HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:11 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
The_Mongrel's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,755 Posts
PETE - you need to get one of those Camel backpacks and fill it with something cool and refreshing!!

I am really hoping to have my Swept Wing EZ in the air this week / weekend. I have SO much to do though including putting the finishes on a Tri for John.

FYI - for those interested - I am in talks with a TV company about producing tricopters for their aerial photography work. Sounds exciting I know... but is early days yet, and don't have all the detail. I will fill you guys in once we have something sorted.

Cheers
Mongrel
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:17 PM
Registered User
spitfire_Doug's Avatar
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
Hi ommadawn.
Wanted to go to connie just to look for older module tx's.....I have one 9ch ready for DL.
Only problem with expensive model's that go really fast is.....they too can crash....quickly.
Setting up twin radian now for DL and endurace ...already doing 1 hour flights easily....need to get a comfortable deck chair and a cooler with a long straw.
Looking at diversity antena's....using two patch already with oracle....looking at long range Yagi and a standard for a tripod set up.
Jaycar have yagi's for around 100 bill's.....and looking at making inverted V for vtx's.
I need to spend some more time on my fpv tri....boxhead is having tooooo much fun by himself.
....Pete
I have one of jaycars 9dB yagi's and they work great.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:26 PM
Look outside the Square
Boxhead's Avatar
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
7 packs = 7 flights today. Might have to go to a Bigger Battery for longer flights. 6 1/2 mins at the moment on 2200mah. Just cant get enough. The lines on the screen are still there, seperate Batt too. I'll keep looking to try and clear it up so I can show you fella's some of my flights. Any idea's . Congrats on your Long Duration Flight. Dont get too comfortable in the chair Pete you might nod off . There's no rest for the wicked Mongrel. Hope it all Pans out for the TV venture . If Charlie Sheen can command $2 mil an eposide for being as high as a Kite , mate the world's your Oyster with a tricopter. Geez Ommadawn my misses would have my Testicles at $6000 for a model including both heads. There no good for anything but she would still cut them off . A lot of money and time lost. Poor Bugger.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:33 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
I need to spend some more time on my fpv tri....boxhead is having tooooo much fun by himself.
....Pete
You two are not on your own having all the fun!

I was blasting my tri around this morning, put two packs through it and spent the whole time in the goggles. I now have a total of just over 1.5hrs "inside". Doesn't sound like much, but I've learned a lot in that time. God it's fun.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:28 PM
disenfranchised...
AP_OZ's Avatar
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
g'day guys, as per the quoted text I have some stuff for sale:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsg View Post
G'day all,

I have some FPV gear for sale...

1. Fatshark 5.8ghz 100mw transmitter - new - comes with wiring loom and CCD camera. $50 posted.

2. 900mhz 100mw transmitter, receiver & CCD camera - new - all you'll need minus a tv or goggles to get flying.. $75 posted.

3. Easy glider wings modified for use with the easy star... Excellent condition. $40 + post.

Cheers,

John
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:18 AM
disenfranchised...
AP_OZ's Avatar
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Here's the latest project in place of the mini swift....

It's a 35in mini bee from windrider. Test flew it yesterday and it hoots!! Going to be similar to the mini swift in terms of flying style but so much better to fly.

Cheers,

John
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Last edited by AP_OZ; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:09 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsg View Post
Here's the latest project in place of the mini swift....

It's a 35in mini bee from windrider. Test flew it yesterday and it hoots!! Going to be similar to the mini swift in terms of flying style but so much better to fly.

Cheers,

John
Great to see it going so well. Mine is the opposite my mini swift flies great but not so great with the heavy FPV stuff on.

But my mini bee is bad. The motor broke out a big piece of foam after a bit of ground testing. I strengthened with balsa but must be too heavy. My problem was it kept doing wing tip stalls - all of the time without going too slow.

I suppose my C of G was right at 150mm from the nose but I tried it everywhere. I'll give mine to my mate the next time we go flying.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:20 AM
The Flying Circus
ommadawn's Avatar
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,918 Posts
Clean up Australia day sucks!
I had a folding chair secretly stashed under a huge bush at my favourite flying site, Hallett Cove. Its been there about a year and gets dragged out every time I fly there. I typically fly 1-2 hrs at a time so its necessary. I have enough to lug the 400m to launch without carying a chair as well.
Some do-gooder sod nicked it! Its probably trash now.
!@#$#@ greenies!
Im gonna go out and stomp on an endangered marsupial now...
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:03 PM
Not a Doctor
me_wantee's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Clean up Australia day sucks!
I had a folding chair secretly stashed under a huge bush at my favourite flying site, Hallett Cove. Its been there about a year and gets dragged out every time I fly there. I typically fly 1-2 hrs at a time so its necessary. I have enough to lug the 400m to launch without carying a chair as well.
Some do-gooder sod nicked it! Its probably trash now.
!@#$#@ greenies!
Im gonna go out and stomp on an endangered marsupial now...
lol
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:53 PM
Look outside the Square
Boxhead's Avatar
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Ommadawn, I'd say it was a male do-gooder. Anything surronded by Bush that gives pleasure to someone, well, he just couldn't help himself....

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Aussie Pete's Avatar
Joined May 2009
794 Posts
Ommadawn....watch Ebay...you might find it....hehehehehehehe.!!!!
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:24 PM
disenfranchised...
AP_OZ's Avatar
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Great to see it going so well. Mine is the opposite my mini swift flies great but not so great with the heavy FPV stuff on.

But my mini bee is bad. The motor broke out a big piece of foam after a bit of ground testing. I strengthened with balsa but must be too heavy. My problem was it kept doing wing tip stalls - all of the time without going too slow.

I suppose my C of G was right at 150mm from the nose but I tried it everywhere. I'll give mine to my mate the next time we go flying.
Yeah, I had the same problem with the mini swift but it seemed to go okay when above half throttle.. The only reason Im upgrading is the mini swift met a light pole and broke it in half! it was an easy fix but not the total weight has gone from 215grams to 250grams due to glue and reinforcement i had to put in.. So i decided to go for something bigger and better.

Your problems with the mini bee are interesting.. Ive had a couple now and they've all been really good and strong. Im thinking the problem you might be experiecing could be due to 2 reasons:

1. the wingtips they provide are useless.. If you havent already done it replace them with tips that are twice as tall and about 2/3 longer (see the first image I posted in my previous post - 3066). This will make it track better and improve its handling while flying slow.

2. (something I havent expereimented with) Differential: Ive heard heaps of people talk about the need to differential on bigger and heavier aircraft. Its essentially a lift vs drag situation and the more you reduce the drag when turning the better and more 'true' it will fly.. Ive played around with this on other aircraft and understand the concept from my PPL training but will pay more attn to it now and report back with results.

Cheers,

John.
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
144 Posts
ommadawn
It was a good thing you wernt sitting on the chair when they found it, you might be at the tip now.Thats funny

Beeper
beeper is offline Find More Posts by beeper
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:05 AM
Not a Doctor
me_wantee's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsg View Post
2. (something I havent expereimented with) Differential: Ive heard heaps of people talk about the need to differential on bigger and heavier aircraft. Its essentially a lift vs drag situation and the more you reduce the drag when turning the better and more 'true' it will fly.. Ive played around with this on other aircraft and understand the concept from my PPL training but will pay more attn to it now and report back with results.

Cheers,

John.
A bit more up than down is what you need on a chevron.
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:18 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsg View Post
Yeah, I had the same problem with the mini swift but it seemed to go okay when above half throttle.. The only reason Im upgrading is the mini swift met a light pole and broke it in half! it was an easy fix but not the total weight has gone from 215grams to 250grams due to glue and reinforcement i had to put in.. So i decided to go for something bigger and better.

Your problems with the mini bee are interesting.. Ive had a couple now and they've all been really good and strong. Im thinking the problem you might be experiecing could be due to 2 reasons:

1. the wingtips they provide are useless.. If you havent already done it replace them with tips that are twice as tall and about 2/3 longer (see the first image I posted in my previous post - 3066). This will make it track better and improve its handling while flying slow.

2. (something I havent expereimented with) Differential: Ive heard heaps of people talk about the need to differential on bigger and heavier aircraft. Its essentially a lift vs drag situation and the more you reduce the drag when turning the better and more 'true' it will fly.. Ive played around with this on other aircraft and understand the concept from my PPL training but will pay more attn to it now and report back with results.

Cheers,

John.
Wash your mouth out - the Mini Swifts and Swifts can not do anything wrong in my mind. After the MiniBee the MiniSwift was brilliant and still like it as about the best plane to fly. They are fast and so maneuverable.

If a MiniSwift does not fly properly it is all in the C of G. If it is just slightly back, they are uncontrollable. Like I said before the MiniSwift is brilliant without a hint of a wingtip stall and can glide perfectly all the way down from way up high. With the heavy FPV stuff on the MiniSwift that is another story but still flies. Various people have the MiniSwift flying great with the heavy FPV stuff on it. I put the LEDs on the MiniSwift for night flying and it is doing wingtip stalls occasionally but will check that out further in regard to C of G etc.

I am just setting up this 1 gram camera and 2 gram video TX on the AXN Floater to get some practice up and then put it on a smaller Swift. I have just started to install the gear but has anyone had to put a heat sink on the 3.3 volt power supply in the photo or is there a better power supply.

The little camera seems brilliant even when pointed at the sun.

As you mentioned:

1. I have not tried increasing the size of the wing tips on the MiniBee. It sounds like I should have but all the wingtip stalls every flight got to be funny but I had to watch where I flew it.

2. Yeh - would be interested on how you go with the differential. Apparently with normal planes it is only required on flt bottom wings. My new Easy* just falls down on turns and someone mentioned to do aileron differential. The Easy* has a flat bottom wing. I'll be playing with that now also.

I thought people put the coloured tape on the Bees because the foam is not the good stuff like in the Swifts. On the ElleBees I put the fibreglass and coloured tape on as per the instructions but it makes them quite heavy.

Good to see the MiniBee going with FPV. The small light FPV stuff I just got should go well on the MiniSwift.

Anyone help with a Vee antenna for the 5.8ghz TX in the photo? I have just put a bit of wire on which will be no good.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Mar 08, 2011 at 03:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FPV Car and Other Fun FPV Projects Thread: Crash9 FPV Talk 7640 Today 03:06 PM
Build Log Easy Fly Glider ST330 (Easy Glider Clone) FPV Build Thread SoMoney FPV Talk 493 Nov 12, 2012 03:08 PM
Discussion FPV Beginners Reference Mega Thread... rc_ron FPV Talk 167 Mar 24, 2012 07:31 AM
Cool Aussie XBOX Live thread ozzi supercub Australia 7 Oct 22, 2009 01:42 PM
Discussion FPV WARS (Thread for FPV "B" Movies) ch1 FPV Talk 8 Sep 16, 2009 05:37 PM