assist with the first couple of flights.. or if you are a local I will happily help out with the first dozen or so flights as long as you come to me

PICKUP ONLY!!.... Im not posting this so dont ask.... Obviously this is located in Canberra - Northside.

Cheers,

John
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Last edited by AP_OZ; Mar 08, 2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:22 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
Just be careful with that Range Video regulater, Firepower. Mine blew and took out my carema with it.

Now I'm using a 7812 regulator.

Happy Days.
Thanks

Must be why RangeVideo do not sell them any more. At least I can not see them there.

That is why I mentioned it may need a heat sink but I wonder if it will work on 5 volts. I am trying to check this out but can not find anything at present.

If it runs on 5 volts this should improve the reliability. Anyone know if it does? The regulator is shown in the photo in post 3075. Guess it will not hurt to try.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:31 AM
Joined Jul 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I am just setting up this 1 gram camera and 2 gram video TX on the AXN Floater to get some practice up and then put it on a smaller Swift. I have just started to install the gear but has anyone had to put a heat sink on the 3.3 volt power supply in the photo or is there a better power supply.

Anyone help with a Vee antenna for the 5.8ghz TX in the photo? I have just put a bit of wire on which will be no good.
Firepower,

As you are going to be using that setup on your wings, I'd suggest dumping that bulky linear regulator altogether (although it is a very good regulator).

I'm not sure how well it would work, but it would be MUCH more efficient to power one of THESE of your BEC (providing it's a switching bec). The thing would hardly even get hot!

I'm guessing you're powering the lot off a 3s battery? (12.6V) If that 5.8GHz Tx is the 200mW one which apparently draws 200mA and and the camera draws 60mA, your going to be using around 300mA as your antenna probably won't be tuned.

Linear regulators convert the excess voltage into heat so if you were using a 3s battery, you would loose (12.6V - 3.3V = 9.3V. 9.3V x 300ma = ) 2.79 Watts to heat. Now BEC's differ in efficiency so we'll forget about that for now. Using that 5V - 3.3V regulator and the same maths, you would loose about 500mW at the regulator to heat and save loads of space and weight. (I think that's the right maths)

If you need more help with it shoot me a PM. I can help with the V antenna also (though at the ranges you usually fly I reckon a dipole would be fine.

Also have you managed to find somewhere else to fly yet?
Nellik is online now Find More Posts by Nellik
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:34 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,782 Posts
Hello Lads,

I managed to actually put a battery through my Trilogy today, the result... Well... Here it is!!

Speed Kills (3 min 46 sec)
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:41 AM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Thanks

Must be why RangeVideo do not sell them any more. At least I can not see them there.

That is why I mentioned it may need a heat sink but I wonder if it will work on 5 volts. I am trying to check this out but can not find anything at present.

If it runs on 5 volts this should improve the reliability. Anyone know if it does? The regulator is shown in the photo in post 3075. Guess it will not hurt to try.
I tried to get another one to replace it but like you say they dont sell them anymore.

I dont think it had anything to do with heat because I had only just pluged it in. I had it set at 12v and run of 4s.

Now I'm using a 7812 regulator. They are linear and yes there are not the most efficient way of reducing power but the loss isn't great. You can tune out the noise with a couple of capacitors.

If you only want 5v just use a 7805.

Happy Days.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:42 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,918 Posts
Nice flying John
me_wantee is online now Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:45 AM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
543 Posts
I like hellik's idea. Use a switching BEC first to cut the voltage closer to the 3.3v you need.

Happy Days.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:00 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellik View Post
Firepower,

As you are going to be using that setup on your wings, I'd suggest dumping that bulky linear regulator altogether (although it is a very good regulator).

I'm using it in a bigger AXN Floater first but eventually a wing hopefully.
Still wondering if the linear regulator will work on an input of 5v.

I'm not sure how well it would work, but it would be MUCH more efficient to power one of THESE of your BEC (providing it's a switching bec). The thing would hardly even get hot!

I'm guessing you're powering the lot off a 3s battery? (12.6V) If that 5.8GHz Tx is the 200mW one which apparently draws 200mA and and the camera draws 60mA, your going to be using around 300mA as your antenna probably won't be tuned.

That is the TX but the RangeVideo One.

Linear regulators convert the excess voltage into heat so if you were using a 3s battery, you would loose (12.6V - 3.3V = 9.3V. 9.3V x 300ma = ) 2.79 Watts to heat. Now BEC's differ in efficiency so we'll forget about that for now. Using that 5V - 3.3V regulator and the same maths, you would loose about 500mW at the regulator to heat and save loads of space and weight. (I think that's the right maths)

If you need more help with it shoot me a PM. I can help with the V antenna also (though at the ranges you usually fly I reckon a dipole would be fine.

Also have you managed to find somewhere else to fly yet?
I have highlighted some comments above and looks like I need to make a regulator.

I'll PM you about the new location.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:02 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
I like hellik's idea. Use a switching BEC first to cut the voltage closer to the 3.3v you need.

Happy Days.
Guess I'll need to solder up a regulator - bugger nothing off the shelf.

EDIT: Even a one cell LiPo might be the easiest way. 3.7v
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Product=16575# This one is 3.3volts. Spot on.
Last edited by Firepower; Mar 08, 2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:38 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hello Lads,

I managed to actually put a battery through my Trilogy today, the result... Well... Here it is!!

http://vimeo.com/20783353
This is awesome!! exactly the type of flying I want to do.

Is that Stevie Ray playing Guitar Boogie

Cheers

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:40 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,782 Posts
Thanks Wantee!!

DOUG - Yep. The song is called Rude Mood, by the legend himself... SRV.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:54 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Note:
SRV died in helicopter crash.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:42 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hello Lads,

http://vimeo.com/20783353

Mongrel, that is some really nice flying man. I'm trying similar things with my tri, but at the moment, am keeping it quite high up, doing large manouvers and away from "stuff". It's really great to see what's actually possible with these things. Thanks for sharing!
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,782 Posts
OM - Yes... Sadly he did. He was doing a charity event and jumped in a chopper to go home - only the pilot slammed it into the mountain in thick fog. He would be one of the big reasons I play guitar, and in fact have a rare 92 issue SRV Signature Strat that is my baby. RIP SRV.

SUB - Thanks man - I love getting in there and amongts it. I already have my next adventure planned, but as I will be flying over some really hard ground, I am going to ut the GoPro back in its case. If I crash it would be destroyed without it.

Cheers
Mongrel
RCG Plus Member