HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:38 AM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
kx315....looks like you are going to master this X450 ...look forward to seeing what fpv gear youi install.
My tricopter..(trilogy) is working real sweet on 36 meg rc and 2.4 Fat Shark system....it has the range I wamt to operate at.... without problems.
Stay with it.....it's a buzzzzzzzz.........................Pete

http://vimeo.com/15895424
Aussie Pete is online now Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Tarot 650 Ironman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:50 AM
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
100 Posts
Hey Aussie Pete, thats a nice flyer you have there. I got to build one of those one day.

I was just posting here because I am in Adelaide and I need to buy a second hand rc tx for a dragon link. Preferably JR, Fatuba or Multiplex 72mhz.

I go on here and most of the people who are selling are in the states same for rc universe.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Justin
Justin C is offline Find More Posts by Justin C
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:26 AM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
kx315....looks like you are going to master this X450 ...look forward to seeing what fpv gear youi install.
My tricopter..(trilogy) is working real sweet on 36 meg rc and 2.4 Fat Shark system....it has the range I wamt to operate at.... without problems.
Stay with it.....it's a buzzzzzzzz.........................Pete

http://vimeo.com/15895424

Sweet set up mate thanks for the encouragement

Working on the FPV stuff now something from Hobby King I guess I run 2.4 so may have to go abit on the dark side

Suggestions are welcome
kx315 is offline Find More Posts by kx315
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:14 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Skywalker FPV, cool rc plane PULL UP!! (0 min 15 sec)

lol
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:01 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
That was a bit close wasn't it Kev .

With all these quads and tri's I thought Id post my new one up .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ0tTrEaPUQ

5000mah 4s should give me 10min of flying.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:45 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
That was a bit close wasn't it Kev .

Doug
Pfft, still had a good 10cm to spare... lol.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:48 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,672 Posts
Doug - Why 4S? If you used a 3S 5000mah you would probably double your flight time due to less weight!!

I use a 3S 4000mah on my tri and will get 15 minutes of relaxed flying.

Cheers
Mongrel
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:05 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,307 Posts
First recorded Zephre flight.
Flight of the Zephre.wmv (4 min 6 sec)

Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Doug - Why 4S? If you used a 3S 5000mah you would probably double your flight time due to less weight!!

I use a 3S 4000mah on my tri and will get 15 minutes of relaxed flying.

Cheers
Mongrel
A 3s makes it feel a little underpowered. I need to do a bit more work on it still I think. It hovers at around 400w , Around 4kg heavy. I will probably reduce the weight a bit to get longer flight times. Rock solid in the wind though .

Regards

Doug
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:42 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
A 3s makes it feel a little underpowered. I need to do a bit more work on it still I think. It hovers at around 400w , Around 4kg heavy. I will probably reduce the weight a bit to get longer flight times. Rock solid in the wind though .

Regards

Doug
4kg wow that will handle the West Oz sea breeze's!!!!
kx315 is offline Find More Posts by kx315
Last edited by kx315; Feb 26, 2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,672 Posts
4KG!!! HOLY COW!!!

Why so heavy mate? You can build a copter that will come in under 1KG and hover at 3S 12A!!

Is there a reason you built it so big?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
4KG!!! HOLY COW!!!

Why so heavy mate? You can build a copter that will come in under 1KG and hover at 3S 12A!!

Is there a reason you built it so big?
No not really, I just thought bigger will probably handle some wind better and so far it seems to cope better in wind than my signguy tri.

Its completely made of aluminium. I'm not worried about it being too heavy because I can probably machine out about half that weight. I only just finished building the frame and couldn't resist a hover .

Il probably have it back in the mill soon to go on a diet.

Regards

Doug
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:31 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,781 Posts
I get a clear 8-10 minutes of aerobatic flight on my tri running a 3S 1800mAHr - this battery weighs 153 grams! I run GWS 3-blade 9X5 props (one reverse pitch) and it hovers on about 11A. I've just fitted a Wii controller setup on it, so it's probably lost a few grams by getting rid of 4 separate gyros, and will likely be on 10A to hover - I'll report back with a weight shortly.

Gotta take the opportunity to highly recommend the Wii and MP+ controller - the PID controller plus the additional programming functions (like reducing PID at extreme throws/throttle) make the tri HEAPs more agile and stable ... and say goodbye to wobbly descents on all but free-fall. The hardware is cheaper than 4 decent HK servos too!

Just got back from the park throwing the tri around trying out moves that I wouldn't expect to be possible on a gyro-only copter. Haven't had the guts to attempt a loop yet, though. I'm waiting on a new camera in the post, so that I can build a removable FPV setup so that I can go exploring and test the range of the FrSky 2.4.

Cheers

Roger.
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,672 Posts
ROGER - How long do you think it took you to go from components to the air with the Wii setup?

I am intrigued by this setup, and I am in talks now with a TV production company to produce some Tris for them and am thinking of doing the Wii.

Cheers
Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:40 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,781 Posts
I've had the gear for a few weeks, but stuffed around for while because I can't solder to save myself, and was worried that I would either bridge across the closely spaced pin-holes, or melt the circuits in the boards. When I finally bit the bullet and filed my soldering tip to a finer point, it took a two evening's work to get wiring done. I was taking my time, testing at each step.

If I were to do it a 2nd time (which I will very soon, for my FPV tri) it would likely take half that time, and I'd not have to re-do things to get the wiring layout properly sorted.

The software, again, was a learning experience. Took a bit of stuffing around to get the Arduino downloader and config'r sorted, and to get the input and output streams happening properly. Once that was sorted the configuration was a frustrating process, until I properly secured the WMP board, which smoothed everything out instantly.

So, short answer is that it took my several evening's work to get the first one sorted. But, as is the usual story, I expect that the 2nd one would take one evening, and would be twice as neat, and it would fly close to perfect off the build table.

Was the effort worth it? Definitely. I've been flying Tri's for over a year now, and had reached what I thought was the limit of their fixed-pitch abilities and stability. The Wii is another step up again in both areas, and I'll be converting my FPV one as soon as the MP+ and NC arrive. Might even spring for a T-copter frame to get the tips of the props out of the Go-Pro FOV.

There's a lot of reading out there, but I got by using just a couple of the threads and a few well placed phone calls to Jay when I reached major hiccups. Not much different to when I built my first gyro-based-tri.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers

Roger.
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx