HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:45 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post
Doug

As an interim step, I would recommend replacing the arms with pine of near/saem size as a quick test. I have found wood arms to be excellent for lowering the weight of Tricopters. Very cheap, robust, easily replaceable, and absorbs vibrations from the motors/props. Not much on an investment to try it out.

Cheers

Roger.
Hey Roger,

That's a pretty good idea until I machine out the booms. Only problem is Il have to make a new tail pivot system. I might just replace the front two then .

Thanks Roger!

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
Spitfire Doug....weighed my trilogy last night ..with a 5000 lipo...fpv gear and seperate video battery.....AUW = 1.8kg.....thats heavy for me...!!!.
Performance and flight times are good ..around 18 minutes flight times with power & time to spare.
The tricopter will lift heavy weights , camera's etc which it was originally designed for , and to be a stable camera platform.....but as we all do...we push the limits to suit our different situations.
In general....all model's should be as light and strong as possible....this is where we get performance from....sure they can do extra work....but at a cost to performance "somehwere".
....Pete
Aussie Pete is online now Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Old Mar 01, 2011, 05:59 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Seeing as weight is topical at the moment I weighed the X450 yesterday with a Rhino 2200 3S 820 grams all up max flying weight is 1.4 kgs so I still have some room for the FPV gear and a bigger battery

Cheers Hutchy
kx315 is offline Find More Posts by kx315
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:21 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,055 Posts
My tri with FPV gear (no osd) and 2200 mAh Lipo is 970g. I might try doubling up my batteries and see if that gives me a significant increase in flight time.

s
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:06 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
I have just bought from Stergiopilus his surplus 5.8 gear trans, receiver & patch antenna so I can set up a short range set up to learn to fly the quad FPV.

Quick question are these goggles a good starting point?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=15128

Cheers Hutchy.
Last edited by kx315; Mar 02, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:06 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Well had 2 great flights with my Easystar FPV today even had a few of the dog walkers wave as I went past. My second video Tx arrived yesterday so I stuck it in my Tricopter. Made a few hops with it and with no damage ( boy thats unusual ) I'm hooked. Took a while for the Clacker Valve to settle but I'm determined to fly the Tri the FPV way. The Easystar has the osd in it but the Tri is naked. Do most of the fella's here fly their Tri's with no osd. I know you dont need it but maybe use it as a level reference point till your used to flying it. Does that sound Dumb.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:02 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,905 Posts
For mine, an OSD on a tri is like an ashtray on a motorbike. ok, useful for pack drain.
If your camera is set level and the horizon is level when you are flying, then you're level.
me_wantee is online now Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Mar 02, 2011, 03:37 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Last edited by Boxhead; Mar 02, 2011 at 03:51 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:19 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx315 View Post
I have just bought from Stergiopilus his surplus 5.8 gear trans, receiver & patch antenna so I can set up a short range set up to learn to fly the quad FPV.

Quick question are these goggles a good starting point?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=15128

Cheers Hutchy.
Never had Fatsharks but have a pair of foxtech AIO and I find them a PITA .
I wear glasses which makes it worse. The image quality is ok but compared to a TV I feel like I'm holding my Ipod up to my face. That's why I have a 15" LCD in the back of my van .

Best to just try some and see how you like them. Fatshark seem pretty popular so they are probably a good start.

Aussie Pete, what is the radius of the Trilogy? Mine's about 645mm. wondering if I should cut it down a bit as well.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:44 AM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
I wear glasses which makes it worse. The image quality is ok but compared to a TV I feel like I'm holding my Ipod up to my face. That's why I have a 15" LCD in the back of my van .

Best to just try some and see how you like them. Fatshark seem pretty popular so they are probably a good start.

Aussie Pete, what is the radius of the Trilogy? Mine's about 645mm. wondering if I should cut it down a bit as well.

Regards

Doug
The foxtech AIO accept the dioptre lenses you can get for the fatsharks so no need to wear glasses while using them. Just remove the rubber part and slide them into the slots provided.
SPG is online now Find More Posts by SPG
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:10 AM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post

Regards

Doug
Thanks for the feed back Doug.

Cheers Hutchy
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:28 AM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,096 Posts
Had my first proper taste of FPV today.

I knocked up a tape over foam A tail pusher glidery thing and threw it up. 2 circuits for maiden. 3 mins taking a mate for a joyride to make sure the video was ok. Then I put the goggles on my head, launched, climbed till I felt safe and slid down the goggles.

What an awesome feeling. I flew laps of the field, went out over the surf and did a bit of light pole slalom. Landed via the goggles on my first go which I thought might be hard to judge.

I did have range issues though with the controls and the vid got a bit rough at times. I have the cam on a servo to pan but I never used it so when the radio got a bit glitchy the servo was twitching about 20 degrees. I might unplug the pan servo for now and try running my aerial somewhere else. I never got further than about 500 metres away. 36MHz controls and 1.2GHz for vid.

Anyway, the weather was dull and rainy so I'll be out next sunny day with a few mods done

I need a mic too. Any ideas?

Matt
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:53 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,850 Posts
Actually having the pan servo glitchy is a simple way of getting feedback on your rc link, as you know instantly you start getting patchy reception. Try a different servo for pan too, or try rerouting the servo lead to reduce interference. Twitching can come from the VTX or the camera, as well as from weak rc link.
RV sell Tinymic which is cheap and works just fine. It needs to be set in sponge to cut wind noise and is quite sensitive, and has a gain pot. I have had some reliability issues so usually buy more than one.
Good to hear you had a sucessful intro flight.
Cheers,
Frank
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:56 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
Well had 2 great flights with my Easystar FPV today even had a few of the dog walkers wave as I went past. My second video Tx arrived yesterday so I stuck it in my Tricopter. Made a few hops with it and with no damage ( boy thats unusual ) I'm hooked. Took a while for the Clacker Valve to settle but I'm determined to fly the Tri the FPV way. The Easystar has the osd in it but the Tri is naked. Do most of the fella's here fly their Tri's with no osd. I know you dont need it but maybe use it as a level reference point till your used to flying it. Does that sound Dumb.

Bx

BOX - No OSD for my Tri, and soon I will be using the FRSKY Module in my radio with a current sensor to warn when the battery is low. I have never really felt the need for a horizon as such.

KX - Fat Sharks are the only way to go. Yes, I am a bit biased, but they really are good gear. FYI - I am hoping to have them back in stock in a couple of weeks - you can order them at my website. With the dollar as it is, the price has come down too.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:01 AM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
Boxhead....once you get the buzz of fpv ...well there's not enough flying days during the week...good work with the easy*.
Heard a package arrived at the office ..today.. sometime.
My tri's naked too...but I use a tilt servo on the camera..look not quite straight down for hovering...then tilt up for away flying..1/3rd sky and 2/3rd's ground...works a treat.
I have the same problem with the "clacker valve".

Spitfire Doug.... my Fat Sharks work OK for me, I take my glasses off for fpv and on for "the other way".
Ommadawn installed his goggles in a ski mask...that's gotta be comfortable as well as control over how far the eye is away from the screen's.
Tri one....640mm radius...1.6kg....no fpv "the other way"
Tri two...420mm radius...1.8kg...fpv.....no osd....use "clacker valve system"
The smaller radius ..."trilogy" at 420mm radius has been developed over many models and sizes in the" build a tricopter thread "in Aerial photography forum.
The trilogy size tri....feels very good.
....Pete
Aussie Pete is online now Find More Posts by Aussie Pete